Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Loud fans with Mac Pro after new processors

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I almost hate to tell you this... but only authorized Apple service repair centers can calibrate those temperature sensors. You need a service manual and the proper software to do the procedure. Do some Googling on the subject. I remember reading several posts on this in the Apple Community Support Forums several years back.
    That is a bummer, I was ready to get my hands dirty.

Your Mac's Specs
    2011 17" MBP 2.2ghz, 16gig ram, OS 10.11.6
    Quote Originally Posted by martin86 View Post
    Well the thing is over here, everything is really expensive. It's a french island right of the east coast of Australia and all imports are taxed pretty high. I don't think there is any decent mac pro under 6000 bucks.

In other words i understand it may seem like an expansive upgrade but over here it's not, especially if i can pay bits by bits. Everything works fine but the fans that are running high for no reason.
    This is why I suggested adding your location to your profile. Sometimes if someone is from a more isolated geographical location (at least isolated in terms of getting Macintosh/Apple help)...we can try to be as creative as possible with suggestions.

Not to be disrespectful to the folks of New Caledonia. But I'm guessing that there may not be that many "Macintosh/Apple" experts on the island. We as Macintosh users are in a big minority when it comes to computers...and on an island such as New Caledonia...Macintosh experts may be few and far between.

Given that the person that did your Mac Pro upgrade is telling you things that aren't true (that this fan thing is not a big deal & is normal)...I'm guessing he may not be an Macintosh expert...at least not in a world-wide sense (he may be a "New Caledonia Macintosh expert")!

Heck...who knows...how many of these Mac Pro cpu upgrades has he done? Can't be too many...since he didn't get this one right. Maybe he was learning for the first time on your computer!

Doing a cpu upgrade on a Mac Pro is NOT a common procedure...even in other countries like the US, UK, Canada, Australia, etc. So even "experts" in these countries may not have done many (or any) of these upgrades on a Mac Pro.

I'm not sure what else to suggest...other than make sure that this person who did your upgrade is not fully paid before things are sorted out.

Good luck,

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Quote Originally Posted by pigoo3 View Post
    This is why I suggested adding your location to your profile. Sometimes if someone is from a more isolated geographical location (at least isolated in terms of getting Macintosh/Apple help)...we can try to be as creative as possible with suggestions.

Not to be disrespectful to the folks of New Caledonia. But I'm guessing that there may not be that many "Macintosh/Apple" experts on the island. We as Macintosh users are in a big minority when it comes to computers...and on an island such as New Caledonia...Macintosh experts may be few and far between.

Given that the person that did your Mac Pro upgrade is telling you things that aren't true (that this fan thing is not a big deal & is normal)...I'm guessing he may not be an Macintosh expert...at least not in a world-wide sense (he may be a "New Caledonia Macintosh expert")!

Heck...who knows...how many of these Mac Pro cpu upgrades has he done? Can't be too many...since he didn't get this one right. Maybe he was learning for the first time on your computer!

Doing a cpu upgrade on a Mac Pro is NOT a common procedure...even in other countries like the US, UK, Canada, Australia, etc. So even "experts" in these countries may not have done many (or any) of these upgrades on a Mac Pro.

I'm not sure what else to suggest...other than make sure that this person who did your upgrade is not fully paid before things are sorted out.

Good luck,

- Nick

Trust me you're not being disrespectful at all, there are lots of useless people out here. But thankfully the person who did the upgrade is no the person who thinks the fan issue is normal. He's is looking at this whole calibration thing right now and I trust he'll be ok. He does a lot of good work on lots of gear.
    It was when i called the only apple repair store that they told the issue was ok and right there i lost my faith in them, plus they charge their price like crazy.

I'll let you know if the calibration pans out. Thanks for your help

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by martin86 View Post
    But thankfully the person who did the upgrade is no the person who thinks the fan issue is normal.

I'll let you know if the calibration pans out. Thanks for your help
    Sounds great...good deal. Glad to hear you have someone looking at it that you trust!

Looking forward to how things work out.

- Nick
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB Blade, OSX 14.4 Mojave,
    For what it is worth when I installed X5355 CPU's in Mac Pro got the jumbo jet fans roaring. Solution was simple. Under the heat sink is a small heat sensor plug which had come detached. Replaced and back to normal quiet Mac Pro.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
    For what it is worth when I installed X5355 CPU's in Mac Pro got the jumbo jet fans roaring. Solution was simple. Under the heat sink is a small heat sensor plug which had come detached. Replaced and back to normal quiet Mac Pro.
    Nice little detail Harry. Thanks for mentioning it.

- Nick

I had the same issue today
    The last note on this thread nailed it. I upgraded my old 4 core processors to the 6 core x5690's in my mac pro mid 2010. I didn't screw the heatsinks completely into the motherboard so the sensors were not fully attached. I just pulled out the tray and screwed them in until they couldn't go any further. Threw the tray back in and my 8 core is now a silent silky smooth 12 core.

Bought a pair of pulled x5690 for $200
    Artic silver paste, the cleaner and rag

in total $250

Don't get the turnkey BS on OWC.

Thread Information