Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Need a Thunderbolt 3 Hub w/ Multiple Thunderbolt 2 & USB 3.1 Ports
    I must have missed something in this thread
    In your initial post you stated that the hub you linked to would be PERFECT if it just had a TB 2 port
    Quote Originally Posted by jsdigital View Post
    Hi! I need a USB C hub with at least (3) USB 3.1 ports and at least (1) Thunderbolt 2 port for external drive and peripherals that do not have pass-throughs. I've been unable to find this so far. Does anyone know of something for this?

Something like this would be PERFECT if only it had a Thunderbolt 2 port in addition. Robot Check
    That hub has 4 USB 3.1 ports, so I assume 4 USB 3.1 ports plus a TB2 port would meet your needs.
    I'm not sure where the two TB3 outputs came from.

But hubs with a TB2 port out and three or more USB 3.1 ports out are definitely available like this one for instance

https://www.cablematters.com/pc-887-...delivery.aspx#

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    What about swapping the drives for USB3 interfaces? There are a lot of TB3 docks with multiple USB3 ports.
    Jake

You're right, I should have said "it would be PERFECT if it just had 2 TB ports. I'm trying to add a Samsung X5 TB3 SSD to the mix here. My current peripheral configs are:

1 TB2 Universal Audio Apollo Audio Interface (connected directly to iMac TB3 Port 1 w/ a TB2>3 adapter)
    2 TB2 Daisy-chained RAID arrays (the first in the chain is connected directly to iMac TB3 Port 2 w/ a TB2>3 adapter)
    3 USB 3.1 Samsung T5 SSD's

This means I cannot take advantage of TB3 speeds with a Samsung X5 TB3 SSD because there are no available TB3 ports. If I added it to the open port at the end of my RAID array, I wouldn't be getting TB3 speeds, because those drives are TB2. I also cannot add the audio interface to the end of the RAID daisy-chain because I need the RAID's powered down any time the audio interface is in use.

Everyone sufficiently confused yet? Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    What about swapping the drives for USB3 interfaces? There are a lot of TB3 docks with multiple USB3 ports.
    Is there are TB2 > USB 3.1 Type A adapter? Or are you recommending I completely swap out the RAID array for USB 3.1 Type A drives? If the latter, that would be cost-prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by jsdigital View Post
    You're right, I should have said "it would be PERFECT if it just had 2 TB ports. I'm trying to add a Samsung X5 TB3 SSD to the mix here. My current peripheral configs are:

1 TB2 Universal Audio Apollo Audio Interface (connected directly to iMac TB3 Port 1 w/ a TB2>3 adapter)
    2 TB2 Daisy-chained RAID arrays (the first in the chain is connected directly to iMac TB3 Port 2 w/ a TB2>3 adapter)
    3 USB 3.1 Samsung T5 SSD's

This means I cannot take advantage of TB3 speeds with a Samsung X5 TB3 SSD because there are no available TB3 ports. If I added it to the open port at the end of my RAID array, I wouldn't be getting TB3 speeds, because those drives are TB2. I also cannot add the audio interface to the end of the RAID daisy-chain because I need the RAID's powered down any time the audio interface is in use.

Everyone sufficiently confused yet? Haha.
    Thanks, that clarifies things quite a bit for me.

So the obvious solution, ha, ha - thinking outside the box......

Trade you iMac in for a Mac that comes with four Thunderbolt 3 ports, iMac Pro or MacBook Pro.
    In the end that may not be much more than buying these hubs (that don't seem to exist) and could also be less of a cable mess.

Oh, lordy, you should see my cable management in this studio; it's a nightmare. I mean... behind the curtain it's a nightmare.

Well, trading in the new iMac is out of the question for now. I guess I'll have to wait for an external TB3 hub (assuming one ever gets made!) For now, I just ordered another 2TB USB 3.1 SSD and I'll use that for projects I'm currently in post on. Actually, I just BlackMagic'd my TB2 RAID array, and it's doing Read/Writes of only around 220 MB/s. Which will be doubled by swapping the SSD into the workflow. Hopefully I can minimize my reliance on those bigger external TB2 drives. Plus, I've had them for about 5 years now, and I'm worried about how many more years they have on this earth...

I wonder what sort of transfer speeds I'll get with the new Samsung T5 when connected via Type A 3.0 vs. Type C. It's weird AF to me that these new iMac's USB-A ports are all 3.0 and not 3.1...

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    It's weird AF to me that these new iMac's USB-A ports are all 3.0 and not 3.1...
    Why? Your 2 Thunderbird 3 ports are already USB 3.1. Apple provided the remainder ports as 3.0 for compatibility purposes.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    have you seen this hub, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07PVKHZLJ...language=en_US, and it looks like you can get 2, one for each port?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information