Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Your Mac's Specs
    I believe Mac's are meant to be admired, not owned
    A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    The updated design for the community has been pushed live! Thank you to the beta testers and everyone who provided feedback.

If you have any questions or comments, please share them here. Some elements are still on the agenda to tweak and refine, so we'll be making smaller ongoing improvements in the weeks to come.
    Matt Bidinger
    Community Manager

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Your Mac's Specs
    iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
    I was confused for a couple of second as I just swiped back from another page and ... voila .... a whole new world.

Looks great.

Cheers ... McBie
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Looks great thus far! One big annoyance though... On the home page, there is a link to blog reviews. Each time the subject page changes (there are 4 pages) it also shifts the entire web page away from where it was focused and you have to re-scroll to where you were.

Also, is there a reason as to why iPhone/iPad/iPod is part of the "featured discussions"? Is it the most visited section on the forums? Just seems a bit out of place IMO. Or perhaps a bit redundant, I dunno.

Doug

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Looks great..though what happened to the Get New link??
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    I like it better than my first impression from the beta. But I still think the red font is a mistake. It should only be used for something that really needs to grab your attention. On real paper… red is more often used to indicate something of importance, or as a "correction" (think back to school… a red pen is used by teachers to show corrections).

It's also a bit too "white" all around. Perhaps a soft gradient could be used as a background for the sections to "float" on top of. White floating on white just doesn't work. And the spacing…. everything takes up twice as much space. Just browsing through a forum category takes twice as long now.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Your Mac's Specs
    15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by lifeisabeach View Post
    I like it better than my first impression from the beta. But I still think the red font is a mistake. It should only be used for something that really needs to grab your attention. On real paper… red is more often used to indicate something of importance, or as a "correction" (think back to school… a red pen is used by teachers to show corrections).

It's also a bit too "white" all around. Perhaps a soft gradient could be used as a background for the sections to "float" on top of. White floating on white just doesn't work. And the spacing…. everything takes up twice as much space. Just browsing through a forum category takes twice as long now.
    +1 for everything said.

Doug

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    I think it has been replaced in quick links by "today's posts". Though I much prefer a static permalink such as "new posts"

Doug

Edit: Also, if you hover over "Forum", you get a drop down list, and there we also have "new posts". I would still prefer to be able to do it in one click though.

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    I like the idea of a softer gradient of some sort. That being said, it still looks great!

* Late 2012 MacMini - 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 - 16BG Memory - Intel HD Graphics 4000 - Samsing 860 EVO 250GB SSD - Catalina 10.15.5
    * 2015 13.3" Retina MacBook Pro - 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - Intel Iris Graphics 6100 - Original 128GB SSD - Catalina 10.15.5

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
    Looks great thus far! One big annoyance though... On the home page, there is a link to blog reviews. Each time the subject page changes (there are 4 pages) it also shifts the entire web page away from where it was focused and you have to re-scroll to where you were.

Also, is there a reason as to why iPhone/iPad/iPod is part of the "featured discussions"? Is it the most visited section on the forums? Just seems a bit out of place IMO. Or perhaps a bit redundant, I dunno.

Doug
    The featured articles need to have consistent excerpts and featured images included, we'll be working on consistency there to ensure the re-sizing issue does not persist. For now it is a problem though.

The Featured discussion section includes the major forum categories from the forum homepage - general discussion, digital lifestyle, and ihpone/ipad/ipods. The categories can be tweaked in the future if there is consensus regarding the 3 best major sections of the forum to feature there.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    It is in the drop down when hovering over forums, there is also today's posts which gives a similar search when you hover over quick links.

I've requested a subnav be added below the main nav, for elements such as user control panel, new posts, etc. The stuff forum regulars use multiple times every day they visit - hovering is ok, but I like being able to directly click better as well.
    Matt Bidinger
    Community Manager

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    I think it has been replaced in quick links by "today's posts". Though I much prefer a static permalink such as "new posts"

Doug

Edit: Also, if you hover over "Forum", you get a drop down list, and there we also have "new posts". I would still prefer to be able to do it in one click though.
    Bingo, thanks Doug..that's how I use the forums..glad the link didn't go away, a permalink would be great..but the hover option also works just as long as I know where it is..
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Your Mac's Specs
    Matt, what exactly is the difference between "today's posts" and "new posts", if anything?

Doug

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Your Mac's Specs
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    One bit of quick feedback. The "Please welcome our newest member" in the Site Statistics sidebar is non-op on forums. Works fine on the main page.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Your Mac's Specs

There has been a couple comments on the red, but nothing close enough to a consensus yet - there needs to be something of a color, and red was part of the old theme as well. As you would likely agree, design stuff can be difficult to appease everyone's tastes. If some sort of consensus emerges, we are always open to change however. These things are also discussed with site moderation and administration, to prioritize what needs attention, what is agreed upon, and get that consensus necessary to ensure we make good changes.

I've seen comments about the white/spacing go both ways - some have commented it looks cleaner and sharper, others think too much white on white. If we let this simmer, we may also get a better sense of consensus.

Matt, what exactly is the difference between "today's posts" and "new posts", if anything?

Doug
    New posts will show you threads you have not viewed since the last time they were replied to - as you view threads and go back to new posts, the threads you just viewed or just replied to will no longer appear in new posts until they receive a new reply.

Today's posts will show every post, whether you have viewed it or not, in the order that it was posted to.

Every vbulletin forum like ours has both these searches by default, very few people recognize or are aware of the difference.
    Matt Bidinger
    Community Manager

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Your Mac's Specs
    2008 15" MBP Yosemite, 2012 21.5" iMac Yosemite

+1 for everything said.

Doug
    Make that +2 for everything said. Right now, it looks like a beta version of something to come. That's my 2˘...

I am glad to see a change and I appreciate the efforts of all involved.
    64GB iPhone 6, 64GB iPad Air 2.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.

A Shiny New Mac-Forums!
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by I.M.O.G. View Post
    There has been a couple comments on the red, but nothing close enough to a consensus yet - there needs to be something of a color, and red was part of the old theme as well. As you would likely agree, design stuff can be difficult to appease everyone's tastes. If some sort of consensus emerges, we are always open to change however. These things are also discussed with site moderation and administration, to prioritize what needs attention, what is agreed upon, and get that consensus necessary to ensure we make good changes.

I've seen comments about the white/spacing go both ways - some have commented it looks cleaner and sharper, others think too much white on white. If we let this simmer, we may also get a better sense of consensus.
    Could we perhaps get an official poll going then, perhaps? Maybe a long term one? Like say, over the course of a month or more, in order that even new members get a word in about it?

New posts will show you threads you have not viewed since the last time they were replied to - as you view threads and go back to new posts, the threads you just viewed or just replied to will no longer appear in new posts until they receive a new reply.

Today's posts will show every post, whether you have viewed it or not, in the order that it was posted to.

Every vbulletin forum like ours has both these searches by default, very few people recognize or are aware of the difference.
    Thank you for clarifying for us few then!

Doug

Thread Information