Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Where is my Dock?

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Pro, 15", 32GB RAM, Mojave
    Where is my Dock?
    I recently purchased a new external monitor (a Dell U2414H 24" 1920x1080) to use with my MacBook Pro 15" Retina. The Retina screen has proved to be too bright and glossy and has been giving me bloodshot eyes so I bought this monitor to use in its place. I use this monitor as the sole monitor and currently have it set up to display without mirroring.

One of the problems I have with this monitor is that if I specify that the Dock is to be on the left of the screen it will not appear when I move the cursor to that location. It will show up on the bottom and on the right, but not on the left and I am puzzled as to why that is.

My first thought was that the monitor is 1920x1080 and not 1920x1200, but I found that the current Apple monitors sold for use with all Apple computers is also 1920x1080 and a discussion with AppleCare told me that the onboard display card should understand how to display on 1920x1080.

If I set the monitor to work with mirroring I do not have this problem (that is, the Dock shows up because it shows up on the Retina screen and is mirrored) but will not show up when mirroring is turned off. I first chose to leave mirroring on and turn the brightness of the Retina display all the way down so it can not be seen but, if I do that, the external monitor sometimes fails to wake up with my MBP after sleeping. That problem does not occur when mirroring is turned off and thus it seems that I have 2 choices - have to manually wake up the monitor (when mirroring is on) or relocate my Dock (when mirroring is off).

Can anyone tell me why my Dock disappears when mirroring is turned off and how to get it visible again. I am used to using the Dock on the left and would rather not have to go through the process of retraining myself.

Thanks.

Where is my Dock?
    Your Mac's Specs
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18
    Open up the Displays pref in System Preferences and rearrange the screens so that the laptop is on the right.
    Now you can see the dock on the left.
    Any priest or shaman must be presumed guilty until proved innocent.

Where is my Dock?

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Pro, 15", 32GB RAM, Mojave
    Quote Originally Posted by cradom View Post
    Open up the Displays pref in System Preferences and rearrange the screens so that the laptop is on the right.
    Now you can see the dock on the left.
    Thank you so much!

I have had this MBP for 2 years and did not even know that the scenes in that dialog box could be moved. I just thought that they display was basically saying that you could use the screens as paired displays to show twice as much and that the whole thing was passive, not active.

I have moved the screen and the dock is now visible on the left side, but not on the right (where I don't want it anyway). Thank you again.

Where is my Dock?
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Nice job Cradom. That didn't even occur to me as the reason for the problem. It should have. I've been running dual monitors for years.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information