Please visit the new Mac-Forums Facebook page:
Join Us @ Mac-Forums Facebook Page

Thread: Admin Password!

Unhappy Admin Password!
    I have forgotten my admin password , and dont know what I can do to fix it.

I cant reboot into single user mode or V mode , not sure why. And restarting and holding down the C key do's not work.

I cant restart into the OS X 10.5 DVD installer disk from my computer, as when I click on Restart button once I have clicked on the OS X installer icon ,it asks for a password . This this the message I get To allow Mac os x to make changes to your computer , type in your user name and password."

I would reformat but dont know how to do that with out a password to get into the installer DVD.

Plus all the information I have found on this, seem to relate to os 10.4 and not 10.5 .

I was hoping not to have to take my computer in to the apple shop to get it looked at, as I just got it back, no less then 4 weeks ago. I live a full hour and a half away. And I NEED my computer as I am a real estate agent .And use it on a day to day basis .I dont cair if I have to reformat , but I need to be able to change things.

I cant change things to my computer or backup disk or download updates, or do anything at all.

Also being that this is mac OS X 10.5 a Restore disk was not shipped with the computer.

What can I do?

Admin Password!
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
    What happens if you hold the "option" key after restarting? Does it have a lock symbol?
    Holding "c" after restart doesn't work at all? What happens when you do?
    When all else fails, try everything!
    The Rep System and you.
    Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

Yes it do's . I type in what I thought my password was, and it tuck me to the option's that I had " Hard drive" or "Systems disk" I went into the system disk, went to utilities and change password, and change both my ACOUNT password and my ROOT password. AND IT DID NOT WORK. I tried it 3 times and nothing. This is what I was meant to do write?

What found interesting is before it would not give me a hint, but now after I tried to reset my password it has given me the hint for my password. But it still do's not help me.

ANd I have tried holding down the Apple-C button down 20 times, all that happens is it restarts it self, it do's not start up in the Install dvd , it simply restarts its self into the selected disk , witch is "My Computer".

Admin Password!
    Your Mac's Specs
    The Rep System and you.

June 2008

I have tried that as I have already said so ...twice.

Admin Password!
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by Macman Intel View Post
    Yes it do's . I type in what I thought my password was, and it tuck me to the option's that I had " Hard drive" or "Systems disk" I went into the system disk, went to utilities and change password, and change both my ACOUNT password and my ROOT password. AND IT DID NOT WORK. I tried it 3 times and nothing. This is what I was meant to do write?

What found interesting is before it would not give me a hint, but now after I tried to reset my password it has given me the hint for my password. But it still do's not help me.

ANd I have tried holding down the Apple-C button down 20 times, all that happens is it restarts it self, it do's not start up in the Install dvd , it simply restarts its self into the selected disk , witch is "My Computer".
    Sorry, but that last post is a little confusing. That's why I sent the link.
    If you changed your password, restart and hold the "option" key. You should be able to select the OSX icon and click the arrow key. It will bring you to the Account screen. Select your account and enter your new password, then enter.
    If you're trying to startup with the Install disk, you just need to hold the "c" key and not Apple-c
    I hope this helps clear things up...
    The Rep System and you.

June 2008

"If you changed your password, restart and hold the "option" key. You should be able to select the OSX icon and click the arrow key. It will bring you to the Account screen. Select your account and enter your new password, then enter."

I cant do that, how am I ment to change my password if i cant remeber it to start with?. The system accounts is locked. With no password I cant open it to change it .

Did this too:If you're trying to startup with the Install disk, you just need to hold the "c" key and not Apple-c

Nothing.

Admin Password!
    Your Mac's Specs
    With the Install disk, it gives you the ability to reset the password. That was the link I sent you earlier. (a "how to" )
    If holding the "c" key during startup, with the Install disk, doesn't work, it's possible that an "open firmware password" is in place. Usually, you can tell if you hold the "option" key during startup. A lock symbol will appear, with a space to type in, followed by an arrow symbol. That would stop the ability to startup with an Install disk.

I'm sorry if this seems confusing. I'm trying to explain it the best I can. I'll try to send some links that may help.
    The Rep System and you.

June 2008

Admin Password!
    Your Mac's Specs
    This explains the "Open Firmware Password" and what it does. Also shows what the lock sybol looks like.
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106482

Important: Passwords for administrator accounts should not be blank.

Regardless of how many characters are actually in the password, thirteen bullet characters () will appear in the Password and Verify fields the next time the password is edited.

Resetting the original administrator account password

Follow these steps to reset a password when there is only one administrator account on the computer, or if the original administrator account (of several) needs a password reset. "Original" administrator account refers to the one that was created immediately after installing Mac OS X. If the original administrator password is known, the original administrator user may reset the passwords of other administrator accounts using the steps described above.
    1. Start up from a Mac OS X Install CD (one whose version is closest the the version of Mac OS X installed). You should first disable Open Firmware password protection, if it is enabled. Hold the C key as the computer starts.
    2. Choose Reset Password from the Installer menu (or Utilities menu in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger). Tip: If you don't see this menu or menu choice, you're probably not started from the CD yet.
    3. Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume.
    4. Set the user name of your original administrator account.
      Important: Do not select "System Administrator (root)". This is actually a reference to the root user. Do not confuse it with a normal administrator account.

5. Enter a new password.
    6. Click Save.
    After following these steps, you'll want to also follow the steps in Mac OS X 10.4: Keychain Access asks for keychain "login" after changing login password.
    The Rep System and you.

June 2008

Ok did all that ^ but will delete the Keychain and re set the password that way.

It says in Keychain root certificate not trusted. what dos that mean ?

Thanks for your help, but its just not working. I cant change the keychain password, as I dont know what my old one once, and they new passwords cant be put into effect unless i cange the keychain password.

Admin Password!
    Your Mac's Specs
    The Rep System and you.

June 2008

Thread Information