Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Creating / Adding subtitles to videos that will be uploaded
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I've been putting off restarting the Mac-Forums video chats for some time now and finally decided to work on that a bit this week. I hope to have a few things ready to go some time around Christmas/New Years. In the process of working through things I'd like some advice on the best way to add subtitles/closed captioning to the videos. I think this would be appreciated by members/viewers who have hearing impairments. Older version of QuickTime used to handle art files but my understanding is that no longer works.

I know that one way to do this is to use the Title feature of iMovie but it seems that this would be somewhat slow. Also print to errors given my typing skills. I'd appreciate any suggestions especially as it comes to workflow. Software suggestions are welcome although in some ways I'd like to accomplish this using software already on the Mac but would purchase software if it will improve the result/save time.

At the moment I plan to create short videos (10 min or less) which either demonstrate a tip or discuss some topic. Longer videos might be produced from time to time if a project warranted it/if there is interest. I plan to stockpile a few videos before officially releasing them so that there would be 2 release days during the week. One video would focus on Mac issues/tips. Later in the week an OS tip would be released.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Adding subtitles would be nice but in my opinion, probably not really necessary. Do you watch any YouTube teaching videos? Most if not all that I have seen do not include subtitles. But if you feel it's something that you would like to do, then by all means press on.

Check these out:

10 Free Useful Subtitle Maker Tools You Deserve to Collect

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Thanks for that link. I'll check it out. I saw the first one last night right before I started this thread but hadn't seen the others. I might have seen the page that you linked to and just hadn't taken time to scroll through all of it yet.

I agree that subtitles/captioning fits into the nice but not 100% necessary category. Since one of the hopes/goals was to create something that might drive new users to the forums I had planned for there to be a forum post/thread as a discussion point for each video. sort of like we did with the old video chats.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Are you looking for sub-titles, closed captioning or both?

I've never subscribed to the video chats, what does it require? Would I need a video camera/mic, or is it just a video and text chat?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    I was mainly thinking of closed captioning since it might be useful for those who have hearing impairments. But, I can achieve a similar result by posting a transcript of each show/tip in the associated thread.

Originally the chats were handled through Google Hangout if someone were going to participate live.. We originally had myself and one other forum member involved but it was open to anyone. We discussed Mac/Apple-related stuff as well as anything else interesting that came to mind that week. Our own RadDave appeared on a number of these shows. Eventually it became sort of a one man show so to speak. If someone was not participating live they could/be accessed like any ogre YouTube video.

we stopped the chats when t looked like the forum was going to disappear but you can find the old episodes here.
    Kevin Durant

Thread Information