Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

export video from iPhone to iMovie
    I have a very valuable video (5 minutes long) on my iPhone that I would like to get into an iMovie file. I know how to get digital photos into my Photo file by selecting it on the phone, click the up icon, select Mail, and send but it does not work for this video (message says too large). Suggestions please

thank you

poppi

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    Use Air Drop instead. Select the video on your iPhone and make sure that your iPhone and Mac are on the same network. One of the choices you'll get when selecting the video is to use Air Drop. When selecting Air Drop you'll see the name of your Mac show up on the iPhone. Press the Air Drop button and the video will be sent to your Downloads folder on the Mac. From there you can move it elsewhere on the Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Use Air Drop instead. Select the video on your iPhone and make sure that your iPhone and Mac are on the same network. One of the choices you'll get when selecting the video is to use Air Drop. When selecting Air Drop you'll see the name of your Mac show up on the iPhone. Press the Air Drop button and the video will be sent to your Downloads folder on the Mac. From there you can move it elsewhere on the Mac.
    Thank you. Tried that but when I click Airdrop I get a message "No people Found" I must be missing something

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Give these suggestions a quick read. It takes care of the most common causes for errors.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    Hey Sly:

I seem to remember that member Poppi is using an older Mac that may not be compatible with Airdrop.

@Poppi:

Which Mac do you have? Read thru the suggestions that Slydude gave you the link for and let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Hey Sly:

I seem to remember that member Poppi is using an older Mac that may not be compatible with Airdrop.

@Poppi:

Which Mac do you have? Read thru the suggestions that Slydude gave you the link for and let us know.
    Sounds like the answer. Here is what it says for compatibility

"Mac from 2012 or later (excluding the mid-2012 Mac Pro) using OS X Yosemite or later" and mine is Mac early 2008. Does that mean I cannot use Airdrop?

poppi

Your Mac's Specs
    Yeah, I'm sorry Poppi, but Airdrop is not available for you since your Mac is too old to support it. I use Airdrop quite often since we receive many charts via iMessage and sending them to my iMac is quite easy with Airdrop. Hopefully maybe our Moderator Slydude who knows more about how to do things like that than me will come up with an answer for you.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Mojave; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Try splitting the video into sections on your phone (via Edit, save as new) then uploading individually to the computer and merging once you get them into iMovie. Another trick may be to upload to facebook from your phone, presuming you have an account, then downloading to your Mac. I would guess some quality may be lost but it's worth a go.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @poppi

There is another way, but it depends on having the appropriate version of iTunes. All the details are below including the minimum iTunes version needed. In your case, where it talks about Photos, it might show up as iPhoto. Worth a look; who knows

Importing photos to your Mac requires iTunes 12.5.1 or later.
    Connect your iPhone to your Mac with a USB cable.

You might need to unlock your iOS device using your passcode. You might also see a prompt on the iOS device asking you to Trust This Computer. Tap Trust to continue.
    On your Mac, the Photos app automatically opens. If it doesn't, open the Photos app. (or iPhoto app)

The Photos app shows an Import screen with all the photos and videos that are on your connected device. If the Import screen doesn't automatically appear, click the Import tab at the top of the Photos app, or click the device's name in the Photos sidebar.
    To import a selection of photos or videos, click the ones you want, then click Import Selected. To import all new photos/videos, click Import All New Photos.

In macOS High Sierra or later, imported photos appear in the Photos app's Import album. If you're using an earlier version of macOS, you'll find them in your Last Import album.

Ian
    Ian

Thank you Ian

This is encouraging. My iTunes is 12.8.8 and my O/S is 10.11.6 El Capitan so I will certainly give this a try as soon as I get a few minutes

poppi

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    What about Image Capture? If you have it on the Mac, and a cable to connect your phone to the Mac, do so, then import via Image Capture. I definitely works on my system.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    @Poppi:

Great suggestion from Jake. Try what he suggested and let us know. I forgot about using Image Capture.

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    What about Image Capture? If you have it on the Mac, and a cable to connect your phone to the Mac, do so, then import via Image Capture. I definitely works on my system.
    Tried that Jake and it worked beautifully, fastest, cleanest, and least complicated I have ever used for exporting to Mac AND it works. Thanks a million. I might try it for importing from my camcorder next

poppi

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Glad that worked, poppi. I like Image Capture for the simplicity. It works with my scanner pretty well, too. I don't know if it works with camcorders, but it is worth trying.
    Jake

Thread Information