Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    iCloud Syncing Issue

Question iCloud Syncing Issue
    Whenever I enter a new Calendar event or Contact entry on my iMac or any of my devices, that new event/entry does NOT appear in my iCloud account. However, everything seems to sync fine. BTW, I am running OS 10.15.5. Can someone kindly help me with this? Thank you so much.

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Are you sure when you're creating Calendar events on your iMac that you're creating them under the iCloud calendar, and not under another calendar? For instance, my personal Google account is linked to all my devices and is the default calendar for new events. To double-check this, open Calendar on your iMac and double-click on a date to create a new event. At the top right of the info box that pops up where you enter the details for the new event, it should show the color-coding for the calendar that you're creating the event for. If you click on it, it will show you the name of the calendar. Mine shows it's selected Google calendar, and if I wanted, I could select an iCloud calendar (home or work) instead. If I log into iCloud.com and click on Calendar, of course none of my events show up because they're on my Google calendar, and the iCloud.com Calendar page only shows iCloud events (you can't link 3rd party accounts to it)...but because my Google account is linked to all devices, my devices are all in sync. Hope that makes sense.

You can change the default calendar by going to Calendar > Preferences > General > Default Calendar
    Last edited by usagora; 06-03-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    Jonathan
    2019 iMac (27"/i9/64GB) | 2012 iMac (27"/i5/16GB) | 2013 MacBook Air (13"/i5/4GB) | iPhone SE (2020) | Apple Watch Series 4

iCloud Syncing Issue

Jonathan: I think you nailed it!! My default calendar was Google (i.e. gmail). Thank you so much. But...since you are on a roll, I am having the same issue when I enter a new Contact on my iMac (i.e. it doesn't appear on my iCloud account). Any thoughts?

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Quote Originally Posted by kitjv26 View Post
    Jonathan: I think you nailed it!! My default calendar was Google (i.e. gmail). Thank you so much. But...since you are on a roll, I am having the same issue when I enter a new Contact on my iMac (i.e. it doesn't appear on my iCloud account). Any thoughts?
    Did you look in the Contacts > Preferences? It's probably assigned to google also.
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

iCloud Syncing Issue
    You're welcome! As Bob suggested already for Contacts, go to Contacts > Preferences > Accounts > iCloud and be sure it's enabled
    Jonathan
    2019 iMac (27"/i9/64GB) | 2012 iMac (27"/i5/16GB) | 2013 MacBook Air (13"/i5/4GB) | iPhone SE (2020) | Apple Watch Series 4

iCloud Syncing Issue

Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    You're welcome! As Bob suggested already for Contacts, go to Contacts > Preferences > Accounts > iCloud and be sure it's enabled
    Yes, the iCloud account is indeed highlighted. Although possibly unrelated, I just noticed that when I attempt to enter a new Contact, the new Contact page simply disappears before I finish typing in the name. Same thing on my MacBook Air.

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Yes, the iCloud account is indeed highlighted. Although possibly unrelated, I just noticed that when I attempt to enter a new Contact, the new Contact page simply disappears before I finish typing in the name. Same thing on my MacBook Air.
    One other thing I forgot to mention: to choose the default account for new contacts, go to Contacts > Preferences > General > Default Account

In the Contacts App, assuming you have both iCloud and Google accounts enabled, on the left sidebar you should see (from top to bottom) "All Contacts", "All iCloud", and "All Google". If you create a new contact while "All Contacts" is highlighted (which it will be by default when you launch the app), then that contact will be saved to your default account. If you want to instead save it to the non-default account, you must first click on that account (either "All iCloud" or "All Google") in the sidebar before creating the contact.

Now, I have absolutely no idea why your Contacts app would be "disappearing" when you try to enter contact info. I'm assuming it didn't crash, because you didn't mention receiving a message to that effect. When this happens, hold down the Command key and then press the Tab key once while still holding down Command - does Contacts appear there (indicating it's still running)?

Are you using Command+N or pressing the + button (at the bottom left of the currently displayed contact) to add a new contact (AKA "card")? Command+H would hide the Contacts app (or any app), so I'm wondering if maybe you accidentally pressed that key combo since H is right above N on the keyboard.

If you have accidentally hidden the app, simply click on it's icon in the Dock (or use Command+Tab to select it from the list of active apps) to make it un-hidden again.
    Last edited by usagora; 06-04-2020 at 09:41 AM.
    Jonathan

iCloud Syncing Issue

Jonathan: Under Contacts > Preferences > General, there is no Default Account. FWIW, I am running Contact v.12.

Although both iCloud & Google accounts are enabled, the left sidebar shows my gmail address at the top & All Contacts below it. There is no All iCloud nor All Google.

Finally, you are correct that the Contacts app did not crash. And I use the "+" button to add a new contact.

BTW, thank you for working with me on this.

Kit

iCloud Syncing Issue

I might add that after the new contact disappears while typing in the name, a new contact then appears at the end of the contacts list under "no name".

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Is this a new development? Since it seems like all of your contacts are in google, maybe you have always synced using your google account?

If you want to move them from google to iCloud, then you will have to select (control+A) all your contacts, then move them to your iCloud account.
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

iCloud Syncing Issue

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    Is this a new development? Since it seems like all of your contacts are in google, maybe you have always synced using your google account?

If you want to move them from google to iCloud, then you will have to select (control+A) all your contacts, then move them to your iCloud account.
    To be honest, I really hadn't paid any attention to whether my contacts were in Google or iCloud. I would prefer to have them is iCloud. I think that you might be correct that I have been entering new contacts in my Google account since in the left sidebar All Contacts is indented under my gmail address. Does this imply that All Contacts are listed under my Google account? There is no indication of my iCloud account.

Since my iCloud account is also enabled in Contacts, why doesn't that account appear along with my Google account in the left sidebar?

Thank you for your patience.

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Well, I'm also running Version 12, so double check. Here are screenshots - notice the default account selection area at the bottom of the third screen shot.

contacts-version.jpg

contacts-general.jpg

contacts-account.jpg

contacts-main window.jpg

EDIT: Just realized this is my 666th post on Mac-Forums. Steve Wozniak would be proud!
    Last edited by usagora; 06-04-2020 at 08:19 PM.
    Jonathan

iCloud Syncing Issue

Here is the screen shot from my iMac. Notice that there is no Default Account. On my MacBook Air, the only default options are: Google & On My Mac (no iCloud account in spite of the fact that it is enabled).

file:///Users/kitdilia/Desktop/Screen%20Shot%202020-06-04%20at%207.28.30%20PM.png

iCloud Syncing Issue
    You pasted a link to a local file path on your computer, so it's not going to show up here. Click the Insert Image button on the reply toolbar (3rd button from the right), click Choose File on the From Computer tab, then click Upload File(s).

Perhaps you currently have no contacts under your iCloud account, and thus it doesn't appear in the sidebar?
    Jonathan

iCloud Syncing Issue

Quick question: How do I resize an image that is apparently too large to attach?

Thread Information