Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Please help! Problem importing video from camcorder
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac (21.5-inch, 2017)2.3 GHz Intel Core i58 GB 2133 MHz DDR4
    Yes, I saw that it wasn't included in your list, which makes me think that even though I can get it wired up, it won't recognize the Sony Cam.

But as far as using another Mac to do the importing,
    will the iMac be able to work with the file from the MBP, being that its an older version of iMovie in the MBP.

And yes it's strange that its only 5-8 min's of video that doesn't transfer to the iMac

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Quote Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
    My iMac is the Late 2017 model with the Thunderbolt 3 ports and it looks like I will need another adapter to connect to the Thunderbolt 2/ Firewire 800, and it looks like that may not work according to one answer I saw regarding this question.
    They were saying this iMac doesn't talk with Firewire, maybe you know something different?
    What exact interface(s) does your camcorder have? If it's a Firewire 800 port, then there don't appear to be any single adapters available to connect to TB3. Using a pair of adapters to force the matter I suspect may not work.

Based on what I'm reading here, it looks like the problem is that the iMac can't write the data as fast as it's being read (you are effectively "outrunning" the cache), and using multiple adapters, even "if" it's an option, may complicate this further. pm-r's advice is on track and it "could" be a failing drive or directory problem of some sort. It could also be your drive is too full and heavily fragmented (do you have an HDD or SSD? How much used/free space?).

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Your Mac's Specs
    It has the FW 400, I've seen posts where the adapters work with TB2, but it looked like the newer TB3 Macs weren't capable of working with the FW. That was only 1 post, answering at least a dozen people asking the same question.
    As far as it being able to write the data fast enough, it's worked on other tapes I've been importing, before and after this tape I'm having troubles with. And my understanding of this cable business, is it only goes as fast as the slowest connection, so I not sure if its being over worked with that FW400 end.
    I currently have 360 of 500 available on my HDD
    Thx

P.S. - I have been importing using a FW 400/800 cable, Sony to the iMac, no adapters in this
    Last edited by benchracer; 05-04-2020 at 09:51 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    Well I received all the appropriate adapters and connected the Camcorder to the newer iMac(late 2017) and it recognized the Sony, all controls through iMovie worked the cam remotely. Did the importing and had the same results with this iMac.

So, an older version of iMovie (El Capitan OS) with a MacBook Pro worked with no issues. Older iMac running High Sierra and the most current iMovie for that OS, missing video just like the newer iMac running the same OS and iMovie.

Going to try updating the newer iMac to Catalonia and that version of iMovie, to see if I get a different outcome.

On the upside the expense of the adapters was worth it, just have to find a version of iMovie that works for me

Thread Information