Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loud fans with Mac Pro after new processors

Hey everyone, I am dying to find a way with this issue.
    I currently picked up my mac pro from the workshop where a new motherboard and processors were put it, i boosted it from a quad core 2.8 to a eight core 3.2ghz. I was happy about the change but when I fired it the fans went nuts and never quiet down - EVER and so loud i cannot even hear myself think.
    I'v tried all the softwares for fan control, SMC reset and all but I keep telling myself that perhaps new fans would do the trick.
    I don't have much around me when it comes to parts, I live on a small island in the pacific and they all tell me that new fans would not change anything.

Even though they are going at 2800-3000rpm when nothing goes on and I know fans that are quieter than that but works and fits for PC only.

The question is, are there any other types of fans (front fans that is) we could put in a mac pro?
    Or is there another trick i missed?
    Is the guy who represents APPLE REPAIR in my country is wrong when he says that i should not have done the processor upgrade and now I am stuck with this issue?….

I'll be happy with any guidance - Thanks in advance for the help

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Whoever did the work for you (installed the new CPU and logic board) obviously did not calibrate the temperature sensors which control the fans. Take it back to them and tell them to properly calibrate the sensors so your fans operate the way they're supposed to.

Thanks for the quick reply.

SO despite the boost my mac has just received, the fans shouldn't behave like and still be normal right?

Because they do sound like when i'm exporting use composition from After Effects...

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by martin86 View Post
    Thanks for the quick reply.

SO despite the boost my mac has just received, the fans shouldn't behave like and still be normal right?

Because they do sound like when i'm exporting use composition from After Effects...
    A Mac Pro's fans shouldn't do that...especially if all the computer is doing is just sitting there, or checking e-mail, or writing a post on Mac-Forums.

Seems like the obviouse answer would be to take it back to the person who did the upgrade for you.

I would also suggest one more thing:

- Go to "Activity Monitor"
    - click on the "CPU" tab
    - select "All Process's" from the drop down menu at the top right of the Activity Monitor window.

What are your % User, % System, and % Idle numbers (bottom left corner)?

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/826/0r7o.png/

If this image can be seen here is a look at my activity monitor. I haven't tried any of the big softwares yet. Im just translating documents.

Plus the fans go nuts as soon as i turn it on, they roar really loud before the apple logo shows.

Here's another screenshot of fan speed

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/8xx1.png/

Hope the screenshots can be seen

User% varies from 4 to 9
    System stays around the 4%
    and Idle isn't below 90%

There is nothing happening and the really annoying part is having people here, telling me that's what it supposed to do, after spending 2000bucks, i'm supposed to have a steam machine in my office….

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    Who is telling you that is normal? It's not trust me. Something was done wrong and I believe it's calibration like was stated above!

Ok i just wanted to get different opinions because i knew these guys over here were off their heads (or meds).

Thanks for the quick reply guys

Your Mac's Specs
    User% varies from 4 to 9
    System stays around the 4%
    and Idle isn't below 90%
    Those numbers look fine. Was just exploring a possibility.

BTW...those fan speeds are not normal or fine. If you just spent $2000...go back to the person who did the upgrading...and ask them to fix it. If they cannot...then put a stop payment on that $2000 payment (hopefully you used a credit card).

And tell them to take out the new stuff...and put the old stuff back in.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac late 2012 21.5 i5 10:14. iMac 2010 27"QuadI7 OS10.13, MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhone7
    I have been around the G5 Towers and Mac Pros and unless you are doing very intensive work they are shockingly quiet! So those people are just trying to get out of doing it right.

Your Mac's Specs
    Just so you can say you did it...do a PRAM/NVRAM reset, and an SMC reset:

- About NVRAM and PRAM
    - Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

HTH,

- Nick

I did SMC that i am sure but the PRAM reset never seems to work, when hold the four keys (and it's a wired keyboard, not wireless) i never get the second startup sound. However it does guide to a window where i can reinstall OSX.

As for the old stuff to be put back in, that will be hard because they all fried, logic board and processors. I was meaning to upgrade so i can get more speed with HD editing and After effects work.

And as for payment, this is where we're lucky to be in a small island, i can pay little but by little bit. So he hasn't got it all yet

I'd like to try a different fan or he could just try to re calibrate the heat sensors. If you know tutorials on that, i'd be happy to do it myself to save time and trouble...

Your Mac's Specs
    And as for payment, this is where we're lucky to be in a small island, i can pay little but by little bit. So he hasn't got it all yet
    If you want to...add your location to your profile. Sometimes when we know where you are located...we can try to "not suggest" solutions that may not apply to your geographic location.

As far as your Mac Pro being fried and doing the $2000 replacement/upgrade. Normally I would recommend against this. With Macintosh computers (and the cost of replacement parts)...many times it does not make financial sense to do what you did. It can usually be better just to sell the old computer for parts...and purchase a "new to you" used computer.

But this may not be easy for you to do at your location...and the cost of doing things may be different than in other geographical locations.

- Nick

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I'd like to try a different fan or he could just try to re calibrate the heat sensors. If you know tutorials on that, i'd be happy to do it myself to save time and trouble...
    I almost hate to tell you this... but only authorized Apple service repair centers can calibrate those temperature sensors. You need a service manual and the proper software to do the procedure. Do some Googling on the subject. I remember reading several posts on this in the Apple Community Support Forums several years back.

Well the thing is over here, everything is really expensive. It's a french island right of the east coast of Australia and all imports are taxed pretty high. I don't think there is any decent mac pro under 6000 bucks.
    So he only charged me for the parts and $0 on setup, because he's a friend and he will require my skills too.
    In other words i understand it may seem like an expansive upgrade but over here it's not, especially if i can pay bits by bits. Everything works fine but the fans that are running high for no reason.
    And I'm place my bets on this heat sensor calibration. But I have to work to finish in the next 24hrs so i canon take it back just yet...

Thread Information