Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mac Mail doesn't load/crshes...

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
    Hi All,

Mac Mail started crashing, won't load in. I get a dialog box box that says three options: ignore, reload, report to Apple. I've done all three on multiple attempts. I get this dialog box right after I double click on the mail icon in my Dock.

I shut down my computer, closing all apps first. I've unplugged and re-booted my router (for my wi-fi), still to no avail. I checked with a friend who is also having recent trouble with Mac Mail but different problems than the ones I'm having. I wonder if there some sort of mail virus going around??

I have a Mac Book Pro running El Capitan 10.11.6. Activity Monitor says I have plently of memory and disk space but Mac Mail has just stopped working.

What to do? Anyone else with this problem?

Thanks for your time and expertise,

Bob M.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    We assume you tried rebooting your Mac?

If you've rebooted with no result, you may want to try reinstalling the Mail app. However, Mail is a part of macOS which can't be removed so you will likely need to reinstall El Capitan over itself. That will not destroy your data or other apps.

But first you might want to try restoring the Mail app from your latest Time Machine backup. Do you have a backup and do you know how to restore Mail from it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
    Mac Mail started crashing, won't load in. I get a dialog box box that says three options: ignore, reload, report to Apple. I've done all three on multiple attempts. I get this dialog box right after I double click on the mail icon in my Dock.
    What is the actual error message on the dialog box? Also, completely random FYI point here, but unlike everywhere else in Finder, you don't need to double-click apps in the dock to launch them - a single click will do
    Jonathan
    2019 iMac (27"/i9/64GB) | 2012 iMac (27"/i5/16GB) | 2013 MacBook Air (13"/i5/4GB) | iPhone SE (2020) | Apple Watch Series 4

Your Mac's Specs
    Sorry,

I might single click that app to start it or I might double click it. It usually works with whatever I'm doing with this and all other apps so I don't think much about it.

Yes, of course, I shut down my computer and then re-booted and as I said, I powered down and then re-booted my router as well.

I will try time machine. I can figure out how to do that.

Here's what happens: I put the cursor on the Mac Mail icon in the dock and click it. The app looks as if it's gonna load in and open (the name 'Mail" appears on the top line, upper left, next to the Apple logo, but for only about a second or two). Then I get a dialog box saying the application Mail has unexpectedly crashed and I'm given 3 options as boxes to click : Ignore, Try again, and report to Apple. I've done all three of these options multiple times.
    When I select (click on) Try again, I get the word Mail in the upper left corner, top line of my computer, next to the Apple logo for about a second or two and then I get the very same dialog box saying the exact same things once again. It's going in a circle and Mail has stopped working, loading. El Capitan was installed on this computer about three or four months ago but everything has been working great since that was done and I haven't changed anything at all. I'm wondering if there's anything else I can try short of re-installing El Capitan.

Thanks,

Bob M.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob M. View Post
    Then I get a dialog box saying the application Mail has unexpectedly crashed and I'm given 3 options as boxes to click : Ignore, Try again, and report to Apple. I've done all three of these options multiple times.
    Is there no expand arrow or any way to see the error log that it would send to Apple? If there is, copy and paste that log here. It might shed some light.

Have you read this?
    Mail App Keeps Crashing With El Capitan, How-To - AppleToolBox
    Jonathan
    2019 iMac (27"/i9/64GB) | 2012 iMac (27"/i5/16GB) | 2013 MacBook Air (13"/i5/4GB) | iPhone SE (2020) | Apple Watch Series 4

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post

If you've rebooted with no result, you may want to try reinstalling the Mail app. However, Mail is a part of macOS which can't be removed so you will likely need to reinstall El Capitan over itself. That will not destroy your data or other apps.

But first you might want to try restoring the Mail app from your latest Time Machine backup. Do you have a backup and do you know how to restore Mail from it?
    It seems to me that Admin chscag's advice is the appropriate way forward.

If you have a Time Machine backup and are comfortable about trying to restore the Mail app, that's stage one: (we can give detailed instructions if you are uncertain)

If you don't have a Time Machine backup or that doesn't work, then reinstalling El Capitan is straightforward. That will not affect your data at all. It involves going into Recovery Mode (reboot holding down the Command and R keys) and clicking on Reinstall OS.

Again, we are here to help and can take you through the steps.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    Thanks for your help and your willingness to help the less technical among us. It is appreciated.

I'll try these suggestions.

Bob M.

Your Mac's Specs
    I have a question on how Time Machine works - Can I just restore the program, Mac Mail, or just the data (all my emails from Mac Mail) or both or either?? Not sure how it works as I've just backed up with Time Machine but never restored something I've lost. In other words, can I pick and choose what I'd like to restore?

Bob M.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Yes, you can restore just what you want. Go back in time in TM to before you had the issue with Mail, then navigate the Finder-like window to Applications, find Mail, highlight it and then click on Restore. That should restore just that one file/folder/application.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Hi Jake,

Thank you for your on-point answer.

Bob M.

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Have you tried these ideas?

I can wire anything directly into anything. Iím the Professor

Prof Hubert Farnsworth

Mac-Forums Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Slydude View Post
    Have you tried these ideas?

They all sound like good suggestions that they could possibly try, but that's IF they can get their Mail.app to actually run properly!!!

I would suggest try running Disk Utility -> Repair and also a boot up using Safe Boot Mode, login and then Restart normally.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    These are all good ideas and I thank you for recommending them. One problem is that Mac Mail only loads in for about 1 second (or so) before crashing and using Time Machine, I cannot restore the Mail program in and of itself without re-installing El Capitan. Mail cannot be restored on its own, so says the dialog box that I get when trying.

I read something on another site that someone here recommended and got closer to the source of the problem. By going into System Preferences -> Internet Accounts, I can make inactive my two internet email accounts. By doing this one at a time, I was able to ascertain that the Mac Mail program works fine with one of my internet mail accounts but crashes with the other email account. So, either this crashing email account has corrupted files, a virus, or just too many damn emails, or something. I'm going thru these emails at the online server and deleting many, many emails and hopefully I'll find the offending ones that's causing Mac Mail to crash when the emails are loaded in.

I've heard that there's third party software can can fix corrupted email files and identify email problems like the one I'm having. If anyone has a recommendation here, I'd be grateful.

Thanks for the help,
    Bob M.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    @Bob M

I was able to ascertain that the Mac Mail program works fine with one of my internet mail accounts but crashes with the other email account
    From an outsider's viewpoint, I'd delete the rascal email account, then reinstate it. Trying to find the cause of the failure is a nightmare; and you may never do.

If reinstallation of the rogue account solves the problem; great. If it doesn't, you may have to operate it from the web, thus protecting your Mail app and the good account.

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Good point Ian.

As I was reading your post and the idea of deactivating one account solving the problem I remembered something. I had an issue like the some time ago.One thing that helped me denitrify the offending email is that I remembered what day the problem started. Because of that I could look to one of the emails from that day as the culprit.

I can wire anything directly into anything. Iím the Professor

Prof Hubert Farnsworth

Mac-Forums Facebook page

Thread Information