Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

APC Back-UPS 550 - intermittent clicking - is this fixable?
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Hi All - I have about a half dozen APC UPSs in the house - the largest one is connected to my iMac/modem/router (recent dual battery replacement); 2 smaller ones connected to my den electronics (2 older ones as potential backups) - the APC BU 550 has been intermittently clicking when I turn on my receiver in the morning (goes into sleep mode) - I can usually turn off the UPS and restart w/o a problem but lately needs a couple of power recycles - this morning I exchanged the UPS w/ another - I've read a half dozen threads on the web related to this issue and the main suggestions have been: 1) AC power dips (doubt an issue for me); 2) Battery needs changing (the UPS gives no sign of this need and I'm not sure 'how old' the battery is?); and 3) Battery charging circuitry in the UPS is malfunctioning?

Now at this size, these are inexpensive purchases, i.e. on Amazon an APC replacement is about $73 and the battery $30 (pic below) - I would just replace the battery to save 40+ bucks but if the 'clicking' is a malfunctioning unit, then not a solution. Would appreciate any comments - thanks. Dave
    Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 1.02.15 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Hi All - I have about a half dozen APC UPSs in the house - the largest one is connected to my iMac/modem/router (recent dual battery replacement); 2 smaller ones connected to my den electronics (2 older ones as potential backups) - the APC BU 550 has been intermittently clicking when I turn on my receiver in the morning (goes into sleep mode) - I can usually turn off the UPS and restart w/o a problem but lately needs a couple of power recycles - this morning I exchanged the UPS w/ another - I've read a half dozen threads on the web related to this issue and the main suggestions have been: 1) AC power dips (doubt an issue for me); 2) Battery needs changing (the UPS gives no sign of this need and I'm not sure 'how old' the battery is?); and 3) Battery charging circuitry in the UPS is malfunctioning?

Now at this size, these are inexpensive purchases, i.e. on Amazon an APC replacement is about $73 and the battery $30 (pic below) - I would just replace the battery to save 40+ bucks but if the 'clicking' is a malfunctioning unit, then not a solution. Would appreciate any comments - thanks. Dave
    Screen Shot 2019-07-04 at 1.02.15 PM.png
    Yes, the clicking is indicating overloading. In the circuitry. This sounds like a system fault developing.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    @Dave:

That's usually the sign of a faulty battery in the UPS. However, it could also be a system fault as member "rachalmers" pointed out. In my experience with the less expensive UPS units, it's not worth replacing the battery. I just replace the entire unit for a new one. Be sure to recycle the old one if you choose that route.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post
    Yes, the clicking is indicating overloading. In the circuitry. This sounds like a system fault developing.
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    @Dave:

That's usually the sign of a faulty battery in the UPS. However, it could also be a system fault as member "rachalmers" pointed out. In my experience with the less expensive UPS units, it's not worth replacing the battery. I just replace the entire unit for a new one. Be sure to recycle the old one if you choose that route.
    Hi Guys - thanks for your prompt responses - we have pretty stable AC in Piedmont, NC (unless electrical storms are in the area) and I have just my stereo receiver & CD player plugged into the 'faulty' UPS unit, so I suspect it's the battery and/or unit's circuitry; also it's an older UPS, so a new one is a good suggestion rather than trying just a new battery. Plugged in another older APC unit and will see how that works over the next week or so - still have another one in the back room unused (dates back 6 years ago when I was transitioning to Apple computers and still had an old Dell PC). Thanks again. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Thread Information