Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

KVM Advice needed with PC and Mac

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
    I currently have a Compaq laptop with an external PS/2 keyboard and USB wireless mouse plugged into a VGA Acer monitor. But I am about to buy a Macbook with a glossy screen I donít like so I would like to use a KVM switch if possible to have both computers switchable on the Acer monitor. I will probably keep the existing mouse but switch to a Mac USB keyboard if that will also work with the PC. I know nothing about KVM switches or setting up such a system and would appreciate any advice I can get about buying the right switch etc and suggestions about the best product.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
    I use this one:

Amazon.com: IOGEAR 4 Port DVI KVMP Switch with Audio and Cables (GCS1764): Electronics

It's decent and does the job. You can probably search around and find comparisons, reviews etc about other products. I have a Mac mini, Mac Pro and Windows machine all connected to the KVM and it functions just fine.

One thing about a KVM, most advertise 'hot key's', certain key combinations that allow you to switch the video source on the fly without having to click the button on the KVM device. I have never gotten this functionality to work correctly. Not a deal breaker for me, but for some it might be.

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    Check the Mac-Forums Blog, I reviewed an excellent IOGEAR unit not too long ago there.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Your Mac's Specs
    Mac Mini 2.26Ghz 8GB RAM
    Thanks for the feedback. Wmprice1240's suggestion is a bit out of my price bracket I'm afraid but thanks for the suggestion. I liked the look of cwa107's review but - just to show how little I know - there are four wires going to each computer, VGA, USB and I don't know what the other two are. Is it a split wire with a choice of connection for each computer? Apparently a Mac keyboard requires a fair bit of power. If the switch is not powered can it cope with a mac keyboard okay?

Your Mac's Specs
    2018 MacBook Air / Core i5 @ 1.6GHz, 16GB, 512GB SSD
    On the unit I reviewed, there's one cable to each computer. At the end of the cable are 3 connectors, one for audio, one for VGA and one for USB (keyboard and mouse).

I have not seen any issues with any keyboard I've used it with, including those that have USB hubs.
    Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!

https://youtu.be/KHZ8ek-6ccc

Thread Information