Music library corrupted - can't recover it
    Hello,

I've been using the new Music app for some months without trouble. Some days ago when I opened the app I got a message informing that my music library was corrupted and I lost all of it including the playlists. I don't use ICloud or Time Machine, so recovering that way is not possible. I still have the music library file weighing 6,3 MB, so I guess the information is still there, but it's impossible to load it back into the Music app.

I'm basically interested in recovering the rating info (stars) for the approx 7.000 songs that were in my original library.

iMac 27 (2013)
    macOS Catalina 10.15.3 (19D76)
    Music app 1.0.3.1

Thanks for your tips,

Sneiq

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Without any form of backup, it's not going to be easy to find a way to resurrect your corrupt library.

A google search on "How to repair a corrupt music library" brings up the following suggestions:

How to repair a corrupt music library - Google Search

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Are the music files still on your Mac?

Is that 6.3 MB, or was it supposed to be 6.3 GB?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

MBAmtloin
    6.Mb is a song verse, hopefully you meant 6 GB- which is still 30-50 albums.
    if you have the music saved in files as mp3s you should be fine to upload them again.
    if not.......

i gave up the stars after mr mavericks (osx10.9) deleted them.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by MBAmtloin View Post
    6.Mb is a song verse, hopefully you meant 6 GB- which is still 30-50 albums.
    I suspect the OP is talking about the size of the iTunes database file. Not the amount of space used by individual music tracks/albums.

The term iTunes library is often used to refer to both the database file and the music tracks but iTunes does not treat the two things the same way. To use my own music as an example, according to iTunes I have over 11,500 tracks in iTunes. The files for that music consume just over 106 GB of disk space but the database file for that library consumes 6.5 MB of space according to the Finder.

If that database file has become corrupted I'm not sure how to fix that. Re-importing the songs into iTunes will get you most of the way there )it won't take as long as you think) but that won't bring back the playlists. You'll have to recreate those if we can't fix the corrupted library file.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    I found a procedure that is designed to recover a corrupted iTunes database. It was originally designed to fix corruption form a different problem but might solve your issue. I strongly suggest you make a backup of the relevant files first just in case something goes wrong.

Close iTunes
    Head to your iTunes music folder (usually username > Music > iTunes)
    Drag the iTunes Library.itl file from this folder to your desktop
    Open the Previous iTunes Libraries folder
    Find the most recent iTunes Library[DATE].itl file. Drag it into the Music > iTunes folder
    Rename the file iTunes Library.itl
    Reopen iTunes
    The entire article can be found here.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    As everybody knows I’m a strong exponent of backups so I’m always interested when someone says “I don’t use iCloud or Time Machine.”
    I can understand the ongoing subscription cost and other aspects of iCloud but why wouldn’t you use Time Machine? A 1Tb USB HD is cheap nowadays and the app is free, once a week backups would save hrs of time an effort.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

I had the same issue few months ago, and looking for recovering audio file on Mac hard drive. I used Stellar Photo Recovery software for Mac and found files its show the preview of all my previous photos, video and music files. The free version to scan & preview lost files. I hope the given info from my side helpful for you!

Thread Information