Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Apple is making it more difficult to ignore update notifications
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Actually, I would be very surprised if more than a very small percentage of Mac users visited and paid attention to the news from Cult of Mac. It's sort of a cult following site.
    Hi, Patrick. The article details what Apple did to forewarn users. I wasn't saying the article itself was the forewarning

And of course, Cult of Mac is not Apple (whom I was referring to when I said "they actually did").

There was actually a pop-up when you opened 32-bit apps (not an email). I remember getting those myself. As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water . . .
    Jonathan
    2019 iMac (27"/i9/64GB) | 2012 iMac (27"/i5/16GB) | 2013 MacBook Air (13"/i5/4GB) | iPhone SE (2020) | Apple Watch Series 4

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I don't know what else Apple could have done to warn users about this other than perhaps advertise on all the major networks here in the US and Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    I don't know what else Apple could have done to warn users about this other than perhaps advertise on all the major networks here in the US and Canada.
    I think Craig Federighi should have called each and every Mac user personally
    Jonathan
    2019 iMac (27"/i9/64GB) | 2012 iMac (27"/i5/16GB) | 2013 MacBook Air (13"/i5/4GB) | iPhone SE (2020) | Apple Watch Series 4

Weeeelll...........

The link posted starts off this way:
    Apple has begun issuing notifications to macOS users that confirm plans to drop support for 32-bit applications.

“This app needs to be updated by its developer to improve compatibility,” reads the warning users will see when they load a 32-bit app for the first time in macOS High Sierra 10.13.4. This is the final version of macOS that will allow 32-bit apps to be opened “without compromise.”

We knew Apple planned to drop support for 32-bit apps from macOS, but those who don’t follow its updates closely will have been out of the loop. Now Apple is ensuring that the move won’t take macOS users by surprise by notifying everyone running its latest High Sierra release.

Starting today, users will see a warning when they open a 32-bit app for the first time, reports Ars Technica. A “learn more” link will take them to an Apple Support document that explains the reasoning behind this decision.
    I just upgraded to Mojave from El Capitan.
    I have a ton of old 32-bit applications on El Capitan and they all, except one I didn't even recognized, was moved to Mojave with no comment or message that Mojave would be the last macOS to support those.
    Just for test purposes to see if there is actually a warning when I try to open a 32-bit app, I launched Toast Titanium 8 which I used years ago and which is a 32-bit application.
    Titanium 8 opened with no message, no warning, just normally, regardless what's posted on that website.

To make things worse, Apple is pushing me to update from Mojave to Catalina - I already had that notification several times in the short period I have been running Mojave.

Bottom line for me - No notification and a push to update to a macOS that won't run a huge chunk of my apps
    No wonder people got caught updating to Catalina and then - surprise, surprise.

The demise of ppc applications was handled much better.

Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    There was actually a pop-up when you opened 32-bit apps (not an email). I remember getting those myself. As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water . . .
    Just tried it by opening a 32-bit app on Mojave as per my last post - no pop-up, no warning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    Maybe what they did with SnowLeopard when ppc apps were no longer supported?

Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    I think Craig Federighi should have called each and every Mac user personally
    It's actually not funny when someone gets caught updating to Catalina, a bunch of apps that worked fine yesterday now no longer work and it's not really obvious why.

But since you mentioned "personal" notification....
    I get an email from Apple about once a week trying to sell me something - Apple has contact info of anyone who ever used the Apple Store for anything, they could have sent out an email that would have covered a large portion of their installed base.

Anyway - water under the bridge.
    Just an indication how the customer-centric approach Apple had is changing.

Anyway - water under the bridge.
    Just an indication how the customer-centric approach Apple had is changing.

I don't know if most people even care or even give a damn, and for those who do and who vote with their wallet, I don't think Apple is too concerned that their Computer revenue is downs $0.2 billion over last year's sales. That's like pocket change for them these days.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    Just tried it by opening a 32-bit app on Mojave as per my last post - no pop-up, no warning.
    Well of course not now, since Catalina has been out for 8 months...

I'm sure I wasn't running a special version of macOS that notified me while others had a version that didn't notify them. And it wasn't every single time you opened a 32-bit app (then people would be complaining about that...can't win!), but periodically (one of the articles said it was one-time per app, but I know for a fact I got the message more than a few times for the same apps).

Look, I'm never hesitant to criticize Apple when i think it's warranted. This is not one of those cases. They made it crystal clear about 32-bit apps. People simply don't pay attention. That's on them, not Apple.
    Last edited by usagora; 05-30-2020 at 05:39 PM.
    Jonathan

I thought we were done on this subject, but your comment has me a bit confused:
    Well of course not now, since Catalina has been out for 8 months...
    What does Catalina have to do with anything?

The warning needs to be there before people update their OS to Catalina.

Did you get the warning when moving to High Sierra or when moving to Mojave?
    I'm wondering if Apple forgot to move the warning from HS to Mojave after they decided to allow 32-bit apps to still run on Mojave.

And when I read the message from Apple again, I'm now wondering if dropping support for 32-bit applications was actually somehow done in two steps. The Apple note quoted:
    “This app needs to be updated by its developer to improve compatibility,” reads the warning users will see when they load a 32-bit app for the first time in macOS High Sierra 10.13.4. This is the final version of macOS that will allow 32-bit apps to be opened “without compromise.
    Bolded parts are mine. but what this actually says is that 32-bit applications will still open on later macOSs, just with less compatibility and with some compromises.

Finally - the key question I would like an answer to/comment about:
    Will all 32-bit applications run properly on Mojave? I always assumed "yes" but now, with the wording of the Warning by Apple, I'm beginning to wonder.

What does Catalina have to do with anything?
    I'm saying the horse has long left the barn. It was a warning for the upcoming operating system, which is no longer upcoming but 8 months into its lifecycle. Yes, many people haven't upgraded yet, but they were already warned that 32-it support was ending. I honestly don't remember what macOS version(s) I was on when I got the warnings, but I definitely got them periodically over a long period of time and immediately took note of what 32-bit apps I used and made plans accordingly.

Will all 32-bit applications run properly on Mojave?
    The only 32-bit apps I've been using on Mojave are Inkscape, Name Manger, Sibelius 6, and QuickTime Player 7. All have been working as well as they always had before Mojave. Obviously I can't speak for other 32-bit apps. I'm on Catalina 10.15.5 on my new iMac and Mojave 10.14.6 on my 2012 iMac.
    Jonathan

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    I have to admit that, like others the warning that the app I was opening would not be supported on the next macOSbseemed a bit hit or miss when I upgraded to Mojave. That is until the first time I ran OnyX for Mojave. Then all of the 32bit apps did this, but only the first time I launched them.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    krs said:
    Finally - the key question I would like an answer to/comment about:
    Will all 32-bit applications run properly on Mojave?
    Obviously, I can only quote from my own experience; but every app that worked on recent previous versions of macOS, still works fine on my iMac running macOS Mojave.

Ian
    Ian

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    From my experience the answer is yes. Mojave was in my opinion a great OS.
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Mojave was in my opinion a great OS.
    Great to see all these positive comments.

I sort of equate Mojave with SnowLeopard - I think that was a great macOS as well and I stayed on that as long as possible.
    I'll probably do the same with Mojave.

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    I think we tend to think of Snow Leopard and Mojave as great because they both have something in common: The end of an era.

Snow Leopard: The last version of macOS to support PPC apps.

Mojave: The last version of macOS to support 32 bit apps.

So... when is the next great end of an era coming?

Maybe when Apple switches away from Intel and goes to ARM?

Thread Information