Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ripping soundtrack from owned dvd
    I own the DVD Movie "Camelot" starring Richard Harris and Vanessa Redgrave, I also own the CD Soundtrack of Camelot featuring Richard Burton and Julie Andrews.
    I much prefer the Harris and Redgrave performances from the Movie version and would like to copy the songs from this to listen via a USB stick on my car stereo.
    Is it legal to do this as I own the media???
    If so how do I achieve this?

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    You only own the media, not the story or the soundtrack. The “media” is the material the “art” is stored upon, either a book, LP album, audio/video cassette, CD/DVD optical disc, etc. The “art” has been licensed to you on the original media only.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Agree with what Bob has said. Now, no one is going to come chasing after you if you do spend the time and energy to rip just portions of the DVD movie to an audio (MP3 for example) format for your personal listening.

You will first have to find a movie player (DVD Player is one on your Mac) to play the movie and scroll to the part where the songs are and then using another program to record the output device or something to that effect. I don't do a lot of recording, so can't give you exact steps.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Holclo View Post
    I own the DVD Movie "Camelot" starring Richard Harris and Vanessa Redgrave, I also own the CD Soundtrack of Camelot featuring Richard Burton and Julie Andrews.
    I much prefer the Harris and Redgrave performances from the Movie version and would like to copy the songs from this to listen via a USB stick on my car stereo.
    Is it legal to do this as I own the media???
    If so how do I achieve this?
    Hello - I assume that the DVD opens w/ a copyright statement, if so, then making a copy (whether of the film and/or soundtrack) is illegal, but if done for personal use only, likely unimportant; however, if copies are being given away to friends or family or are being sold, and someone reports you to the law, then prosecution would be possible - more HERE for further details.

As to the process, suggestions have been given - don't know if you have a Mac or PC which would make a difference as to the software available, so just google 'how to rip soundtrack from dvd on mac' (or change mac to pc if applicable) and look at the hits - there are 'free' and paid options, the latter would be best - I've ripped a lot of my own CDs over the years (for personal use) but not any DVDs - others may of course 'chime in' w/ more specific suggestions. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Quote Originally Posted by RadDave View Post
    Hello - I assume that the DVD opens w/ a copyright statement, if so, then making a copy (whether of the film and/or soundtrack) is illegal, but if done for personal use only, likely unimportant; however, if copies are being given away to friends or family or are being sold, and someone reports you to the law, then prosecution would be possible - more HERE for further details.

As to the process, suggestions have been given - don't know if you have a Mac or PC which would make a difference as to the software available, so just google 'how to rip soundtrack from dvd on mac' (or change mac to pc if applicable) and look at the hits - there are 'free' and paid options, the latter would be best - I've ripped a lot of my own CDs over the years (for personal use) but not any DVDs - others may of course 'chime in' w/ more specific suggestions. Dave
    Thanks to everyone who has replied. Firstly let me state clearly again this request is/was for personal use only.
    I am working via an iMac. I indeed have looked at some hints etc but find them unclear and invariably the screens or options they refer to rarely seem to match what I am seeing!! I already have installed Handbrake and VLC . I guess I need an idiots guide but do appreciate this is not something readily approved on this particular form. I do totally understand that.
    William

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Holclo View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has replied. Firstly let me state clearly again this request is/was for personal use only.
    I am working via an iMac. I indeed have looked at some hints etc but find them unclear and invariably the screens or options they refer to rarely seem to match what I am seeing!! I already have installed Handbrake and VLC . I guess I need an idiots guide but do appreciate this is not something readily approved on this particular form. I do totally understand that.
    William
    Hi William - both Handbrake and VLC have come up in the forum in the past - I've never used either app, so would be of no help - hopefully others familiar w/ these programs will respond. Good luck again. Dave
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Thanks RadDave

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
    David
    Passwords should be like a tooth brush renew every three months

Hi David
    Thanks for your post. Yes I have been all over this advice - even have it printed out!! But I can't even get past the first steps!! The screenshots don't look like the ones
    I see
    I have clicked boxes etc and have seen somethings appearing like VOBs but don't know how to proceed. Advancing years have left me a bit clueless
    William

Your Mac's Specs
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.12.6. iPhone 5 iOS 11.3.
    The screenshots don't look like the ones
    I see
    That's because they are from a Windows machine.

I've just spent some time trying to do it using the instructions from here:
    3 Ways to Rip DVD Audio to MP3 Using VLC Media Player - wikiHow

I tried the "Using VLC on Mac" and "Combining VLC and Handbrake" and all i get is a text file of gobbledegook.

I would suggest using Handbrake to rip the dvd to a video file, and then open the file in Quicktime and then use the Export...Audio Only option.
    HandBrake: Open Source Video Transcoder

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Normally I'd suggest Handbrake but there is one potential problem. The DVD in question is probably copy-protected. Handbrake generally doesn't decode these DVDs. It tends to honor the copy protection. I tried it recently with the curent version of Handbrake and a recently purchased DVD. The resulting file was unusable (badly corrupted audio).
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    I wonder, if the DVD is commercial, will you have to break the security DRM encoding, because you are “copying” them?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    Yes I think you do have to break the DRM to copy it. Otherwise someone could just make a copy and pass it on to someone else. In this case the OP is not trying to copy the disc but merely extract the audio. My bet is that as long as you're trying to extract anything the DRM will be triggered.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    You only own the media, not the story or the soundtrack. The “media” is the material the “art” is stored upon, either a book, LP album, audio/video cassette, CD/DVD optical disc, etc. The “art” has been licensed to you on the original media only.
    Just a comment.....
    I don't know where Holclo lives, but there are members here I noticed from all over the world.
    What you quoted as far as copyright law is concerned applies to the US but not necessarily to other countries.

For Canada for instance, google will bring this up:
    A copy made for someone else, or for any purpose other than the copier's own use, is not a private copy. In Canada, private copying is legal and does not infringe on copyright. Under Canada's Copyright Act, it is legal for individuals to copy recorded music for their own personal use.

Years ago I was more interested in music than now, but what I generally did was
    a. Use Mac theRipper to get rid of any protection
    b. Use Handbrake or something similar to extract the audio, and
    c, Use Audacity to pick out the songs I wanted from the audio track.

But I'm not sure if all of those apps are still available for the latest version of macOS

Thread Information