Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    How can I boost the volume of a song before adding it to my iTunes library?
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Wise and understandable decision. Friends are for life, family.............

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Retina MBP 15" 2.6 1TB ssd/16gig ram /30" dell 3008. and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
    Hi all, and thanks for all the really varied suggestions to my problem.

I tried 'Sound Check' but it wasn't good/useful for my particular problem.

DianeVan suggested something promising (She said: iTunes has a volume slider under Info/Options.) but I was unable to find Info/Options in my version of iTunes (12.6.1.25) and I wasn't able to find the said volume slider. Maybe if I had more explicit instructions about finding this feature, I could try that.

I did locate the graphic EQ within iTunes (10 band with +/- 12db boost or attenuate but) it seems good for only playback of a track but it was the right tool for my low-level track problem. I'm now wondering if I could re-record a track using this graphic EQ and having the EQ changes I apply become a permanent part of the re-recorded track??? is that possible; has anyone done that before?

I did download Audacity but it looks pretty complex - like howitzer when a screwdriver is needed. But I'll eventually learn how to use that, in time.

Unfortunately, having the tracks done over again, re-digitizing them, is not an option. This was the 2nd attempt (the first was really, really bad) and my friend, although I did really appreciate his efforts, was sorely overmatched and his technical skills peter-principaled out. He's returned the borrowed equipment already and is not likely to revisit his folly. It was not his finest moment and I'm not inclined to re-embarrass my friend.

I intend to get into Garage Band in future but to use it in a more expected way - to record a song/demo or something like that.

Thanks for all your help,

Bob M.
    Hi, opening audacity at first, it may seem that way, its not a tool with only a couple functions for sure. But it is pretty much the free swiss army knife program for single/stereo tracks out there. You literally just open the file, highlight the wave form with the mouse (get it all! both L & R!) and under effects choose normalize, and set the levels to desired. Thats it really. It's almost like using text edit, highlight all the text, and then enlarge the font

There are more complex ways but for simple purposes, this is pretty much it. It will either sound good, or if the recording is really bad and the levels are way too low then at that point it won't matter what tool you use.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBookPro 15", Original iPad, iPad 6, iPhone 5
    My iTunes version is 12.8 ### but I remember this feature has been there for years. I remember using it with music from Napster to make the songs the same volume.

1. in iTunes, play or highlight a song
    2. right click on the highlight, choose Song info, options, volume adjust.

the other suggestion about graphic EQ within iTunes sounds like a better bet because you can adjust more than just the volume.

I have a free app on my Mac called "Wondershare all my music" It records anything that is playing on the computer and saves it as a mp3. Perhaps your idea of playing the music (+volumed) would work but I don't know and the quality is uncertain too.

Have you tried to locate the music in question from other sources, like Usenet or ???

Hi all, and thanks for all the really varied suggestions to my problem.

I tried 'Sound Check' but it wasn't good/useful for my particular problem.

DianeVan suggested something promising (She said: iTunes has a volume slider under Info/Options.) but I was unable to find Info/Options in my version of iTunes (12.6.1.25) and I wasn't able to find the said volume slider. Maybe if I had more explicit instructions about finding this feature, I could try that.
    Select a track, click Edit > Song Info. Click the Options tab, the volume slider for that track is on that pane. The limitations of that adjustment I outlined in Post #26. It won't likely fix your issues.

I did locate the graphic EQ within iTunes (10 band with +/- 12db boost or attenuate but) it seems good for only playback of a track but it was the right tool for my low-level track problem. I'm now wondering if I could re-record a track using this graphic EQ and having the EQ changes I apply become a permanent part of the re-recorded track??? is that possible; has anyone done that before?
    Also detailed in Post #26. The Graphic EQ in iTunes affects all tracks, everything played through iTunes, it's not a per-track adjustment. You cannot even export the result or record the result. It's actually pretty much useless.
    I did download Audacity but it looks pretty complex - like howitzer when a screwdriver is needed. But I'll eventually learn how to use that, in time.
    It's a full tool box when you need just one tool. But it's a box filled with really good quality tools. You don't need the whole box, you just need one screwdriver that fits your screw perfectly and won't slip. That, it has.
    Unfortunately, having the tracks done over again, re-digitizing them, is not an option. This was the 2nd attempt (the first was really, really bad) and my friend, although I did really appreciate his efforts, was sorely overmatched and his technical skills peter-principaled out. He's returned the borrowed equipment already and is not likely to revisit his folly. It was not his finest moment and I'm not inclined to re-embarrass my friend.
    Audacity is your friend. The step-by-steps have been detailed in Post #16. I might add that to find the file from iTunes, you can also click File > Show In Finder, then drag the file to Audacity in the dock to open.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by Palak View Post
    This is how to you change a songs volume Level in iTunes:

1.Begin iTunes and drive to the song you want to modify the audio level to.
    2.Then, Right-click on the song name and select “Get Info”.
    3.Click on the ‘Options’ tab.
    4.Drive the Volume Adjustment slider in the way you want to change.
    5.Tick OK to set the setting for that song.
    For the benefit of others reading this thread keep the following in mind:

In some versions of iTunes this method seems to be unreliable for some users. The problem seems to be that the volume change is not retained reliably/consistently from one launch to the next.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information