Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    iCloud Syncing Issue
    Quote Originally Posted by kitjv26 View Post
    Quick question: How do I resize an image that is apparently too large to attach?
    Open the image in Preview, go to Tools > Adjust Size > change the unit of measure to pixels > change the largest dimension to 800 pixels (the limit for this site) > click OK.
    Jonathan
    2019 iMac (27"/i9/64GB) | 2012 iMac (27"/i5/16GB) | 2013 MacBook Air (13"/i5/4GB) | iPhone SE (2020) | Apple Watch Series 4

iCloud Syncing Issue

I hope that I answered my own question regarding sizing the screenshot below. You could be correct that I might not have any contacts under my iCloud account. If that is indeed correct, what would be the easiest method to copy all contacts to iCloud? Can I do so without deleting them from my Google account?

Thank you for your patience.

Kit
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.28.30 PM.png

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    I hope that I answered my own question regarding sizing the screenshot below. You could be correct that I might not have any contacts under my iCloud account. If that is indeed correct, what would be the easiest method to copy all contacts to iCloud? Can I do so without deleting them from my Google account?

Thank you for your patience.

Kit
    Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 7.28.30 PM.png
    I believe, because you do not have the option, that only your google account is syncing your Contacts.

Look in these locations:

System Preferences > Apple ID;
    Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 12.01.37 PM.png
    Contacts app;
    Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 12.01.56 PM.png
    Contacts > Preferences > General;
    Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 12.02.07 PM.png
    Contacts > Preferences > Accounts;
    Screen Shot 2020-06-05 at 12.05.14 PM.png
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Yes, what Bob says makes sense - it only lets you choose a default account if there are at least two accounts present. To import your Google contacts, simply export them from Google.

1. log into Google or Gmail
    2. click on the 9-squares Google Apps icon at the top right
    3. click on Contacts
    4. on the left sidebar of the Contacts, select Export
    5. select vCard export format
    6. in Contacts on your Mac, go to File > Import, and import that vCard file.
    Jonathan
    2019 iMac (27"/i9/64GB) | 2012 iMac (27"/i5/16GB) | 2013 MacBook Air (13"/i5/4GB) | iPhone SE (2020) | Apple Watch Series 4

iCloud Syncing Issue

Thank you, guys. I think that you both are correct that all of my contacts have been syncing with Google. Let me export/import the vCard file & I will report back.

Kit

iCloud Syncing Issue

I followed Jonathan's instructions & still have no iCloud account listed in the left sidebar of the Contacts app. Similarly, in Contacts Preferences there is no Default Account. Maybe I missed some obvious step??

iCloud Syncing Issue
    I followed Jonathan's instructions & still have no iCloud account listed in the left sidebar of the Contacts app. Similarly, in Contacts Preferences there is no Default Account. Maybe I missed some obvious step??
    Just to be sure, go to Contacts > Accounts (this will open up the Accounts window in System Preferences) > Click on iCloud > be sure Contacts is checked in the list on the right

Then go to Contacts > Preferences > Accounts > click on iCloud > be sure it's checked as "enabled" on the right. If iCloud is not there, add it using the + button at the bottom left.

If you don't want Google linked to your Contacts app anymore, you can click the - button to remove that account, then try importing again, which should ensure that the import goes to iCloud, not Google.
    Last edited by usagora; 06-05-2020 at 08:03 PM.
    Jonathan

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Your Mac's Specs
    I know you posted a screen shot of it before, but just double check.
    No, kitjv26 has only posted one screen shot (in Post #17).
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    No, kitjv26 has only posted one screen shot (in Post #17).
    Sorry - my bad - scrolled up and forgot you had posted screen shots as well...assumed they were his. That's actually good - gives me hope that what I posted might be the missing link!
    Jonathan

iCloud Syncing Issue

Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    Just to be sure, go to Contacts > Accounts (this will open up the Accounts window in System Preferences) > Click on iCloud > be sure Contacts is checked in the list on the right

Then go to Contacts > Preferences > Accounts > click on iCloud > be sure it's checked as "enabled" on the right. If iCloud is not there, add it using the + button at the bottom left.

If you don't want Google linked to your Contacts app anymore, you can click the - button to remove that account, then try importing again, which should ensure that the import goes to iCloud, not Google.
    Well, as Jonathan suggested I can verify that Contacts is checked in Contacts > Accounts > iCloud. Also I can verify that iCloud is enabled in Contacts > Preferences >Accounts > iCloud.

As mentioned before, I would prefer to sync my contacts with iCloud rather than Google. However, if I remove my Google account it seems that I will not only be removing the link to the Contacts app in Google but to my Mail account as well. Definitely do not want to do that. Is there a way to only remove the Contacts link to Google?

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Well, as Jonathan suggested I can verify that Contacts is checked in Contacts > Accounts > iCloud. Also I can verify that iCloud is enabled in Contacts > Preferences >Accounts > iCloud.

As mentioned before, I would prefer to sync my contacts with iCloud rather than Google. However, if I remove my Google account it seems that I will not only be removing the link to the Contacts app in Google but to my Mail account as well. Definitely do not want to do that. Is there a way to only remove the Contacts link to Google?
    Here's another idea: try logging in to icloud.com, clicking on Contacts, clicking on the cogwheel icon on the bottom left, then Import vCard and try importing that way. Surely that would work.

Also, if you simply remove Google from Contacts > Preferences > Accounts (i.e. in Contacts app, NOT System Preferences), it should only disable contacts syncing for Google, not mail (contacts and mail are always separate syncing categories). In other words, you'd only be removing Google from the Contacts App Accounts, not system-wide Accounts.
    Jonathan

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Your Mac's Specs
    If you go into System Preferences > Internet Accounts > Google, then you can select Contacts, and leave Mail.

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    If you go into System Preferences > Internet Accounts > Google, then you can select Contacts, and leave Mail.
    I think you meant de-select Contacts (because he doesn't want to sync his Google contacts), and I have no idea why I didn't think to suggest that to him as well. Thanks! He probably needs to do that as well as be sure it doesn't appear in Contacts > Preferences > Accounts
    Jonathan

iCloud Syncing Issue
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    I think you meant de-select Contacts (because he doesn't want to sync his Google contacts), and I have no idea why I didn't think to suggest that to him as well. Thanks! He probably needs to do that as well as be sure it doesn't appear in Contacts > Preferences > Accounts
    Yup, that is what I meant. Thanks.

iCloud Syncing Issue

OK, maybe I'm getting closer to sorting this all out. I went to System Preferences > Internet Accounts > Google & deselected Contacts. That seemed to automatically disable Google in Contacts Preferences. I then imported the vCard (from Google) into my iCloud account online. However...when I opened up Contacts on my iMac, the left-side column only shows All Contacts indented under On My Mac. No iCloud account shown.

Thread Information