Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    As I said in Post #7, it only appears when the optical drive is connected and powered on. The options allow you to choose what happens when you insert optical media.
    Ahhhh... OK... thanks
    Yes, just tried it.

So let me ask my real question - the one I was going to ask before I looked into System Preferences on ElCap.

That CD/DVD option disappearing in High Sierra or Mojove - I assume only the preference options disappear but one can still play CD's or DVD's either using VLC or the DVD PLayer app.

DVD Drive Region
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    See my Post #10, on how to change the region code in macOS DVD player app.
    That will only work if you insert a DVD with a different region code than the region you're currently in. I tried it by playing a region 1 DVD movie. The DVD player (Mojave) never asked about region nor could I see anywhere to change it. I no longer have any foreign made DVDs to try. I gave those away long ago.

And to answer member "krs".... I believe VLC will play DVDs from any region although I have never tried.

DVD Drive Region
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacMini 8.1 & 4.1, OS 10.14 & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
    See my Post #10, on how to change the region code in macOS DVD player app.
    Thanks Bob, I did see that following a Google search - and it was specific to Mojave - but it didn't work, the OS gave me the Not Permitted message. On reading the advisory a second and third time, I noted reference to the Drive's region setting, when I thought it was somehow imprinted on the Disk. I have tried a Disk which is Universal (no region) and it works fine, but via VLC, not DVD Player.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
    .....the OS gave me the Not Permitted message. On reading the advisory a second and third time, I noted reference to the Drive's region setting, when I thought it was somehow imprinted on the Disk. I have tried a Disk which is Universal (no region) and it works fine, but via VLC, not DVD Player.
    Is it not possible that you used all of the region setting changes allowed?
    I'm slowly remembering the issues I had many, many years ago with Apple DVD Player - the very limited number of times one could change the region setting.
    I received DVD/s with the European region setting on a regular basis and of course also had DVDs with the North American setting - didn't take very long before region changes were no longer permitted in DVD Player and I then found VLC to play all DVDs.

DVD Drive Region
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacMini 8.1 & 4.1, OS 10.14 & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Is it not possible that you used all of the region setting changes allowed?
    No, although I did wonder about that. I think I tried twice, at most three times, noted the warning, and desisted. No changes occurred simply because the process didn't work.

didn't take very long before region changes were no longer permitted in DVD Player and I then found VLC to play all DVDs.
    VLC is the solution to the problem, and I'm surprised, quite frankly, that Apple persists with its proprietary constraints in respect of DVD Player region limitations.
    ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
    Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.

DVD Drive Region
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    I'm surprised, quite frankly, that Apple persists with its proprietary constraints in respect of DVD Player region limitations.
    Do you think M$ doesn't do the same thing?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

DVD Drive Region
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Region settings are the same in Windows and Linux, nothing different there. It's simply another anti-piracy thing to prevent the pirating of commercial DVDs. Although nowadays there are work arounds that are available to copy a commercial DVD for your own archival purposes. The region settings were implemented primarily to prevent US commercial DVDs being played outside of the US and Canada and duplicated. The duplicates were then sold on local markets.

Thread Information