Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Question Need a Thunderbolt 3 Hub w/ Multiple Thunderbolt 2 & USB 3.1 Ports
    Hi! I need a USB C hub with at least (3) USB 3.1 ports and at least (1) Thunderbolt 2 port for external drive and peripherals that do not have pass-throughs. I've been unable to find this so far. Does anyone know of something for this?

Something like this would be PERFECT if only it had a Thunderbolt 2 port in addition. Robot Check

Thanks for your help :-)

Need a Thunderbolt 3 Hub w/ Multiple Thunderbolt 2 & USB 3.1 Ports
    Do you only have one USB-C port on your Mac?
    These guys seem to have pretty much every combination except what you need
    https://www.primecables.ca/en/c-1994...true&view=grid

What is the TB2 port used for - maybe some other connectivity could be used.....

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    This might be the closest you will find, Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple. Then you may need another adapter as well?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    This might be the closest you will find, Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter - Apple. Then you may need another adapter as well?
    Thanks, guys. I already have (2) Thunderbolt 2-to-3 adapters on my 2019 iMac. These are currently in-use with (1) my audio interface and (2) daisy-chained large external RAID arrays. That leaves me with no more Thunderbolt 3 ports, but I need to add some Thunderbolt 3 SSD's to the mix for high-speed 5K RAW video post, so I'm stuck.

From what I can gather, it sounds like I'm SOL.

Maybe rethink all of your connectivity including the current one.
    This TB3 dock seems to be highly recommended - probably pretty pricey
    CalDigit | Thunderbolt 3 Dock | TS3 Plus

Thanks for the rec. I've looked at this one. It would be perfect if it had one more Thunderbolt port. The problem is I need to add a TB3 (or TB2 port). A dock like this would work if I could find a Thunderbolt 2 or 3 splitter, but I'm not having any luck with that either.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdigital View Post
    Thanks for the rec. I've looked at this one. It would be perfect if it had one more Thunderbolt port. The problem is I need to add a TB3 (or TB2 port). A dock like this would work if I could find a Thunderbolt 2 or 3 splitter, but I'm not having any luck with that either.
    You may not like it, but buy two of them, it seems like the only option available, at this time.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdigital View Post
    I don't have any first hand experience with Thunderbolt, but as I understand it, TB3 uses the 'daisy chain' concept to connect multiple TB3 devices, same idea as Firewire, so TB3 devices should have an in and out port for daisy chaining same as FW400 and FW800 devices had, well many of them, not all.
    So I doubt you will ever see a TB3 splitter
    For Thunderbolt 2 there is the odd device that gives one two TB2 outputs like this one
    Thunderbolt 2 Displayport/HDMI 4Kx2K Docking Station | Laptop Docking Stations | StarTech.com
    maybe that can help you with your connectivity - sorry, I'm not familiar with the devices you have so I can only provide some options that may be of some use.

Thanks all. Again, with these docks, the 2nd TB port is used to connect to the computer, so it is not actually adding a TB port.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    To expand on what krs said in post#8, all TB designs are for daisy chain, from TB to TB2 and now TB3. You can daisy chain different devices, like a display and a drive, for example, with no problems with either (I'm doing that right now with TB2).

So I would suggest you reexamine the way you are configuring things to make use of the daisy chain that is built into the TB protocol.
    Jake

What am I misunderstanding here? I'm trying to add a Thunderbolt port. There are only 2 on the 2019 iMac. I cannot find a dock or hub that adds a TB port. There are docks with 2 TB ports, but they do not add one because one TB port is used to connect to the computer and the other port washes out mathematically with the one the dock is plugged into. So there is a net gain of 0 TB ports. My TB devices do not have a TB passthrough port, so they are a dead-end and I can't daisychain anything else onto them. I can't figure out why everyone's saying I should reexamine how I am configuring things. There is no way to configure them that adds a TB port.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Sorry, I took this:
    I need to add some Thunderbolt 3 SSD's to the mix for high-speed 5K RAW video post
    to mean you were looking to buy these devices. All I was suggesting was that you get at least one of them with a daisy chain potential.

If you have already bought these dead-end drives, then you will need to look for a dock with THREE ports to gain that one you need. I don't know of any with three, as the daisy chain design makes that generally not needed. All of the docks I have seen only have two ports for TB.

Here is an article on the best TB3 docks available as of January, 2019.
    Jake

Ok, that's what I thought... The tricky thing for me is that this iMac setup is moving into a recording booth and needs to be silent, so I need to switch external hard drives over to all SSD, and I don't know if any ext drives with passthrough that are SSD. I guess I'm SOL.

I find that very misleading when a manufacturer advertises a hub with two TB ports and they include the TB port that connects to the Mac.
    Those manufacturers really need to spell that out better as some of them do by stating "two Thunderbolt 3 (one for the host cable)"
    After all, when I look at a 4-port or 7-port etc. USB dock, I get 4 or 7 ports to connect devices to, the connection to the Mac is not counted as a "port".
    For instance:
    Robot Check
    ....but the terminology is always the same.

Couldn't agree more. I can't imagine how many people have purchased items like that not realizing they weren't really getting that expanded TB connectivity. I almost got duped myself.

Thread Information