44.1k but not 48k?
    I posted this question at the end of a long post and realized it will probably get lost. I have a digital coaxial to optical convertor hooked up from my DAT machine into my iMac. It works great at 44.1 but will not work at 48k. I have audio midi set to 48k when I try at 48k the computer switches back to analog and does not see the signal. I double checked on another Mac and the same thing. The converter should work at 48 since it works for DVD's etc. Is there any reason it should be giving me a problem?

44.1k but not 48k?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah
    Firstly, are you sure the converter is carrying a 24/48 signal from your DVD player? If you're receiving stereo rather than 5.1, then chances are the receiving signal is the 16bit stereo soundtrack. If you're entirely positive that the full 24/48 signal is being received from the DVD player, then I'd look to the settings on your DAT. Is is set to 24/48? Is it set to automatically upsample to 24/192 (beyond the limit of optical).

Optical is capable of carrying 24bit (up to 96Khz), and Coaxial pretty much any digital signal on the consumer market. The convertor however may be limited to 16bit. Generally speaking, all digital transmission devices should reach 24/48 no problem, but only if the 'receiving end' is set to / capable of recognising the signal.

What DAT machine are you using?
    I just can't get enough of that Apple loveliness! Piled up they are, piled up around the house - like acrylic and aluminium testaments to Apple's genius. And they all work perfectly, obviously.

I actually could not get it to work with my DVD, it just says in it's description that it is used for DVD transfers. My DAT is a very old Tascam DA-30 and there is no setting for bit, it only shows that the tapes were recorded at 48k. If I recall, I was only recording at 16 back when I made the tapes but I'm not positive, I know it would be no higher than 24.

44.1k but not 48k?
    Your Mac's Specs
    Intel iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone 4, iPods, AirPort blah blah
    If you were recording at a 16bit resolution then the playback will automatically switch to 44.1 as there's no upsampler on the output of the DA-30. Try making a recording at 24bit/48khz and see what happens on playback, it should be ok.
    I just can't get enough of that Apple loveliness! Piled up they are, piled up around the house - like acrylic and aluminium testaments to Apple's genius. And they all work perfectly, obviously.

Thanks. I The saga continues but changes a bit. It started to work at 48k after trying yet another cable, this time a high end coaxial BUT, there is popcorn sound coming through but it eventually drops the signal all together back and forth. As I move either the cable or convertor it seems to affect it some times but not others? Same DAT machine going into another DAT sounds fine.

I did your test Filterlab, recorded at 48k and 24 bit, Popcorn static as well. I even REPLACED the convertor with a new one, same problem. The only thing left is the optical cable? It was brand new (and shows a steady red light), or the Mac input doesn't work at 48k?
    This problem is there with either of 2 software programs or direct from the mac. BTW, it sounds and works great with 44.1k. I keep wishing I'm missing some obvious little thing still---------

Thread Information