Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Combi Scanner/Printer suggestions?
    I end up buying Epson every time since there doesn't seem to be an alternative for my needs.

I need a scanner that can handle A3 or 13" x 19" paper and a printer that can handle the same size.
    Last printer I got was an Epson WF-7720 with two feed paper trains and a sible slot feed at the back - also a 30 page feeder for the scanner.

I have seen an HP AIO that handles that size paper, but for a Mac, HP was not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by badshoehabit View Post
    Still fighting with it. It randomly refuses to recognise a 'compatible' colour cartridge (currently Cyan), says there's no paper when there is - minor things but very annoying as it's upstairs!
    Who did you purchase the compatible cartridge from? (It's good to know which vendors to avoid. They all don't offer the same quality cartridges.)

And why do you blame your Canon printer for a third-party ink cartridge that won't work with it? It isn't Canon's responsibility to make sure that third party consumables work perfectly, it's the third party's.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    It isn't Canon's responsibility to make sure that third party consumables work perfectly, it's the third party's.
    I don't know about Canon, but Epson tries very hard to have third part ink cartridges not work with their printers to the point where their own cartridges sometimes have problems and one has to re-seat them to work.
    I have seen a basic Canon printer advertised for $29.- Canadian - I'm pretty sure Canon made no money on that. Inkjet printer manufacturers depend on the profit margin of the cartridges they sell to make money with their printer/cartridge business.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I don't know about Canon, but Epson tries very hard to have third part ink cartridges not work with their printers to the point where their own cartridges sometimes have problems and one has to re-seat them to work.
    I've run into that problem with my Epson NX 420 (older printer) but can usually get the refillable cartridges to work after resetting the printer several times. It doesn't happen with every refillable only some. A pain but I live with it since genuine Epson cartridges are triple the price of the refillable ones.

I don't know about Canon, but Epson tries very hard to have third part ink cartridges not work with their printers ...
    I should point out that I wholeheartedly recommend Canon's inkjet printers for multiple reasons.

The biggest reason is that Canon's very rarely clog. This is the biggest problem with inkjet printers, and Canon inkjets are the most resistant to it. (Though, of course, they haven't eliminated the problem entirely.) Epson's are the worst in this regard.

Canon's inkjets use a different, more advanced, technology than other inkjet printers. They use a "bubblejet" technology which, instead of being based on a piezo electric crystal, it uses heat to create microscopic bubbles that propel drops of ink.
    Bubble jet technology - Canon Professional Network

Many Canon inkjet printers have printheads that aren't part of the ink cartridge, and they are easily removable from the printer, so if there is a clog you can just remove the printhead, soak it overnight and clean it.
    For example, Canon's instructions for removing the MX922's printhead:
    Canon Knowledge Base - Reseat or Replace the Print Head on a PIXMA MX722, MX922

Some Canon inkjet printers, such as the Canon PIXMA TR8520, offer BOTH a dye-based black ink (for use when printing photos) AND a pigment-based black ink (for printing crisp text that resists smearing) and it switches between them as necessary. Some other brands of inkjet printers don't offer a true black at all, they mix several colors to get an approximation of black.

Canon's tech support and support for Mac users have been excellent over the years. They quickly update their Mac drivers when necessary, and they understand Macs when you call support and don't talk down to you because you are a Mac user. (HP has been known for just the opposite. I strongly recommend against getting HP products for this reason.)

And, finally, I've found some really reliable sources for very inexpensive third party ink cartridges that work indistinguishably from OEM Canon cartridges. The best of these tends to be CarrotInk, and they often have sales on top of their already really low prices!
    Randy B. Singer

I would love to try a Canon printer.
    I have mostly just heard good things about them - my daughter has one and likes it.

However, I have not found a consumer wide format All-In-One which is what I need, something functionally like the Epson WF-7720.
    I used to have problems with Epson printer heads clogging up once in a while, but then I read that one should shut the printer down when not in use.
    So now I always shut it down in the evening, never leave it on over night and only turn it on the next day just before I have something to print.
    That seems to help a lot and I have not had any clog since I bought this Epson.
    I also tried refillable cartridges - they were just too much of a mess if I refilled them myself and to have it done meant two trips to the place.
    So now I get 3rd party ones from 123ink in Montreal which is just an hour down the road from me and I can get them the next day. So far, they work fine.

I would love to try a Canon printer.
    I have mostly just heard good things about them - my daughter has one and likes it.

However, I have not found a consumer wide format All-In-One which is what I need, something functionally like the Epson WF-7720.

This Canon all-in-one can print up to 11" X 17":

Canon PIXMA TS9520 Wireless
    https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...s9520-wireless

Robot Check
    Randy B. Singer

Your Mac's Specs
    2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 24GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
    A rather obvious thing to mention, perhaps, but... with an inkjet printer, print head clogging is largely dependent on how frequently the printer is used. Leaving an inkjet machine unused for weeks on end is like leaving the cap off a fountain pen - that nib's gonna dry up!

If, like me, you're not a frequent user, it's good practice to run the "print nozzle check pattern" routine about twice a week. This uses very little ink and helps to stop things getting gunked up. It needn't waste much paper, either - you can do 4 nozzle check patterns on a single sheet of A4.

As for replacement ink cartridges, I've NEVER bought manufacturer's own-brand ones! For donkey's years now I've got mine from a UK company (I'd better not mention their name in case it breaks the forum rules on advertising ) and been very happy with the quality of the ink and the functionality of the cartridges. They're covered by a full compatibility guarantee - the onboard chips are kept up to date with the latest firmware revisions, and should any cartridge fail to work with your machine, they'll give you a full refund. I've never had to ask for a refund because they've always worked. And, as well as being a whole lot cheaper per cartridge, they contain nearly 3 times more ink than the manufacturer's "high capacity" types.

Example:
    Epson Starfish 603XL "high capacity" cartridge: 4ml
    My favourite company's equivalent product: 14ml (at half the price)

No contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    This Canon all-in-one can print up to 11" X 17":

Canon PIXMA TS9520 Wireless
    https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/c...s9520-wireless

Robot Check
    Thanks Randy, I remember looking at that one before I bought the new Epson.
    Biggest problem with this Canon was that the maximum scan size was only 8.5 x 11.7 inches.
    I find that a bit odd that they make a wide-format AIO that can print on up to 11 x 17 inch paper but can only scan normal size sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsa View Post
    .......... they contain nearly 3 times more ink than the manufacturer's "high capacity" types.
    I actually found that to be a problem.
    On the Epson printers I have and have had, the amount of ink left in a cartridge is determined by the number of pages that have been printed - it doesn't reflect the amount really left in the cartridge.
    So the 3rd party cartridges I bought supposedly had about twice the amount of ink compared to the Epson brand.
    What happened is that the printer decided the cartridge was empty (or close to it) when in fact half the ink was still left in the 3rd party cartridge, so by removing the cartridge and plugging it back in I could reset the ink counter back to show full - so far so good, but now I took the risk that the cartridge would actual run out of ink before the printer indicated an empty cartridge and that's about the wortst thing that can happen on an inkjet - running dry.

I wonder how you handle that or how you can reset the ink counter, because once the printer "thinks" the cartridge is empty it won't print until one replaces the cartridge with a new one.

Your Mac's Specs
    2008 Mac Pro 3,1 (2 x 2.8GHz Quad-core Xeon) / 24GB RAM / ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT / El Capitan 10.11.6
    Interesting. An odd way for a printer to determine ink usage, and one that I find hard to credit, given that such a system couldn't possibly know how much of which colours might have been used to print any given page. Think of the difference in ink usage between a page of black text and a full-colour photograph - an ink monitoring system based on page-count would be pretty much meaningless. My Epson printers (my last machine was an R200) could always show me how much ink was in each colour of cartridge, and it varied from one colour to the next, depending on what I'd been printing. Likewise, I don't recall my cartridges ever running dry on me. Go figure!

I've had an HP Officejet Pro 8600 for years. I couldn't be happier with it.
    I bought one for my son years ago and he's still using it too!
    I've owned several other types and brands; this one has been by far the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Horsa View Post
    Interesting. An odd way for a printer to determine ink usage, and one that I find hard to credit, given that such a system couldn't possibly know how much of which colours might have been used to print any given page. Think of the difference in ink usage between a page of black text and a full-colour photograph - an ink monitoring system based on page-count would be pretty much meaningless. My Epson printers (my last machine was an R200) could always show me how much ink was in each colour of cartridge, and it varied from one colour to the next, depending on what I'd been printing. Likewise, I don't recall my cartridges ever running dry on me. Go figure!
    "Number of pages" was actually a method way back when - to be on the safe side, Epson would trigger the low ink warning when there was still a lot of ink left in the cartridge.
    That created a problem for them when people found out so then they tried different and better ways, like using the chip in the cartridge to actually measure the amount of ink used by each one.
    Things may have changed again - here is a bit of general info on that:
    Low-Ink Tech - How does your computer know how much ink is left in the cartridge? | HowStuffWorks

Your Mac's Specs
    2007 Mac Book Pro 2.2 Ghz 4 GB RAM SSD OSX 10.11 & 2006 MBP Stuck At 10.6.8
    I don't know if you already decided on a printer, but I have had a Brother MFCJ-6710 DW for 12 years. It is discontinued & I apologize but Brother's web site is down & I couldn't find the replacement number.
    It duplex prints & you can scan with the flat bed or the document feeder.

What I Like:
    a) It has 2 paper trays. You can have two different types (plain, photo, etc.) in each. The paper can be different sizes. Mine is loaded with Letter & Tabloid (11 x 17")
    b) It can connect by WiFi, USB or Ethernet. I use ethernet to the router for fast scanning.
    c) Separate color tanks: Yellow is most quickly used on mine, so I can swap in yellow only when needed.
    d) The head doesn't dry out because it self-cleans once a day or so if you have not printed. It cleans for about 2 seconds & very little ink is used.
    Some brands park the heads on a sort-of cap to keep the heads from drying out. That sounds like a smart idea.
    e) Generic ink is really inexpensive at about $2.00 per cartridge, which last for hundreds of pages of text. (Cheap because there is no chip on the tank.)
    f) You can use a giant black cartridge for less frequent changes.
    h) It has a page feeder for single sheets- one or many, thus if you are using color paper for one job, you don't have to empty your paper trays. (Envelopes, too)
    i) Tech support is actually helpful.
    j) This printer works flawlessly with VueScan by Hamrick- a fantastic program.
    My Favorite Feature- If I have to scan a bunch of two-sided papers I can stick them in the document feeder, scan one side. Then rotate them & re-feed.
    With VueScan I next press the Interleave button & it shuffles the pages in to proper order.

What I don't like:
    a) After 12 years, it is starting to smear the return address on envelopes, but not other thick paper.
    I flip the envelope over & print the return address on the non-flap side for a fix until I can clean inside. I suppose a roller is dirty.
    b) The included software is a huge hard disk space waster. I uninstalled it & use VueScan instead.
    c) When a printing job ends, it is several seconds before the printer finishes its Happy Dance so the next job can start.
    d) No recyclers want the cartridges, not even municipal, so they have to go in the trash. (No chip, so no value for the recycler)
    I crack them open & wash them out. Then I recycle the plastic. (I forgot a step- Get ink all over my shirt)

For any printer that I've owned, if one of the heads clogs & the cleaning cycle won't de-clog it, my trick is to put some 70% rubbing alcohol in an empty tank and print a page of the color that isn't printing. Example- If yellow is clogged, make a page with a yellow block & print it. It will use some other colors since your yellow isn't an exact match. This has always worked.
    I don't run the cleaning cycle because it dumps some alcohol-ink into the small reservoir that gets cleaning ink. Eventually it fills up & makes a mess. (Mine hasn't filled yet.)

One printer I owned, an Epson ink jet, simply quit one day. Calling tech support revealed that the printer has XX number of cleaning cycles available until it shuts itself down. It guesses the over-flow tray is full. Epson tech support said it could not be reset. I don't know if new ones have this problem or not.

I also had a Canon portable which printed well, but scan was terrible due to low maximum resolution. (Probably because it is a portable.)
    But, based on this thread, when the Brother dies I'll try another Canon. My wife has an Epson that has been trouble prone since it was new.

I hope this stuff helps you decide!
    Paul
    Last edited by PGB1; 02-13-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    @Horsa

Lots of opinions to glance over.

Choosing a printer is sort of like choosing which flavor of ice cream you like... some of us like vanilla, others like chocolate, and again a some of us like strawberry.

Also, we tend to make a decision based on personal experience with a certain printer we formerly owned.

Have fun choosing!

Thread Information