Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Photos in iMovie
    I recently had to upgrade my O/S to El Capitan which switched my photos program from iPhoto to Photo. In the past when I wanted to add picture(s) to a movie project I clicked the camera icon in the editor and my iPhoto file list appeared and I could select photos from there to drag to the events. Now when I click on the camera icon I get a message "No media was found". When I click the music icon it shows my iTunes file list as in the past but that no longer works for photos. Is there a seting I am missing?

Thank you

poppi

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    What version of iMovie? Is there an update for iMovie available?
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    What version of iMovie? Is there an update for iMovie available?
    It is iMovie 11 (v 9.0.4) and there don't appear to be any updates.

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Photos in iMovie

Hmmm…??? Apple's statement there seems a bit odd and not quite the same as some users discovered even though the dates are quite different. And how did these users get the iMovie updated??? Apple's notice Published Date: May 13, 2016.

JesInDC
    User level: Level 1
    (10 points)
    Answer:A:
    I had this problem too and I was going crazy -- it just occurred to me to check the app store if there were any updates for iMovie and there was one. I installed the iMovie update to version 10.0.9 (I was on 10.0.6 before) and after it installed, the connection to the photo library was back. Praise be!
    Posted on Aug 8, 2015 7:19 AM
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7164330

Something seems a bit odd to me. Just saying… but at least there seems to be a workaround.

- Patrick
    ======

I am continuing to struggle with this problem. One of the suggestions offered this solution:

You can access your Photos library from within iMovie:

In the left-hand sidebar of the iMovie window, select Photos Library.
    Click the pop-up menu at the top of the image browser to choose a content category—My Albums, Albums, Years, Collections, Moments, or Places.
    When you find the photo you’d like to use, drag it into the Timeline.

I have searched the entire page and cannot find the referenced selector in the left hand side of the iMovie window. Off hand that sopunds like it might work but I cannot find it. Suggestions?

poppi

Photos in iMovie
    It is iMovie 11 (v 9.0.4) and there don't appear to be any updates.

What Mac OS X version are you running, and excuse me if I missed that fact if it had been mentioned???

And there seems to be an updated versions for:
    Apple iMovie 9.0.9 Updater
    and Version 10.1.9 if you can use it :
    (Requirements
    Intel
    OS X 10.13.2 or later)
    at:
    https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/5662/apple-imovie

EDIT: Other 9.0.x versions of iMovie here :
    https://support.apple.com/downloads/imovie

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 05-20-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    My version of iMovie is 10.1.9 and those options are there. Launch iMovie and go to the Windows menu. You can choose to show/hide libraries (Command, Shift and 1 simultaneously IIRC).

I'm running High Sierra but I think that version would also run under El Capitan.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

[QUOTE=pm-r;1792667]What Mac OS X version are you running, and excuse me if I missed that fact if it had been mentioned???

And there seems to be an updated versions for:
    Apple iMovie 9.0.9 Updater
    and Version 10.1.9 if you can use it :
    (Requirements
    Intel
    OS X 10.13.2 or later)
    at:
    https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/5662/apple-imovie

I downloaded 9.0.9 but it still doesn't solve my problem. Still get a "no media was found" message. Clicking on Window button at the top shows a check mark next to Photos (between music and titles in the list) but the media window (lower right) shows the no media message.

Is it possible the program is trying to load iPhoto instead of Photo? I tried to open iPhoto but was told my version is not compatible with El Capitan - update at the Apple store but when I tried to get it at the App store I was told it is not available.

Utterly confused

poppi

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    What version of iPhoto are you using? Did you get it from the App Store?

Edit: There is an update for iPhoto, that will make it compatible with El Capitan.
    Last edited by ferrarr; 05-20-2018 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added info
    -- Bob --

Photos in iMovie
    I downloaded 9.0.9 but it still doesn't solve my problem.
    … … …
    Utterly confused

And you still haven't let us know what Mac OS X version you're running.

If in doubt, it's listed and shown under the apple in the menubar icon under About This Mac

And you might want to do any and all repairs or fixes you can with Disk Utility in case some stuff is mucked up.

- Patrick
    ======

[QUOTE=pm-r;1792676]And you still haven't let us know what Mac OS X version you're running.

If in doubt, it's listed and shown under the apple in the menubar icon under About This Mac

And you might want to do any and all repairs or fixes you can with Disk Utility in case some stuff is mucked up.

I am running El Capitan 10.11.6. For years I was on Snow Leopard 10.6. I have had a myriad of problems since that upgrade

poppi

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    iPhoto is now at ver 9.6.1 and will work, with iMovie and El Capitan.

Check the App Store for an update to iPhoto. If it does not show in the App Store, confirm it is available on your App Store Purchased page.

If iPhoto is available on the Purchased page, then you can delete the one on your Mac. Then download and install iPhoto.
    -- Bob --

iPhoto is now at ver 9.6.1 and will work, with iMovie and El Capitan.

Check the App Store for an update to iPhoto. If it does not show in the App Store, confirm it is available on your App Store Purchased page.

If iPhoto is available on the Purchased page, then you can delete the one on your Mac. Then download and install iPhoto.
    OK I went to the App store and tried to download 9.6.1 and got this message"

This update is not available for this Apple ID either because it was bought by a different user or the item was refunded or cancelled.

What does that mean? Another even more perplexing question - Why is Apple marketing both Photos and iPhoto applications? What ids the difference? It is maddening how Apple continues "upgrading" their offerings and creating total confusion

poppi

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    Did you look on your App Store Purchased page? If you purchased iPhoto through the App Store, then it should be listed there for download?

Open the App Store, and in the top Menu Bar, select Store, and confirmed you are logged in with your Apple ID? Do you have another Apple ID?

See if any of these updates help, https://support.apple.com/downloads/iphoto
    -- Bob --

Thread Information