Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Put a 1TB SSD into my 2017 21.5inch iMac with a FUSION drive fitted?

Your Mac's Specs
    21inch iMac 2017 high Sierra. MacBook Pro 13. iPhone 5c& an 8
    Hello every-one, I am thinking of swapping the 1TB/fusion spinner with a 1TB sold state drive! New ground for me but it looks do-able? I am concerned about the "Fusion Drive" bit and any extra connections to it, or am I looking for trouble here? I have viewed the process on youtube and feel confident that I could do it (hehehe) if I set my workspace out right but what to do with the Fusion bit baffles me, I think it is an extra drive altogether but in the same bay??? Right or wrong on that bit? If right what happens to the connectors I wonder, can the fusion drive be disconnected? If so what do I look for etc? Lots of questions here, sorry about that fact. Have a bootable thumb drive with High Sierra on it and also full back-up on SuperDuper, any good for completing the job? Any point in increasing the RAM whilst in there, as it has only 8GB (2 X 4GB) will take 2 X 8GB I believe?

I think that is enough for you all to chew on right now but feel there is more to come! If you think it is all bull muck just say so, I will understand!

Very best regards from Keith in Derby England.
    You failed to prepare, now prepare to fail.
    Growing old is Inevitable -- Growing up is Optional!

Keith, do you have AppleCare covering the iMac for 3 years from the day fo purchase? If so, that should cover the iMac from 2017 to 2020. With that mind, you SHOULD NOT be doing the upgrade of the Fusion drive since that will void the warranty. Once you are past the AppleCare period, you are more than welcome to do the upgrade.

The fusion drive is broken into two bits, a spinning drive in one place and a chunk of Flash memory in another place. There are no extra connectors or any other magic here. You would replace the spinning drive with an SSD drive and re-use the SATA connector. You would just leave the flash memory alone and the system will not use it once you partition the new drive as a single partition.

The RAM on the other hand is a good thing, but it wasn't user-accessible on the 21.5" iMac, so you should think if breaking open the case is going to void the warranty, if so, don't do it.

If you didn't purchase AppleCare to cover you for the 3 full years (bad you! ), then go ahead and upgrade as you wish.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Raz0rEdge (Ashwin), I must thank you for your very swift and very informative reply. I must admit I had not even considered my AppleCare; oh stupid boy! Thank you for pointing out that I could have voided the AppleCare and will not perform the upgrade at all for another couple of years at the earliest.

Yet another task put on the back burner (not a lot of room on there now) and as each year goes by I get less confident in my abilities - shortly 85 years old, oh well perhaps best to leave well alone!

Glad to be of help. I would say that for MOST use cases, the fusion drive should be functioning quite fine. People with specific use cases (those that require a lot of data to be shuttled back and forth) will likely hit the limited capabilities of the drive and perceive issues. For these people, the SSD upgrade will be a huge benefit.

Spinning drives have been around for a long time and have served us well for a long time, so they didn't just become utterly useless overnight with the introduction of the SSD.

Additionally, your 2017 iMac has a pretty good CPU and fast enough data bus to serve you well until you are ready for an upgrade.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Ashwin, In all probability the iMac is MORE than capable for my usage and I suppose I have read somewhere that the fusion drive models of the iMac have had a habit of going for a "ball of chalk" (packing in) and I thought I might put that occurrence to bed by doing a change to SSD. The iMac is not yet 18 months old so no problem there; OK there is always the old saying "If it aint broke don't fix it". That being so I am now quite happy and the iMac will more than likely see me off this ungodly earth.

I would agree that a drive with spinning media is potentially more prone to having it fail as opposed to one without anything spinning. However, I had a spinning drive in my 2009 iMac until about 2016 when I decided to upgrade, not because it failed but because it was getting slow compared to my MBP. The SSD upgrade breathed new life into that very old machine and the original 1TB drive still works, I use it as a backup of my original content.

SSDs aren't necessarily immune to all issues either, it is possible to have bad flash chips which will drastically reduce the usability of the drive. Flash chips also have a limited life cycle when it comes to erases/writes and once you get close to it, the drive will fail to hold the data properly. If your use case requires you to constantly write a LOT of small pieces of data, the SSD will fail on you a lot faster than those who write infrequently.

What I WOULD recommend to avoid finding yourself heading upstream without a paddle is to make sure that you have a solid backup strategy (Time Machine, CCC/SuperDuper, cloud backup) such that if your drive (spinning or not) does fail, you have a way of recovering your precious data. That is how you mitigate the scenario of your drive going for a "ball of chalk". Never heard that before, you brits with your goofy sayings.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Ashwin, Thank you very much and I agree about the goofy sayings. Then again I sometimes struggle with your Americanese and can NEVER understand your reference to "doing the math". One cannot calculate with a single number (ie 6) you need another number to do any sort of MATHMATICS. That being so 7 apples is not referred to as '7 apple but 7 apples'. More than one is hence plural. Maths is a shortened version of mathematics and should still be plural. SORRY I will demount my hobby horse and no offence intended. Each and everyone of is different and the same goes for Nations.

Thread Information