Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Thread: External SSD

External SSD

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB. + macbook
    External SSD
    Hi again all,

As some of you will know, I've recently fitted an SSD to my imac along with upgrading the ram from 8 to 16GB. I now have a WD external drive with a platter. I had to erase the drive because I hadn't formatted it to APFS which meant I couldn't do the update to 10.14.6. You all know the story: Erase the external HDD, reformat and using CCC, clone it. Then erase the SSD, reformat etc. When I went to clone the SSD from the HDD... boy was it slow, so I'm thinking I'll get a 1TB SSD to fit in the enclosure that I have.

At last the question: Any recommendations for SSD's in Australia? I looked at Macfix Australia and have to admit the prices are frightening, so I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    Pete.

External SSD
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by hoody View Post
    At last the question: Any recommendations for SSD's in Australia? I looked at Macfix Australia and have to admit the prices are frightening, so I'd appreciate any suggestions.
    Does the SSD need to be sourced from Australia? If prices are scary down under...use OWC (macsales.com) here in the US.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

External SSD

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, 21.5",OSX, Mojave Late 2012. Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5. Memory 8GB. + macbook
    Hi Nick. I replied to you a while ago but it hasn't appeared. I didn't get an email either. Anyway, macsales, USA don't send to Australia so I carried on looking and on Amazon, found a 'Crucial' MX500, iTB SSD for A$169.00 posted to me. I've got an enclosure that I bought from Jaycar (more or less your radio shack) that has the sata to usb cable. It has good reviews for normal use, (I don't do gaming) but I'd appreciate a few comments about others experience with them.
    Pete.

External SSD

Your Mac's Specs
    Various Mac's
    Here in the UK I use Crucial MX500 SSD's both personally and at work, and am happy with them, no adverse issues.
    Steve
    UK

External SSD

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks Steve. They did sound OK according to the reviews I read. I'll get one ordered.
    Pete.

External SSD
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    I bought from Crucial in the Uk and had no problem getting a replacement when an issue arose with a memory chip.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

External SSD
    Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by hoody View Post
    Anyway, macsales, USA don't send to Australia...
    Are you 100% sure about this?...OWC/macsales.com always used to ship to Australia.

Not sure if this was an earlier conversation with you or not...but I know we discussed recently that shipping replacement batteries to Australia from the US was something OWC wouldn't do...but don't think there should be an issue shipping an SSD.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

External SSD

Your Mac's Specs
    Once again, sorry for the late reply. I've checked my settings and I should be receiving an email when I get a reply.
    Anyway, I ordered the Crucial 1TB. It does get a pretty good review as well as Steve and Sues replies. My apologies to you as well Sue.
    It's due to arrive tomorrow (Wednesday).
    Pete.

Thread Information