Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hub Hunting

Hub Hunting
    Your Mac's Specs
    iPhone XR, iMac 27 Retina 3.4, 8gb, macOS 10.14.5, iPad 9.7 IOS 12.3.1
    I already have a Voyager S3 docking station which lets you boot & hot swap drives. So with that said plugging that docking station into the back of my mac which will never get unplugged and going with that Anker 10 port should handle all my needs as long as I can boot off the Voyager S3.
    Kenny

Hub Hunting
    and going with that Anker 10 port should handle all my needs as long as I can boot off the Voyager S3.

I'd say there would be something wrong if that Voyager S3 dock can't boot your Mac, and I have the older Voyager Quad model that has been so useful and reliable.

PS: I keep a short USB extension plugged into the back of my iMac which saves fighting and accessing behind it when I need to connect a USB device.

PPS: BTW, I don't recall having problems booting from any USB drive connected to my small powered Belkin USB hub but I can't recall when I might have done so, but my Startup Drive pref pane seems to think it can and use either of the two partitions of the USB drive I just connected to it to see:

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 9.39.40 AM.png

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 01-31-2019 at 01:52 PM.

Hub Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    PPS: BTW, I don't recall having problems booting from any USB drive connected to my small powered Belkin USB hub but I can't recall when I might have done so, but my Startup Drive pref pane seems to think it can and use either of the two partitions of the USB drive I just connected to it to see:
    A gentleman on the Macintosh Certified Consultants discussion list noticed that he couldn't boot from a hard drive connected to a USB 3.0 hub he had. So he purchased every single USB 3.0 hub that he could find and tested them all. He did a great job, and he even provided a spreadsheet showing his results. But the latter wasn't really necessary because only two of the hubs he tested allowed booting from a connected drive. They were:

The Inateck Aluminum Unibody 7-ports USB 3.0 Hub
    http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Unibod...dp/B00LHS5VGC/

Plugable USB-C 3-Port USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Aluminum Hub with Pass-Through Charging for MacBook Retina 2015/2016
    https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Supe...dp/B01D401PYW/

The Plugable hub has been discontinued. The Inatech hub is still available, but not directly from Amazon, and the few places still offering it are overcharging for it.

Note that the original test tested hubs from the same manufacturers as the two hubs that allowed booting, and it turned out that other models from the same manufacturers couldn't be used for booting a hard drive.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Hub Hunting
    Your Mac's Specs
    Well I just ordered the Anker 10 Port hub from Amazon. This should handle all my needs for some time. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
    Kenny

Hub Hunting
    @Randy
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    A gentleman on the Macintosh Certified Consultants discussion list noticed that he couldn't boot from a hard drive connected to a USB 3.0 hub he had. So he purchased every single USB 3.0 hub that he could find and tested them all. He did a great job, and he even provided a spreadsheet showing his results. But the latter wasn't really necessary because only two of the hubs he tested allowed booting from a connected drive. ... ... ...

I just recently took the time to check an old WD USB hard drive that I was sure I had used to boot from previously, so I connected it to my old small seff-powered Belkin USB hub and proceeded to boot my mid-2011 27" iMac using Mavericks and it worked just the same as I recall.

A bit slow but it allows booting and worked quite well, and I know it isn't a USB 3.0 hub, but I understood they were all supposed to be compatible.

Maybe the gentleman may want to update his data and spreadsheet. Just a thought.

I just didn't want some readers thinking they couldn't use their USB 2.0 hubs with a USB drive to boot from. And neither devices are exactlty what one could call unusual.

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.47.17 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.49.54 AM.png

- Patrick
    ======

Hub Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    @Randy

I just recently took the time to check an old WD USB hard drive that I was sure I had used to boot from previously, so I connected it to my old small seff-powered Belkin USB hub and proceeded to boot my mid-2011 27" iMac using Mavericks and it worked just the same as I recall.

A bit slow but it allows booting and worked quite well, and I know it isn't a USB 3.0 hub, but I understood they were all supposed to be compatible.

Maybe the gentleman may want to update his data and spreadsheet. Just a thought.

I just didn't want some readers thinking they couldn't use their USB 2.0 hubs with a USB drive to boot from.
    I think that I made it quite clear that the gentleman in question tested USB 3.0 hubs. I don't think that he needs to "update his data" based on your irrelevant test of a USB 2.0 hub.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Hub Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy B. Singer View Post
    I think that I made it quite clear that the gentleman in question tested USB 3.0 hubs. I don't think that he needs to "update his data" based on your irrelevant test of a USB 2.0 hub.

I don't see it as being completely irrelevant as you suggest as some users probably don't even know there's any difference between
    a USB 2.0 hub and a USB 3.0 hub.

It's interesting to me that it seems that the USB 3.0 hubs can provide some advantages while abandoning others like Mac OS X bootability.

PS: I just thought some users might be interested and would like to know rather than assuming that all USB hubs are the same when using some features. Just as I mentioned previously.

- Patrick
    ======

Hub Hunting
    Your Mac's Specs
    Just received my Anker 10 port hub and works as advertised. Doesn't take up hardly any space. Charges iPhone with no problem. If I had any complaints it would be the length of ac/adapter power cords could have been long for MY desk setup but by no means a deal breaker.
    Kenny

Thread Information