Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seagate 8TB External HD not mounting on boot up
    The drive is connected to a USB port on the back of my iMac; not into a USB Hub. When I boot up my iMac, the drive spins up and the light on the drive comes on but it won't mount and doesn't appear in finder. The drive does however show in Disk Utility. I can highlight the drive and click the "Mount" button. At that point, the drive now appears in finder and works as normal. This problem only started since I updated to Mojave 10.14.4. I plugged the drive into my MBP which was still running Mojave 10.14.3 and the drive was recognized immediately. I have an iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) with 32GB of Memory. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Maybe, connect and mount the drive, then with it still connected, restart your iMac? Another thing to try is to use Disk Utility to Repair Disk?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for replying. I have tried as you suggested and when I restarted nothing changes; I did this for all 4 USB ports. I also went into Disk Utility to Repair Disk. That came back with a GREEN check mark so I'm assuming all is good there.

Mike

Your Mac's Specs
    That is strange. My next suggestions would be to try the NVRAM and SMC resets.

NVRAM - Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support.
    SMC - How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support.

Edit: I forgot to say, yes it seems like all is good on the drive, as DU found no issues.
    Last edited by ferrarr; 03-31-2019 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Added info
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

I did a little basic house cleaning by moving some rather large files from the Desktop to Documents and deleting the ones I didn't need. I then emptied the trash and restarted my Mac. I don't know what that has to do with anything relating to the drive not mounting on startup but so far so good. I'll repost if anything changes.
    Thank you to everyone for helping me.

Mike

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OSX 14.4 Mojave,
    Too much on the desktop can cause problems. That is why we have Downloads, Documents, Applications and all those other folders.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    Too much on the desktop can cause problems. That is why we have Downloads, Documents, Applications and all those other folders.
    I have heard that before, but have you actually experienced that yourself?
    I just checked, my desktop has 122 folders on it, at times it probably had more than 150 folders on it before I cleaned up a bit, and I don't remember ever having problems because of it.

Well....the problem I do have is that it sometimes is not obvious that (or where) a new folder mounts when I plug in a USB or Firewire device because there are so many folder icons on the desktop, but that's it.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    I just checked, my desktop has 122 folders on it, at times it probably had more than 150 folders on it
    Good....good...goodness me. I'm being polite.

1. I've been there and lost my entire Desktop files/folders. OK, a long time ago. The Desktop, as the same might suggest, is where you keep work-in-progess data for easy access. Then store them appropriately in Documents.

2. macOS Mojave - I believe - has a means of putting your Desktop items into folders according to their nature; no doubt in recognition that people "store" data on the Desktop.

3. In Operating Systems prior to this (like yours), one way of dealing with all these files/folders is to create a Folder called "Desktop Items", then put all the Desktop data in that Folder.

4. Put the Desktop Folder in Documents. Then drag that Folder to the Dock to create an alias which scan be opened with one click.

I am making a suggestion; not in any way telling you how you should use your Mac.

I may be mistaking you for another OP, but I seem to recall that your backup strategy was to use Time Machine once a week. My suggestion would protect your data in a more secure manner.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    I just checked, my desktop has 122 folders on it,
    Are they actual folders, or are they folder aliases?

"I believe", any modern OS can generate the folder icons quicker than individual file icons.
    -- Bob --

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Are they actual folders, or are they folder aliases?
    I think these are actually folders - don't aliases show a small symbol in one corner of the folder icon?

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I think these are actually folders - don't aliases show a small symbol in one corner of the folder icon?
    Yes, they have a small arrow in the bottom left corner.
    -- Bob --

Here is a screen shot of my desktop - small enough so names of individual folders should not be legible.Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 4.33.50 PM_400.jpg

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 5K 27-inch Retina iMac, 4GHz i7, 32GB RAM, 1TB Flash Drive, macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
    Good heavens! Well, why not? It's your Mac

If the orange icons represent Hard Drives of some sort, you appear to have 8, maybe 9 including the Internal, mounted as well.

Ian
    Ian

Yes, the orange icons are external volumes - actually only two physical hard drives, an older 1.5TB Firewire one and a new 8TB USB 3.0 one, both split into various size volumes.
    I don't usually have them all mounted, and I really don't need to have them mounted - it's more of a convenience not having to mount them when I need a file that's stored there.
    It's also easier to find a file since each volume is named so I know where to look for a file and if I do a search, the Mac will bring up search resutls from all mounted externals as well.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone XS, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Getting back to the original problem, a busy desktop could interfere with mounting an external drive in certain circumstances. If the desktop has to be rebuilt because the cache was cleared, and if you have a lot of icons to be re-read and rebuilt, that can take some time to accomplish. If you want to see this effect, use OnyX to clear out cache on the Mac and then reboot and watch Finder rebuild the desktop. You can see the individual icons being read from the metadata for each one. So, if the Finder is busy sorting out icons, it may not respond in time to the drive's proposal to be mounted, the drive then sees no response and quits trying to mount. The Finder will eventually respond, but by then the drive is no longer communicating and nothing gets mounted. It's a long shot, but it COULD happen.
    Jake

Thread Information