Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Looking for a new printer--any recommendations?
    Your Mac's Specs
    16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    . . . However, one thing I like to point out, last time I looked at colour laser printers, they were not suitable to print colour images.
    They were OK to print colour text or line drawings but not to print a colour photograph.
    Don't know if that has changed but I doubt it.
    Honestly, the last time I looked at inkjet printers, unless you popped for a high dollar model, they weren’t really suitable for printing color photos either. For my usage the color laser is fine. If I want photo quality prints, I order them online.

BTW, not saying you can’t get decent prints from an inkjet, just that my usage doesn’t warrant the cost in consumables (dried up or wasted ink) or equipment, since I seldom print photos. But, when I do I want the best I can get
    I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    If I want photo quality prints, I order them online.
    That's what I do also. I can order online to Walgreens and pick up my order in an hour or so. And the cost per print comes out to a lot less than buying a photo quality printer and then the paper to go along with it. Ink refills for a photo quality printer will send you to the poor house.

BTW, not saying you can’t get decent prints from an inkjet, just that my usage doesn’t warrant the cost in consumables
    Heck, we have a fairly decent Canon PIXMA photo printing printer, MX 922, and use good but cheap third party inks, but there's no way we could buy the photo paper and get any quality output even close to the cheap price of what COSTCO, Staples or our London Drugs copy centers etc. can supply good quality color prints for.

BTW: I bought the MX 922 on sale for $79.00cdn to replace the PIXMA MG5620 ($69.00 on sale) that started to go goofy.

So far so good for the small amount it get's used.

PS: They both used the same ink cartridges types of which I had spares. That save some more money. ;-)

- Patrick
    ======

I buy Epson non-OEM cartridges for just over $1.00 each from an ebayer in BC.
    It's a two-part cartridge where the outer frame contains the chip and the inner plastic insert the ink.
    One reuses the outer frame, the expensive part and just replaces the inner portion with the ink at just over $1.00 each, so consumables are pretty cheap in my case.

But for me, the thing that limits the printers I can use is that I need both large format printing and large format scanning - sizes like 13 x 19 inches.
    Thd only reasonably priced printers I have found are Epson and HP, both ink jets.

But for me, the thing that limits the printers I can use is that I need both large format printing and large format scanning - sizes like 13 x 19 inches.
    Thd only reasonably priced printers I have found are Epson and HP, both ink jets.

I don't know how many similar large format scan/print jobs you have to do each day/month, but if it's not very many, that sounds like a job to be left for the local scanning/printing shops. Then just dive over and pickup the completed product. The expenses to do so may also be elegible for some tax write-off or expense reduction.

PS: Don't forget to include the costs for stopping by the local Pub and a pint or so and maybe a Pub snack!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information