Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thumbs up AllInOne Printer
    Hi,
    My suggestion is HP OfficeJet Pro. I purchased a refurbished 8720 from the HP website. It doesn't seem to be available now but check HP, they have an OfficeJet Pro 3830 all in one. Scan, Print, Fax, Copy, Wireless. Before buying check if you can buy Generic Ink cartridges, I get mine from Amazon. HP ink is expensive. The generic work the same at about 1/3 the price. Buying refurbished if fine but only if it's from the manufacturer and it comes with support and a warranty.

Combi Scanner/Printer suggestions?
    Thanks for the detailed comments.
    The Brother replacement that came up was the 6720 and 6920, but those are 7 years old as well.
    One review about the 6920 I didn't like:
    Like the printer. Dislike that they push a firmware updates that disable 3rd party ink cartridges. It's anti-competitive. Nobody tells me what brand of gas to put in my car, what brand of beer to buy or what brand of ink to use. I now have a drawer full of useless ink cartridges, a working printer, and I can't print a single page! I'm done with Brother!
    But I don't know if that is actually true.

The replacement for the 6920 is the 6930, but that one is over $100 more than the Epson and the print size and scan bed is smaller.
    I bought some 13 x 19 inch photo paper so that I can print some posters myself if need be - strange that only Epson (and I thought maybe HP) makes a consumer printer than can handle that size.
    I bought a Brother printer once - worked fine for normal paper, but heavier paper always got stuck because of the paper path - too tight of a 180 degree turn with the paper feed tray and the exit tray both at the front.

BTW - I have the Epson WF-7720 now, but I'm always looking for my next one. I use the printer a lot so they only last maybe 5 years.

The most annoying thing about this Epson is the printer software.
    I use the drivers and scanner software that comes with the Mac, that works fine, but for some reason Epson has built software into that printer where one has to select certain parameters like paper size - if the paper size I chose in the print menu on the Mac doesn't match the paper size selected at the printer, it won't print. I have to go to the printer to change the paper size which is just an unnecessary step.
    This printer replaces an Epson WF-7520, the previous model, which didn't have this issue.

I find that more and more in general - people who specify a software design or who actually write the software, seem to never use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Remag123 View Post
    Hi,
    My suggestion is HP OfficeJet Pro. I purchased a refurbished 8720 from the HP website.
    Not an option - only prints up to legal size.

Your Mac's Specs
    27" iMac mid-2011, ipad.Air 2', iPhone 8+.
    My 4(?) year old Epson WF-3640 is OK. Haven't tried printing photos on it. The only gripe is that it uses a lot of ink when cleaning print heads, sometimes multiple times to clear the print cartridge Liked my old HP that had print heads in the ink cartridge, unlike this Epson that has it in the mainframe.. Tried non Epson cartridges from Office depot but they would not work. Don't know of any place to get cheaper non OEM cartridges that would work. Scans great with Image Capture.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I end up buying Epson every time since there doesn't seem to be an alternative for my needs.

I need a scanner that can handle A3 or 13" x 19" paper and a printer that can handle the same size.
    Last printer I got was an Epson WF-7720 with two feed paper trains and a sible slot feed at the back - also a 30 page feeder for the scanner.

I have seen an HP AIO that handles that size paper, but for a Mac, HP was not recommended.
    I'm not sure but I believe HP can handle most if not all paper sizes. As to compatibility, I use an iMac 27" and a MacBook Air without any problems. I've used HP genuine cartridges and Generic cartridges again without any problems. The HP has not clogged or had any other problems. I used Epson printers for years and always had problems with clogged heads especially Yellow. Epson's prices have soared and the Eco Tank is a money maker for them. To repeat, HP is compatible with Mac. I have never cleaned heads with the HP whereas with Epson it was a weekly/monthly ritual.

Your Mac's Specs
    2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
    KRS mentioned that someone posted this about Brother printers:
    Like the printer. Dislike that they push a firmware updates that disable 3rd party ink cartridges. It's anti-competitive. Nobody tells me what brand of gas to put in my car, what brand of beer to buy or what brand of ink to use. I now have a drawer full of useless ink cartridges, a working printer, and I can't print a single page! I'm done with Brother!

KRS was right to doubt the truth of the statement.
    I don't know about all models, but mine has no problems with any generic ink cartridges I've used. (It uses #LC-79 & #LC-75 cartridges) I think the printer can't tell because there is no chip on the cartridge. I've used many brands, but prefer Oregon Ink & Toner because they take back Brother cartridges for proper recycling & plant a tree in its honor.

And one can cheat the Low Ink Warning by placing a piece of black tape over the cartridge's window. The waring comes on when there is still lots of ink left in the tank.

When there is a firmware update, Brother sends an e-mail notification. The updates are optional.

About paper sizes: I wonder if any brand printer with a manual loading slot would be OK printing a legal size or 8-1/2 by Even Longer page- if the software application (Like Pages or Word) told it to do so. My Brother default is up to Tabloid, but one time I made a custom size for 11 x 36" and sent it through the manual load slot successfully.

Paul
    Last edited by PGB1; 02-14-2020 at 09:07 AM. Reason: If put I words right in the order, post read easier to

Your Mac's Specs
    I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3
    I've never bought branded cartridges since my first Mac in 1994. In the UK there is a company (left out in case of breaking rules) that supplies a new printer/scanner/ photocopier if you buy several sets of their own branded cartridges. I do this about every 3 years. All printers, scanners, printer/scanners as branded names.

Your Mac's Specs
    I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3
    Free Printers. Printer/Scanerrs.photocopiers
    I've never bought branded cartridges since my first Mac in 1994. In the UK there is a company (left out in case of breaking rules) that supplies a new printer/scanner/ photocopier if you buy several sets of their own branded cartridges. I do this about every 3 years. All printers, scanners, printer/scanners as branded names and brand new in the box.

Your Mac's Specs
    2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 24GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
    Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread.

My news: after much to-ing, fro-ing and brow-furrowing over brands and technologies, in the end I found myself going for Epson (again! ) - an XP-3105. Picked one up at a good discount price at my local branch of Ryman: even cheaper than I could find the same model online, so props to them.

Setup was reasonably straightforward but boy was it long-winded: the "installation software" disk contains nothing but a weblink for obtaining the latest drivers etc., which seemed to take an absurdly long time to download. Anyway, it's up and running now, and doing what it's supposed to - but don't they all when they're new, eh?

Cheers all,
    Ken

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch,2017 Processor 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB 2400 MHz DDR4.
    I have an HP Envy Photo 7134 that replaced a similar earlier mode that lasted about 8 years having given very good service during that time. It provides very good photo quality, duplex printing, coping, scanning and quite mode etc. Connectivity with the iMac running Catalina is straight forward using a wifi the connection. Scanning software with the Mac works very well. There is also a slot for a memory card. As always ink cartridges are not cheap.

Updated link for compatible ink cartridges for the Canon PIXMA TR8520 all-in-one. It takes the CLI-281 series ink cartridges. They come in three different capacities. Genuine Canon cartridges, of course, will be ridiculously expensive. But these are both excellent and reasonably priced:

Full set of *extra-extra* high capacity cartridges for $50:
    Compatible Canon PGI-280XXL & CLI-281XXL Super High-Yield Ink Cartridge 5-Piece Combo Pack | Swift Ink
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Thread Information