Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Software suggestions to join mp4 files?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    In theory, Quicktime can be used to join two MP4 files which it does. However, it gives an error when trying to save. I've tried all the suggestions on Apple help (for example like sharing to Mail then saving). I've Googled but found no working solution. I seem to have exhausted the major 'free' players but am reluctant to pay for something that will also fail do this one task. Happy to pay for something that does though. Does anyone have any suggestions that work?
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Isn't that something that iMovie does? I don't know, but I believe it will?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

You can use iMovie which is included for free on your Mac. Create a new project and drag any number of MP4 files in that project. Once finished, File->Share->File... and you can save the combined file.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz0rEdge View Post
    You can use iMovie which is included for free on your Mac. Create a new project and drag any number of MP4 files in that project. Once finished, File->Share->File... and you can save the combined file.
    Apart from being incredibly slow and laborious iMovie won't save/share/export the combined file either. I have determines a long winded workaround though...

'Convert' the files from .mp4 to .mp4 using Handbrake (If not done Quicktime will not save or export merged file). Merge using Quicktime. Export as .MOV (the only option). Use Handbrake to convert .MOV to .MP4.

It works but there must be a better way.

I have been looking for a good app to join video files together as well - although in my case it was primarily for .avi files (although I suppose I could convert them to mp4)

Visual Hub used to be a great app for all sorts of video file manipulation including "stitching" files together as the called it.
    But the last update, and even that was a "special" was for Lion. Don't know if it works beyond that.

There were a few Mac programs after Visual Hub that claimed to be replacements, but none were ever as good or intuitive to use.
    VideoMonkey was one I think

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Many of the paid programs have a brief period where you are able to try various features before purchasing the program. At one point I had several of the free ones on my Mac but have removed most of them due to their not being 64-bit software. I kist updated a couple of programs I picked up dirt cheap on the current Bundle Hut bundle. In theory, either of them should work.

In a day or two, I should be able to test them to see if they work.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

VisualHub was apparently modified slightly to work up to Mojave
    Techspansion - Lion Updaters now available for VisualHub and Audialhub!

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Many of the paid programs have a brief period where you are able to try various features before purchasing the program. At one point I had several of the free ones on my Mac but have removed most of them due to their not being 64-bit software. I kist updated a couple of programs I picked up dirt cheap on the current Bundle Hut bundle. In theory, either of them should work.

MacX Video Converter Pro sounds pretty amazing for $3.- plus $1.- to unlock the bundle right now.

Last time there was a bundle I was late and had to pay $5.- to unlock for basically just one app I wanted, but then I ended up getting a bunch more that I might use since they were cheap.

Trouble is they clutter up the Mac and after a while I can't even remember what some of them do unless the apps name is cryptic.
    For some I can add a bit of info about the app in brackets after the name - others won't let me do that, don't quite know why...

I liked VisualHub because it gave me all the options related to video (and audio) I needed.
    Combining several clips was one, increasing the audio volume on some clips was another.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post

Trouble is they clutter up the Mac and after a while I can't even remember what some of them do unless the apps name is cryptic.
    For some I can add a bit of info about the app in brackets after the name - others won't let me do that, don't quite know why...

I liked VisualHub because it gave me all the options related to video (and audio) I needed.
    Combining several clips was one, increasing the audio volume on some clips was another.
    I've had the same problem. I haven't quite figured out a solution for that yet. That's somebody's way of telling me I need to clear some of the cruft out of the hard drive a little more often. I too liked VisualHub and used it for as long as I could until it finally gave up the ghost so to speak.
    Kevin Durant

I just tried VisualHub with the updater - that is supposed to work up to Mojave.
    Tried to join three avi files and then three mp4 files.
    Got about half way through and then got the same Applesript error messages in both cases.

I assume if someone knows what they are doing, this seems like an easy fix....but not for me.VisualHub_AppleScriptError_500.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post

Slydude - Have you had a chance to try any of the apps you bought yet?
    Any from the Bundle Hunt you bought that you would recommend?

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Slydude - Have you had a chance to try any of the apps you bought yet?
    Any from the Bundle Hunt you bought that you would recommend?
    Not yet. things are pretty busy this week. I probably won't be able to try till the weekend.

It's entirely possible though that the problem may not occur unless I can find a problematic file. Most of the file joining programs, including QT Player, usually handles things pretty well for me.
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
    In theory, Quicktime can be used to join two MP4 files which it does. However, it gives an error when trying to save. I've tried all the suggestions on Apple help (for example like sharing to Mail then saving). I've Googled but found no working solution. I seem to have exhausted the major 'free' players but am reluctant to pay for something that will also fail do this one task. Happy to pay for something that does though. Does anyone have any suggestions that work?
    There’s a roundabout way to do this that I’ve done myself. You can use MKVToolnix to initially merge the videos together (add the first, then use the “append” option to add the others). This will losslessly output an mkv video. From here, if you need it back in the m4v format, use a remuxing tool like Subler to losslessly convert the mkv file back to an m4v.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 17; 8 gigs
    Are these something you can post somewhere? I wonder if one or both files have an issue.

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by tlmurray View Post
    Are these something you can post somewhere? I wonder if one or both files have an issue.
    It's every file I try to join - nothing special files related.

Thread Information