Problem with Apple Optical Mouse and wired keyboard
    Hi all!
    I have a question. I have an mid 2010 Mac Pro, an apple wired keyboard with optical mouse. I found recently that the built in USB port on the right side of the keyboard is supplying power to the mouse, but the mouse does not function. However, if I plug the mouse in to the port on the left side of the keyboard it works just fine. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can offer

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    A warm welcome to Mac-Forums. Thank you for your post.

There are several variants of the extended wired keyboards and they can have different ports. Find a magnifying glass, flip the keyboard over and look for a Model number like A1843, A1048, A1243, etc. Please tell us what you find.

On those with USB ports on the sides, those ports are only for attaching low-power USB devices, specifically mice. They do not produce enough power to charge anything or work with a mass-storage device like an external drive or USB flash drive.

I understand that the Mouse doesn't function, but how do you know that the right-sided port is supplying power? The likeliest explanation is that the right-sided port has failed - I'm assuming that the wired KB is as old as the Mac, ie 2010?

Ian
    Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your response. It’s a model 1243. When I plug the mouse in to that side the light comes on, but the cursor doesn’t move

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Thank you so much for your prompt reply and the info I asked for. I'm impressed

If you really want to check out this particular model, scroll down through this article till you find your Model number: Apple Keyboard - Wikipedia

I still suspect that the right-sided port has failed, at least in part.

Do you have any other mouse that you could test on this side? Probably not, I guess. You may end up accepting your situation or get another wired KB. It doesn't have to be Apple. Matias, for example do great KBs for the Mac and are much cheaper. Amazon sells them.

Ian
    Ian

Thanks Ian! I appreciate your help

Thread Information