Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Apple is making it more difficult to ignore update notifications
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina

I always looked as an "update" as a bug fix issue and maybe some minor feature enhancements on the current OS,
    and an "upgrade" as the next versionof the OS with ahandful of new features.

At least that how my company handled that which develops hardware and software for internet routers and switches.

But I noticed lately that Apple wants to "update" my Mac running Mojave - and the update is not 10.14.7 which is what I expected, but Catalina.
    Right now I'm politely saying, thanks, but no thanks.
    Seems there is a possibility I might wake up some morning and my Mini could be running Catalina with half my apps (the 32-bit ones) no longer functional.
    I sure hope Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to do that, but is there a way to block that if they tried other than turning off WiFi?

Your Mac's Specs
    I sure hope Apple wouldn't be stupid enough to do that, but is there a way to block that if they tried other than turning off WiFi?
    Apple is not going to force an update on you. However, it appears that the nagging to update can not be turned off as before by using a terminal command. But as always, someone will find a way to work around that and then post it in a forum or on the net.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    @krs, don't be paranoid about it. All the article really says is that Apple is making it harder to get rid of the red flag for an update being there, not that there is any forced update. Windows does that, but so far Apple has not. Turning off Wifi (assuming you have no ethernet connection) will stop any downloads, but will also stop any access to the Internet. Turn it back on and the nag will resume. And if Apple goes to automatic installation of updates, the update will be initiated as soon as connectivty is restored. So, basically, there isn't much to worry about or much you can do about it if you want Internet access. But that is not how Apple does things, at least so far. And if they change, the protests will be loud and long, you can count on that!
    Jake

I don't know if this will help any of those so afflicted...???:

How to Disable Red Badge Circle on System Preferences in MacOS
    This article will show you how you can hide and disable the red updates badge from appearing on the System Preferences icon in the Dock on modern macOS releases including Mojave and Catalina.
    OS X Daily - News and Tips for Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Everything Apple
    - Page 2

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Patrick:

It doesn't work very well. As soon as you reboot or another update appears, the badge returns. I know... I tried many times when I was running Mojave and before I was able to update my last critical app to 64 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Patrick:

It doesn't work very well. As soon as you reboot or another update appears, the badge returns. I know... I tried many times when I was running Mojave and before I was able to update my last critical app to 64 bit.

OK, and thanks Charlie.

When I went on the warpath against all the annoying Update notifications and badges I didn't need or want and trying the various tricks at the time, I was able to stop the Notifications and then I just hid any icon with a red update flag attached and made sure it was not showing in my Dock.

Out of sight of mind...

And I haven't received any such OS Update annoyance lately, so I guess Apple finally gave up on me.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    @krs, don't be paranoid about it. All the article really says is that Apple is making it harder to get rid of the red flag for an update being there, not that there is any forced update. Windows does that, but so far Apple has not.
    That is what I'm getting at - yes, today Apple has not forced an update like Windows, but that may not be true tomorrow.
    People are complaining bitterly about the nag notification, so what does Apple do - make it harder to turn that off.

What really got me is this idea Apple has that moving from Mojave to Catalina is an "update" - if I was Mr. Average MacUser I would have clicked on the update, after all one should be on the latest version of the software for security etc. and then suddenly all my 32-bit apps no longer work.
    Moving back to Mojave, unless one has a recent back-up, is a pain.
    Everyone in my family uses Macs but nobody is very technically inclined - when I asked them about 32-bit applications, I just get a blank stare.

I posted on another thread that I downgraded from Catalina back to Mojave. A lot of my programs wouldn't work, which I learned here was because of 32 bit vs 64 bit. The transition was a pain because it took a long time, but having my computer backed up (also was backed up on the cloud) wasn't so bad to restore. As far as the update notifications, I have done them but they all stayed in Mojave. They didn't automatically install Catalina.

Quote Originally Posted by exncite View Post
    They didn't automatically install Catalina.
    ....and I sure hope they never will!

Your Mac's Specs
    As I stated to member "exncite" in another thread he posted, Apple gave users 2 years worth of notices about 32 bit apps not working in the next version of macOS. As a matter of fact the 32 bit prohibition was to go into effect with the release of Mojave but Apple relented and decided to wait until Catalina.

However, member "krs" made a very good point when he stated:
    Everyone in my family uses Macs but nobody is very technically inclined - when I asked them about 32-bit applications, I just get a blank stare.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB blade drive, OS X.15.5.
    Two years? Only two years? Shame Apple shame.

Very funny some of the posts at MacRumours.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Apple gave users 2 years worth of notices about 32 bit apps not working in the next version of macOS. As a matter of fact the 32 bit prohibition was to go into effect with the release of Mojave but Apple relented and decided to wait until Catalina.
    Seems Apple didn't do as well a job in getting that message out to the average user than the transition of PPC processor to Intel which from a user point of view was similar - PPC applications were no longer supported with Lion and beyond.
    That was also a roughly 2-year notification window but Mac Users seemed to have been much more aware of that change.

In general, I findthat Apple was much more customer oriented when Steve was around than now.

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Seems Apple didn't do as well a job in getting that message out to the average user...
    Seems like they actually did:
    Apple warns macOS users that it will drop support for 32-bit apps
    Apple warns Mac users that 32-bit apps will soon stop working | Engadget

As someone who works with the general public on a daily basis, it's no surprise to me that people either don't listen or procrastinate. It is ever thus.
    Last edited by usagora; 05-30-2020 at 05:38 PM.
    Jonathan
    2019 iMac (27"/i9/64GB) | 2012 iMac (27"/i5/16GB) | 2013 MacBook Air (13"/i5/4GB) | iPhone SE (2020) | Apple Watch Series 4

Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    Seems like they actually did:
    Apple warns macOS users that it will drop support for 32-bit apps

As someone who works with the general public on a daily basis, it's no surprise to me that people either don't listen or procrastinate. It is ever thus.

Actually, I would be very surprised if more than a very small percentage of Mac users visited and paid attention to the news from Cult of Mac. It's sort of a cult following site.

I also wouldn't be surprised if such users also just trashed any e-mails from Apple as SPAM and unread that might have been informing them about any such New specific Mac OS detail.

- Patrick
    ======

Thread Information