Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
    Hmmm. OK, last suggestion, then I'm out of ideas. For the photo that you want to use, create a one photo Slideshow in iPhoto, and then export it, which will give you a movie file which hopefully you should be able to use.
    Thank you MightyGem. This is the first thing that worked (after a fashion). Here is what I need to do to import photos to an iMovie project.

In Photos select photo > file > create slide show name – or * > file > export > export slide show > desktop > export. In iMovie File > import > movies > select > import. In iMovie event Library click on photo > right click > add still frame to project > adjust length. I needed to do this for each photo, only 13 but it took forever. Before my upgrade all I had to do was click the camera icon in iMovie and my iPhotos appeared and I dragged the ones I wanted into the project.

I appreciate all that you and the other forum members have done to try to help but I am furious with Apple for turning a very user friendly program into a nightmare. I am seriously thinking of looking for a replacement for iMovie. Suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks again

poppi

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Mojave
    I am seriously thinking of looking for a replacement for iMovie. Suggestions will be appreciated.
    The Top 12 alternatives to iMovie

Be forewarned that some of the suggestions in that link are expensive.

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.12.6. iPhone 5 iOS 11.3.
    I am furious with Apple for turning a very user friendly program into a nightmare.
    I understand your frustration, Poppi, but iMovie 11(V9) was released in 2010 for OS X 10.6, Snow Leopard and designed to work with iPhoto. It's now 8 years old and was replaced by iMovie10(v10) 5 years ago. Photos was released 2 years later and designed to link with iMovie10.

I don't think that it's unreasonable that Apple has not updated iMovie11 to work with later versions of OS X and Photos.

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    poppi, if iPhoto is listed in the Mac App Sore, on your Purchased page, then you can download the most up to date version to work with El Capitan, which should work with iMovie. If it is listed there, move iPhoto from the Applications folder to the Trash, close and reopen the App Store and download iPhoto from the Purchased page.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    iPhoto is still listed under my purchased items, however, I'm not sure if it's the latest version since I've long since removed it from my Mac. Poppi should be able to download the latest version he was using at the time.

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.12.6. iPhone 5 iOS 11.3.
    if iPhoto is listed in the Mac App Sore, on your Purchased page
    Possibly not. It's not on mine. Could that be because I acquired iPhoto on my first Mac before the App Store existed?

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.14.4 beta
    I believe iPhoto is only going to show in Purchased Items if it was purchased through the App Store. If it was then the latest version should be available for downlad.

IIRC there was a glitch at one time that would not let you download the newest version if certain versions were already present. I think the solution was to move the existing version of iPhoto into an folder and then enter the App Store. go to Purchases, and download the most recent version.
    “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
    Possibly not. It's not on mine. Could that be because I acquired iPhoto on my first Mac before the App Store existed?
    I believe iPhoto was part of the iLife package at one time. The iLife package was included with my first Mac which was a 2008 White Plastic MacBook. But I do remember that the iPhoto updates were offered to me over the years until Photos replaced it.

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 8+ iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13,  Pencil 1
    Remember when, they started giving it free with new Macs, then they gave it away for free, https://imacify.com/2013/10/how-to-g...n-older-macs/? And when it became available in the App Store, you were offered the App Store version of the iLife suite? iPhoto, needed a specific update, to make it compatible with Yosemite, or El Capitan, I forget which. And many people never updated iPhoto prior to the OS upgrade, and it needed to be deleted, then installed from the (Mac) App Store. But the OP, coming from Snow Leopard, never got the version of iPhoto that was free from the App Store.
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Photos in iMovie
    Remember when,

Thanks Bob, that was one of the iPhoto etc. install methods I was trying to recall.

And at least apple still has the "iPhoto Library Upgrader 1.1" available at:
    https://support.apple.com/downloads/iphoto

And I'd be surprised if what the OP wants or needs isn't still available somewhere on the 'net. The older needed stuff may just not be available at the Apple's site.

A websearch could help the OP find what they need.

- Patrick
    ======

I continue to be frustrated by this dilemma. I tried all the suggestions made with no real success. I tried resurrecting iPhoto and was told it is not compatible with El Capitan. As I reported earlier I came up with the work around taking individual photos to the desktop as movies and importing them that way. It worked for the project I was working at that time but that was only 13 photos. This project has 200 photos so it is really impractical to use that approach. I then used that method for the entire photo file but it imported the file as a continuous "movie" making it impossible to edit them in the movie and cannot insert transitions between clips. This was so intuitive and easy before these "improvements". Can't believe the technology has moved backward

Frustrated poppi

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    So as I understand it you are still using ElCapitan and the old iMovie version?

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

[QUOTE=rachalmers;1822697]So as I understand it you are still using ElCapitan and the old iMovie version?

Mac O/S is 10.11.6 and iMovie is 9.0.9. When I had my Mac "cleaned up" about a year ago I was told that El Capitan was the latest O/S that will work on my hardware which is early2008

poppi

Photos in iMovie
    Your Mac's Specs
    Mac mini. July 2012
    [QUOTE=poppi;1822738]
    Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post

Mac O/S is 10.11.6 and iMovie is 9.0.9. When I had my Mac "cleaned up" about a year ago I was told that El Capitan was the latest O/S that will work on my hardware which is early2008

poppi
    Ah I see. Thanks. I thought that may be the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Photos in iMovie
    [QUOTE=poppi;1822738]
    Quote Originally Posted by rachalmers View Post

poppi

That is quite true and can be confirmed here.

And I dare say that "updating" to an even later macOS version that some seemed to be alluding to, could have made the problem worse.

It's really upsetting to read about none of the posted suggestions actually working. Bummer. And I guess you've tried other Google searching results without success. Double bummer if that is the case!!!

Can you possibly go back to the previous Mac OS version where everything was working??? At least I gather it was.

That would be my next step.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information