Spdif input into 2010 iMac
    I want to copy digital audio from a DAT players rca style digital SPDIF output into the direct input of my 2010 i3 imac. (they call it the S/PDIF Optical Digital Audio input) My old cables will not work (but they transfer the stereo audio outs fine). I was told I would not need a converter for this since it was a digital input. (It is going into Digital Performer but will not work in GarageBand either, it is definitely an input issue) Thank you!!

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    I used one of these several years ago.

monoprice.com

These converters do require they be plugged in to power them.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Thank you! Just to double check, my iMac input is small and round and fits standard mini stereo audio inputs (1/8"?, not square.) Is this still the correct connector?

Your Mac's Specs
    21in. iMac 10.11 --- HP Linux Mint 18

Your Mac's Specs
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    10-4

digital coax to the converter, standard optical cable from the converter to the adapter cradom linked to above

If you need to purchase an optical cable, you could get one of these instead of the adapter - it's got the standard optical on one end and the mini optical on the other.

Thanks! That should work.

I bought the above items. I've got to be missing some simple thing and can't find an answer searching. There is absolutely no signal from the DAT SPDIF out - to the adapter - to the optical cable -to iMacs input. I am using an old RCA style cable for the output of my DAT, which I believe I used to use for SPDIF. On the mac preferences I selected Audio line-in port, which is the only option I see-no mention of optical. When I output regular audio from the analog outs of the same DAT into the same imac combo input, it works fine. DO I have to select optical somewhere else other than sound preferences? I can't find it. Thanks!!

Your Mac's Specs
    Will assume you have the DAT set to output digital.

Do you have the power cable plugged into the adapter?

Have you got a signal coming out of the optical port on the converter or end of the cable? Should have a red light coming out.

Can't help with the options you might have in Sound preferences. You might mention what app you're using to try and listen/record. We do have a few members familiar with a variety of audio apps.

The DAT only labels the output as digital, product info says it is digital coaxial SPDIF. There is nowhere to select the output on the DAT. The power cable is plugged into the converter and I do see red at the end of the cable. I am going on the assumption that standard ole RCA cable will work as a digital/coax rca cable, I think I used to use them and they worked fine. I've tried both Digital Performer and Garage band with no luck. I don't see a signal at the input signal indicator on the Mac sound preference either, whereas if I switch to built-in mic, or plug in an analog input, I do. ---I just selected the built-in mic in the audio configuration with Digital Performer and there is an audio signal with that, switch to built-in input, nothing.

Your Mac's Specs
    No, you cannot use a standard composite audio cable for digital audio, even though they both use the same connection. That cable will not carry the bandwidth required. You need a digital coaxial cable. Some examples at monoprice.

Wouldn't I get some sort of a bad signal? I am getting nothing at all. BTW, I did also try a yellow rca cable from a 3 cable grouping red/white/yellow for a vcr if that is any different. Maybe I'm missing the basic concept. I am expecting this digital audio to still play into the iMac and appear as a stream of audio like any other. Like when I record audio tracks in Digital Performer from either an analog audio in or virtual instrument in.Am I wrong on this?

Your Mac's Specs
    You need a digital coaxial cable for digital audio. The composite cables you're attempting to use will not work.

Thank you again! I'll get some.

I have gotten a hold of a thick cable with gold ends that is working with this set up at 44.1k. I was assuming it is a coaxial digital since it works at 44.1 but I am not getting a signal at 48k. I tried it on 2 different computers and it was for sure set at 48k in audio midi on both the Macs. I am going to purchase a new coaxial so I will know for sure I have the right thing but since they are so pricey, I just want to check first and see if this makes any sense, it working fine at 44.1 but not 48 and it being the cables fault. (I called Monoprice and they did not know the limitations of the convertor) Thanks again--I'm getting closer!!

Thread Information