Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Keyboard / MIDI Controller Recommendations
    Your Mac's Specs
    15" PBook G4 1.67/1.5GB
    Question Keyboard / MIDI Controller Recommendations
    I'm interested in learning the piano along with doing some novice music composition with Garage Band and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the MIDI controllers that were available for Macs?

I've seen mixed reviews on M-Audio keyboards, but am also wondering if normal Yamaha/Casio keyboards are compatible with our PCs. I'm not looking to spend much more than $150 for (hopefully) a 61-key setup.

Also, has anyone had any experience with eMedia's Piano Method software, or have any recs on software for music/instrument education? I'd mostly be teaching myself...

Thank ya'! :headphone

Your Mac's Specs
    20 " Intel iMac, 60 GB 5th Gen iPod 12300+ Songs
    I have the microKORG which is fun live but also doubles as a MidiKeyboard it's pretty nice it's not the best synth in the world but a KORG for $400 isn't bad at all, a little out of the price range you were aiming for but if you could afford it I recomend it
    -CraigNB

Your Mac's Specs
    B&W G3, 400 MHz, 10.3; 2 GHz Gateway with WinXP and Debian Linux dual-boot
    Quote Originally Posted by slyseeker
    I'm interested in learning the piano along with doing some novice music composition with Garage Band and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the MIDI controllers that were available for Macs?

I've seen mixed reviews on M-Audio keyboards, but am also wondering if normal Yamaha/Casio keyboards are compatible with our PCs. I'm not looking to spend much more than $150 for (hopefully) a 61-key setup.

Also, has anyone had any experience with eMedia's Piano Method software, or have any recs on software for music/instrument education? I'd mostly be teaching myself...

Thank ya'! :headphone
    Ditto on the mixed reviews of M-Audio keyboards. Some people love them, but I'd say the bottom line in this situation is that, if your first keyboard is one, you will not be learning to play piano. The touch and action and sensitivity of a piano, and of most synths, is totally different than M-Audio's stuff. For a while I was just using an ebay Yamaha job, with a MIDI-USB adaptor, which are on the order of $20-30. I later got a larger and more realistic MIDI controller keyboard, also off ebay, and I still use it.
    To get started, all you have to look for is whether it has MIDI out. If it does, you can get a MIDI/USB connector and be set.

I'm entering my senior year as a composition undergrad, but I actually don't have any recommendations for piano software. I found the best exercise to be a simple hymnal, just teaching myself to read four parts at once and catch little ornaments and stuff. Bach's two-part inventions are great when you want a little more challenge along with a bit of a comp lesson.
    I haven't used software much for keyboard, but have used it extensively for ear training. Alas, the program I use, Earmaster, is only available for Windows.

I knwo this is an old thread, but would you guys reccomend between these two?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_u...n49e-main.html

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?A_PROD_NO=KSERIES
    -I'd be getting the 49 key one.

Well I've got the m-audio one and haven't had any problems. Keys are touch-sensitive but not weighted. My only bit of advice is go with as many keys as you can afford. I'm always wishing I had more of the keyboard to play on.

How many keys does yours have?

I've got 49.

Yeah, I figured that would be the minimum and I'm just a beginner, kinda.

Thread Information