Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    New User Reputation System
    Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    hmm..ok, let me look into that.

Ok yes, my mistake. That only shows up for mods/admins. However as I noted before, if you feel someone is abusing the system, contact one of the mods and we'll look into it for you.

Macman, looking at your reputation scores, there are no negative points towards your score right now. Even if someone did post a negative on a post of yours, they must not have been here long enough to have it count.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

Your Mac's Specs
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.7.5 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.11.6 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Mine says Thread, Date, Posted By and Comment.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    Mine says Thread, Date, Posted By and Comment.
    That's because you're a moderator rman

zakatov
    I think it's bad that noobs' rating don't count, cuz if you help a noob, they can't rate you positive just because they haven't been a member long enough.

my $.02

Your Mac's Specs
    Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
    Quote Originally Posted by zakatov
    I think it's bad that noobs' rating don't count, cuz if you help a noob, they can't rate you positive just because they haven't been a member long enough.

my $.02
    I kind of agree with that. Help should count for at least something. It's only up to the newbie to stay and post until the rating becomes worth something. But if the newbie doesn't continue to stay and post of the forums, the rating will always count as nothing.

mac_man_luke
    Very Cool Idea!

Your Mac's Specs
    Once that person has posted the minimum amount, then their vote will start counting.

The main reason this is in place is to prevent someone from having a bunch of friends come and register just for the purpose of boosting their vote count. But it also ensures that people are around enough to make a good judge of people's helpfulness.

Don't worry, it's not a high number of posts needed, but it is more than 1

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by schweb
    Once that person has posted the minimum amount, then their vote will start counting.

The main reason this is in place is to prevent someone from having a bunch of friends come and register just for the purpose of boosting their vote count. But it also ensures that people are around enough to make a good judge of people's helpfulness.

Don't worry, it's not a high number of posts needed, but it is more than 1
    Okay, I'm convinced now.

Your Mac's Specs
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    After very careful consideration and work I Have come to the conclusions that this system sucks, too miss used in personal attacks to have any hope of being a worthwhile indicator of anything

Hmm this is going down the drain. I must admit, i dislike this user rep thing. I really liked the post count and it worked when we had it before. I think its very odd how it works on giving people reputation. I cant even give any anmore because it says "You need to spread some reputation." WTF? There is like... no "formula" to this whole thing. Where as post count, you post once, you get one more point on your # of posts. That makes sense. Why did we have to change it. I liked it at first... but now I don't think i do... Any chance we can get the post count back?

Your Mac's Specs
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    I think the user rep system is ok, though not enough people use it, and its so weird, everyday, I'll loose a few points, then I'll gain back almost double or more by that evening, like someone's screwing with it. and not all that use it write a comment, though the comments I've gotten have been good, except 1.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman
    and not all that use it write a comment, though the comments I've gotten have been good, except 1.
    Have a mod look at your ratings again. Maybe they can judge and see if someone is trying to sabotage you.

Edit: I hang around the "Who's Online" section of the website. And I do see some members rating from there.

Kokopelli
    I prefer the reputation system to post count. It would be nice if we did not have to spread the votes as much, but I suppose that is to prevent ballot stuffing. Unfotunately it also makes it more difficult to use. There are typically 5 or 6 posters who consistently make posts worth rating. Other posters will occasionally make a helpful remark but it boils down to a 90/10 problem. (90% of the work is done by 10% of the populace)

On the other hand this forum does not seem to suffer from post count spammers either. I am on a couple forums and on one it is a well known "tradition" for people to respond to everything to build up their post count. Unfortunately it lowers the overall quality of the posts on the forum in general.

What does post count tell you about a poster? It says nothing about the quality of their posts or whether anyone found the posts helpful. It just says how many times they have posted. Personally I would prefer having neither reputation or post count to just having post count. There would be little harm in displaying both though I suppose.

Your Mac's Specs
    PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
    I don't think thats the case, schweb watches closely and would most likely notice any suspicious activity. I think there's just a couple of people that think my posts aren't good or something is wrong with my posts some reason. it would help if those people left comments so I'd at least know why.

Your Mac's Specs
    Someone mentioned it before that comments should be manditory, especially, if you want to know why ya got a bad rating.

Thread Information