Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/macforums1

Move all iTunes music to external drive

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro
    I have quite a bit of music that I wish to MOVE (not copy) from my MacBook Pro to an external hard drive. What's the best way to do this?

Again, I want to move the music and not copy it.

The external drive (I've got several to choose from) would replace my MacBook Pro as the music repository.

I'm using iTunes.

Thanks!

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Hi,

Rather than laboriously go through the stages, here is an article that tells you hove to move your iTunes library to an External Hard Drive (EHD): https://www.imore.com/how-move-your-...nal-hard-drive

NB Once moved, that EHD is your ONLY copy of the iTunes library, so be sure to back up your EHD regularly. Moreover, there is no iCloud backup with an EHD, whereas there is from your Mac if you so choose.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Just as an FYI, the only way to move files/data from one drive to another, is to copy that data. Then after everything is copied to the new location, delete the files/data from the old location.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro
    Got the information and thanks!. I'll probably have another question or two, but this is a good start!

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Just a couple of caveats from someone who has had numerous issues with iTunes librarries:

1. Do not remove the lirary files, music, etc. from your MacBook Pro until you have had time to check and make sure everyting has been transferred intact. I had an issue recently where I was comparing the files in my iTunes library with the files in a backup copy. Over the last few years several folders that I thought had gotten copied / transferred properly were empty. The folders were itact but there were no files there.

2. After you transfer the files to an external drive and tell iTunes to use those files make sure that the hard drive is mounted (appears on the desktop) before you launch iTunes. If not iTunes will revert to looking in your user folder for the files and any new music added will end up there.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Just a couple of caveats from someone who has had numerous issues with iTunes librarries:

1. Do not remove the lirary files, music, etc. from your MacBook Pro until you have had time to check and make sure everyting has been transferred intact. I had an issue recently where I was comparing the files in my iTunes library with the files in a backup copy. Over the last few years several folders that I thought had gotten copied / transferred properly were empty. The folders were itact but there were no files there.

2. After you transfer the files to an external drive and tell iTunes to use those files make sure that the hard drive is mounted (appears on the desktop) before you launch iTunes. If not iTunes will revert to looking in your user folder for the files and any new music added will end up there.
    Excellent advice. Thanks!!

Did a full backup overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Just as an FYI, the only way to move files/data from one drive to another, is to copy that data. Then after everything is copied to the new location, delete the files/data from the old location.
    Actually, if you hold down the CMD key while dragging and dropping from one drive to another, you can move the files rather than copy them.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 14, iPhone 8+ iOS 12, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iOS 12, Pencil 1
    Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    Actually, if you hold down the CMD key while dragging and dropping from one drive to another, you can move the files rather than copy them.
    Thanks, wasn't familiar with that command?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    It is indeed so. Cmd + drag always moves, and Option + Drag always copies.

But in the OP's case, it's important to copy the iTunes Library first, check that it works - then delete the original. As in the Link I posted.

This is not a bad practice to follow especially with sensitive data. Cmd + Drag moves; but a tremble with the finger and the data gets dumped goodness knows where - or lost.

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Cmd + Drag moves; but a tremble with the finger and the data gets dumped goodness knows where - or lost.

Ian
    That's what CMD + Z is for
    -Jonathan

Your Mac's Specs
    Nice one, Jonathan. Perfectly correct if one remembers in time before doing something else. I tend to be a "belt and braces" man. Minimise risk. An unsteady hand comes with age, I'm afraid

Ian
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IWT View Post
    Perfectly correct if one remembers in time before doing something else
    That's what CMD + F is for.

Ok, I'll stop

As long as the end result is good, that's more important than how you get there.
    -Jonathan

Thread Information