Which scanners work best with MacBook Pro laptops?
    Hello,
    I am a teacher and due to the corona virus I am having to do remote learning/teaching from home. Our district is requiring us to upload lots of documents, so as to make packets to give to the students.
    I was wondering if someone has advice on a high quality (up to $400-$500) scanner that WORKS WELL WITH MACS. I have an HP All-In-One at work, but the scanner function stopped working a long time ago. Speed is not critical. Will be doing maybe 10 docs at a time, maximum. Mostly tests, quizzes, articles from a student music magazine. Need something that will do 2 front/back with one pass. Probably with automatic document feeding. Wireless ability optional. Cables are more reliable anyway. Trying to avoid flatbed if at all possible. Previous exp. with them not good.

Very concerned about making sure that whatever I get has the proper software to communicate reliably with my loptop.
    And I am happy to purchase this software if needed.
    I am on a 2012 MacBookPro, High Sierra, version 10.13.6.
    Any help you can offer is much appreciated.Ty, Greg Sturgill

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by sturg View Post
    Trying to avoid flatbed if at all possible. Previous exp. with them not good.
    Does this mean you're leaning more to "All-In-One" printer devices (printer-scanner-copier)?

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Hello,
    I was wondering if someone has advice on a high quality (up to $400-$500) scanner that WORKS WELL WITH MACS....

I have an HP All-In-One at work, but the scanner function stopped working a long time ago...

Very concerned about making sure that whatever I get has the proper software to communicate reliably with my loptop.
    And I am happy to purchase this software if needed.
    I'm not sure what you are concerned about here. All scanners that claim to be Macintosh compatible usually "work well with Macs."

Is your problem that your HP stopped scanning because you upgraded to a new(er) version of the Mac OS for which HP didn't offer updated drivers?

I don't know how many times I've BEGGED Macintosh users not to purchase HP products because, even though they have decent hardware quality, their support for Macintosh users can sometimes be abominable. They are usually the last company to come out with new drivers when they are required by a Mac OS upgrade, and too often they will simply orphan a fairly new model by never offering updated drivers.

However, I may have a solution to get your older HP all-in-one scanning again. These companies sell commercial scanner drivers for scanners that have been orphaned. I can't tell you if either or both will work with your particular model because you haven't told us which model you have. But it's likely that they will work. Check out:

Vue-Scan
    VueScan Scanner Software for macOS Catalina, Windows 10, and Linux

Exactscan Pro
    ExactScan - High Speed Document Scanning

These drivers aren't cheap, but they are cheaper than throwing out a perfectly working scanner and buying a brand-new one. Vue-Scan's product is more geared towards folks who work with graphics. Exactscan is more geared towards business users.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Hello,
    I was wondering if someone has advice on a high quality (up to $400-$500) scanner that WORKS WELL WITH MACS. ... Speed is not critical. Will be doing maybe 10 docs at a time, maximum. ...Probably with automatic document feeding.

It seems intuitively wrong, but you can purchase an excellent multi-function machine that includes sheet-feed scanning, flatbed scanning, copying, and color printing, for far less than just getting a stand-alone sheet-feed scanner.

See if this one will fill your needs:

This multi-function has been extremely popular among Macintosh users. (I have its predecessor, and it’s wonderful.)

Canon PIXMA TR8520 ($100)
    https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Wireles...dp/B07W69T413/

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/p...in-one-printer

The Canon PIXMA TR8520 takes the CLI-281 ink cartridges. They come in three different capacities. Genuine Canon cartridges, of course, will be ridiculously expensive. So I recommend purchasing third party replacement cartridges. DO NOT get just any compatible cartridges though, they are likely to be garbage. But these are both excellent and reasonably priced:

Full set of extra-extra high capacity CLI-281 replacement cartridges for $50:
    Compatible Canon PGI-280XXL & CLI-281XXL Super High-Yield Ink Cartridge 5-Piece Combo Pack | Swift Ink

If you have a choice, I recommend attaching it via USB rather than Wi-Fi, as that will provide better performance.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Thread Information