Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I use QuickTime 7 Pro to do this. QT7 won't run on Catalina, but Mojave and earlier run it just fine.

You literally just open both files, then command+A on the one you want to join to the other to select all, command+c to copy, then move the play head on the other video to where you want to insert the copied video, and command+V to paste. Not sure it can get any easier than that. You can also replace audio, which I've done in the past to censor profanity.
    Last edited by usagora; 11-07-2019 at 06:53 PM.
    -Jonathan
    iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) - 2.9 GHz Intel Core i5
    MacBook Air (13-inch, Mid 2012) - 1.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Software suggestions to join mp4 files?
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeisabeach View Post
    There’s a roundabout way to do this that I’ve done myself. You can use MKVToolnix to initially merge the videos together (add the first, then use the “append” option to add the others). This will losslessly output an mkv video. From here, if you need it back in the m4v format, use a remuxing tool like Subler to losslessly convert the mkv file back to an m4v.
    Excellent! Problem solved. MKVToolnix works perfectly. The trick as you say is to use the 'append' option - not 'add'. Also knowing that 'Run' is called 'Start Multiplexing' helps!!
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
    In theory, Quicktime can be used to join two MP4 files which it does. However, it gives an error when trying to save. I've tried all the suggestions on Apple help (for example like sharing to Mail then saving). I've Googled but found no working solution. I seem to have exhausted the major 'free' players but am reluctant to pay for something that will also fail do this one task. Happy to pay for something that does though. Does anyone have any suggestions that work?
    I had never used Quicktime to join video files, but am just trying it now with two .avi files.
    Worked fine but it is very cumbersome.
    Quicktime first converts the .avi files to .mov files, then joining them took quite a while since the files were large and finally it's now again taking a long time to do the .mov conversion of the joined files to the format one wants - I chose going from .mov to .mp4 instead back to .avi.

Sawday - you write "save" - if that is what you are doing that might be your problem - you need to chose "export" in the QT menu as far as I know. That's what I did and it works fine for me.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 17; 8 gigs
    I just tried VideoPad from NCH Software - Free Software Downloads and Installs/ and it was great. The files where the same resolution, same size ratio; I didn't try files that were different. Also does transitions between files. I used it once and it offered buy now or pay later", so I don't know how long it lasts for free. But I got it, as it's a lot easier than Adobe Premier.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac: 27”, 3.4 GHz, 16Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone5s
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I had never used Quicktime to join video files, but am just trying it now with two .avi files.
    Worked fine but it is very cumbersome.
    Quicktime first converts the .avi files to .mov files, then joining them took quite a while since the files were large and finally it's now again taking a long time to do the .mov conversion of the joined files to the format one wants - I chose going from .mov to .mp4 instead back to .avi.

Sawday - you write "save" - if that is what you are doing that might be your problem - you need to chose "export" in the QT menu as far as I know. That's what I did and it works fine for me.
    Yes I tried Export. The 'Save' option is greyed out after joining files - but is an option if a file is simply trimmed.
    Experience teaches you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Thread Information