Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Portable drive needed compatible with Yosemite 10.10.5

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Pro and 2.16Mhz MacBook Pro
    I wonder if anyone might be able to help with a dilemma I have. I am running Yosemite 10.10.5 and I need a portable backup drive that is compatible with my OS. I bought a Lacie unit last month (Cosmetically identical to one I already own) only to discover that it wasn't compatible. It would seem my OS is rather old. I don't want a a refurb' or used one, so where do I get one. Any ideas would be very welcome. It seems odd to me that older OSs would be incompatible given the nature of backup drives. They are intended to store saved data, which maybe for years!

The first option is to try to see if you can upgrade your machine to a newer version of macOS, like El Cap or whatever is supported.

Barring that, your other option is to find an external drive that doesn't rely on any software to make it do anything special. Anytime there is software involved, it's going to be end up requiring a recent version of macOS to operate.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Any drive should be compatible with your operating system. Can you be more detailed about the problem with the LaCie? You should not need any special software or drivers to get a drive working with Yosemite. Just connect it and format it using Disk Utility.
    Jake

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I have a close family friend who is 85 years old with an Operating System that matches his age, ie Snow Leopard OK, a slight exaggeration.

I supply him with the External Hard Drives he needs for Time Machine and other backups. These Drives are all brand new and work absolutely fine. Most have been Seagate or Western Digital, but at least one was, until recently, LaCie.

Like Jake, I don't understand the problem exactly.

Ian
    Ian

Basic dumb drives will work fine, it's these newer drives that have 'smarts' in them that's the issue. There are, for example, many Samsung USB flash drives are won't work properly until you install their companion software which gives you control and "security" over the data. Unfortunately, those drives are useless with dumb devices like cars where you can't run that software. External hard drives are similar in that regard.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Ashwin, I've never seen one of these "smart" drives. I've seen where the vendor included some custom software to do backups, but not to just connect. I don't use Samsung for anything, and if they are now doing what you say, I am not going to start.
    Jake

Maybe if the OP posted the model number of the LaCie drive we could figure out what the problem is.

I have also never heard of a drive that requires a particular OS to work.

Some have special back-up and/or security software on them - I just reformat the drive to get ridof all that garbage which is usually window-centric anyway, and then use the drive.
    The only thing I tend to check is if the external uses a standard USB/SATA bridge - some of the WD don't and I avoid those.

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I have two LaCie drives but they are a few years old now. As with all EHD's I have bought I erase it completely using Disk Utility and format as Macintosh Extended (Journalled).
    If the EHD can be seen in Disk Utility then that is what i would suggest. If not then one would have to take it back to the point of purchase. It seems EHD's are getting too smart for their own britches.
    Kajaboss, did the sales person say it was compatible with macOS or did it have the macOS logo on the box (looks like the Finder icon)?

It would be a good idea to upgrade your OS if your device is up to it, that may well solve your problem and your current macOS is unsupported now, meaning it will not get security updates so you are a bit vulnerable to online malware and hacking.
    I used to be conceited but now I'm perfect.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    It would be a good idea to upgrade your OS if your device is up to it, that may well solve your problem and your current macOS is unsupported now, meaning it will not get security updates so you are a bit vulnerable to online malware and hacking.
    It shouldn’t be needed though.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Thread Information