Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Question Wi-Fi: Looking for Networks
    I've noticed on both my MacBook Pro and on my way newer mini iPad that when I'm in the back of my house, I get this message, and my ability to get on the network is delayed and sometimes never works. But when I'm sitting right in front of the router and the cable box, although the black rainbow still says "looking for Networks," at least I can get on. I've thought it was the router (TRENDNET) and I've thought it is the MacBook (a couple of years old). I've seen this question posted here, but have not seen a conclusive answer. HELP?

chas_m
    Try going into the settings and "forgetting" the network (for iOS devices) or moving the network you want to the top of the list (in OS X). Then "rejoin" the network when you are close to it.

That should help, but clearly you need a repeater/amplifier to get the signal to be strong enough to reach the back of the house.

And yes, the TrendNet router *could* be the cause of the issue. If you have access to one, try an Apple router and see if that makes a difference.

Wi-Fi: Looking for Networks

Your Mac's Specs
    late 2012 mini w/SSD
    Maybe a neighbor has a router nearby, and when your signal gets weaker (distance), it causes break lock and searching. A fix for that might be choosing a different channel on the router setup pages.

Wi-Fi: Looking for Networks
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.14.2
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRainbow View Post
    I've noticed on both my MacBook Pro and on my way newer mini iPad that when I'm in the back of my house, I get this message, and my ability to get on the network is delayed and sometimes never works. But when I'm sitting right in front of the router and the cable box, although the black rainbow still says "looking for Networks," at least I can get on. I've thought it was the router (TRENDNET) and I've thought it is the MacBook (a couple of years old)....HELP?
    Hello DiRainbow - welcome to the forum! You've already received some excellent advice but need to provide us w/ more information: 1) What MBPro model (year) do you own; 2) What Mac OS is installed; 3) What iPad Mini model do you own & which iOS is installed; 4) Is your router supplied by your ISP (Internet Service Provider); and 5) What are the distances between your router & the back of your house (e.g. number of rooms, feet, walls in-between)? Answers to these questions will help.

Also, is your MBPro cabled to your router or using Wi-Fi? First, re-power your modem and router (not sure if they are one or two separate units), i.e. turn off the power (or pull the plug) and wait a while, then re-power. Second, you need to test the signal strengths or download speeds being obtained in the room w/ the router vs. in the back of the house - use your local ISP or a website, such as Speed Test - post back your findings. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Thread Information