External Monitor Scaling
    Hi, all

I recently bought a 4k monitor (Philips 278E1A) and have it connected to my macbook pro (2019 15") running Mojave. With the native resolution the font size is very small. When I go to display settings and choose "Scaled" I don't see the retina scaling menu with (Larger Text - More Space) I only see resolution options 3840x2160, 1600x900, 1280x720, and 1080p). I have a second 4k monitor that shows the usual options and it allows me to easily adjust the scaling to my preferred reading size. With the new monitor, changing the resolution just makes it blurry, or if I choose 1080p its very large. Is there a way I can choose the retina scaling options on this new monitor like I can on my other one?

Thanks!

Chris

External Monitor Scaling
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Does this give you a work around?

“Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Does this give you a work around?

Thanks for the response. I read through that, and didn’t see anything that could help. I’ve tried holding Option when I clicked Scaled, but it just gives me more lower resolution options that don’t help.

External Monitor Scaling
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    I was afraid that would be the case. I'm going to experiment with those settings on my monitor a bit to see if there are settings I like better than the defaults. I either didn't know, or had forgotten the Option key trick.

Kevin Durant

External Monitor Scaling
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by cpmiller22 View Post
    Thanks for the response. I read through that, and didn’t see anything that could help. I’ve tried holding Option when I clicked Scaled, but it just gives me more lower resolution options that don’t help.
    Unfortunately, hi-res 4K or 5K (especially retina) monitors all use a native resolution that provides a "fit" on the display that results in making everything seem small, especially writing. My 27" 5K iMac does the same thing and it took awhile for me to get used to it. Scaling only seems to make things blurry and there doesn't seem to be any middle road with these types of monitors.

The only thing I can suggest is to learn to live with it or return the monitor for one that you can use without eye strain.

External Monitor Scaling
    ...Is there a way I can choose the retina scaling options on this new monitor like I can on my other one?

Yes. See:
    How to Show All Possible Screen Resolutions for a Display in Mac OS X

You can also check out this utility:

SwitchResX ($16)
    SwitchResX - The Most Versatile Tool For Controlling Screen Resolutions On Your Mac
    (free demo available)
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance • http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

External Monitor Scaling
    Your Mac's Specs
    He's already tried the first suggestion and that didn't work for him. SwitchResX might work if he can get a resolution that's not blurry while enlarging the characters on the screen. Also, how well does it work with Retina screens?

Good news, I was able to solve my problem. I replaced the USBC hub I was using to connect the monitor to my Mac with a CalDigit docking station and connected it with a DisplayPort cable. I’m now getting the Apple scaling options not just the resolution settings I had before. Thanks for the help, and I hope this may help someone else having the issue.

External Monitor Scaling
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Oops, you never mentioned a USB-C hub.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

External Monitor Scaling
    Your Mac's Specs
    Good news, I was able to solve my problem. I replaced the USBC hub I was using to connect the monitor to my Mac with a CalDigit docking station and connected it with a DisplayPort cable. I’m now getting the Apple scaling options not just the resolution settings I had before. Thanks for the help, and I hope this may help someone else having the issue.
    Thanks for posting back and letting us know the solution.
    Kevin Durant

External Monitor Scaling
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Oops, you never mentioned a USB-C hub.
    Yeah, that certainly would have helped us to answer his question the first time instead of making other suggestions. Which is why we need all the details when trying to resolve a problem. However, good to know that he has now solved it and has a monitor he can live with.

External Monitor Scaling

Your Mac's Specs
    13" MBP, 27" iMac, Mac Mini Server, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7, 2-Apple TV Gen 4
    Late to this party, but I had a similar issue with trying to get a Mac Mini with a fit-Headless 4k adapter to show the needed resolution to view properly on my 27" iMac using Screen Sharing. There's a neat free app in the app store called Display Menu that gives you a wide choice of resolutions. Saved me a lot of fooling around with settings and Thunderbolt cables.

Thread Information