Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hitachi SATA hard drive won't fit enclosure
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    From the pictures posted by the OP it looks as if the heads are already ruined.

Years ago I bought some bits that were especially designed to remove screws with a damaged head like these - That may be something the OP needs to find and use.

Yeah, not exactly in the most pristine shape. And yes, I can guarantee you that there will some type of tool available for almost anything you can imagine doing, but sometimes the trouble is finding them.

And just in case, I'm assuming that the screws involved are actually designed for counter-clockwise rotation when removing, and I trust that the OP knows that. Turn lefty for loosy, turn righty for tighty!!! Except when they are left hand threads, then the reverse applies.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I just saw the pictures of those damaged heads and Was about to to suggest pliers but I see you discovered the solution on your own. Nice work.

For those interested a decent pair of needle nosed pliers should ve sufficient. Obviously it does not need to be a pair with large jaws for these screws.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Except when they are left hand threads, then the reverse applies.
    You might be old enough to remember that some autos came with left-handed lug nuts on the wheels. I'm trying to think which autos had them back then but anyway, the idea was that the lug nuts would not come loose when driving. Was comical though watching some poor soul trying to change a flat tire on a wheel with left handed threads.

Some ceiling fans and certain other fans have the blades bolted on with left handed threads. I have two of those here at home. I always have to remember that when removing the blades to clean them.

You might be old enough to remember that some autos came with left-handed lug nuts on the wheels.

Yup, sure am old enough, and some cars still do, just as lots of high end cars did in the '60s and '70s when I worked in a Speciality Car Garage, and I think some still do, as did a lot of boats use left-hand thread nuts on their propeller hubs/nuts depending on whch way they generally rotated.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I still think, based on the picture in #24, that the heads were hex, maybe imperial and not metric. Every time I've seen a stripped out Torx head the result is basically round, not hex shaped. And I have seen hex heads on drive mountings before, particularly if the drive was installed by after-market technicians. For the OP and anybody who may stumble on this thread later on, an Allen-type hex wrench should just fit snugly in the hole, with no wiggle at all. That way the full face of the wrench is pressing on the full face of the screw on all six sides. If it wiggles before you start you will round off the hole without taking it out.

Good job getting it done. Pliers were going to be my next recommendation.
    Jake

I still think, based on the picture in #24, that the heads were hex, maybe imperial and not metric....
    For the OP and anybody who may stumble on this thread later on, an Allen-type hex wrench should just fit snugly in the hole, with no wiggle at all. That way the full face of the wrench is pressing on the full face of the screw on all six sides. If it wiggles before you start you will round off the hole without taking it out.

+1.
    I totally agree.

Also, needle nose pliers are not the best tool for such a job, they usually can't exert sufficient gripping force. Blunt or stubby nose designs would be a better solution but not as good as using the proper good fitting tool, and of good quality.

I've seen many cheap quality tools make a relatively easy job turn things into a horribly hard one.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I resorted to pliers because the heads on the screws in question were already ruined. The tool I had for removing stripped screws was really to large for that size screw. Unfortunately the smaller vise grip pliers I have were nowhere to be found. Haven't had much luck with blunt nose pliers for this job.
    Kevin Durant

I resorted to pliers because the heads on the screws in question were already ruined.

I just mentioned needle nose pliers specifically, for not being the most ideal tool for the particular job, but there are a lot of different designs that could work well that all go under the name of pliers.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Agreed. The pliers I used were similar to those sometimes used to make jewelry. These have serrated jaws similar to the vise grip pliers Dennis mentioned but the jaws don't lock in place.
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information