Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Upgrading from El Capitan to Mojave - 25GB disappeared.
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I'm just wondering if any of the suggestions helped???
    I don't know yet.

Sometimes the notification emails from Mac Forums come in so late that they are off the bottom of the screen by the time they show in my inbox and I miss them.
    I'll try the apps Randy posted, but I know already that the user_library_mail folder is 7GB smaller on Mojave (as I posted above) - I just don't know if that means not all emails were migrated or Mojave just has a more efficient way to store them.

I tried Disk Inventory X, but that didn't help much.

To start with that add gives results that I don't even understand
    Like a size of 3,40.7 for the size of the Seagate drive (the Mojave OS and all Data)
    Or the user folder on that drive with a size of 2,56.7GB

But in general it doesn't provide any more info than what I can get from the Mini via the macOS.

Disk Inventory.jpg

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    It does seem like the biggest discrepancy is in the Users folder.
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

I tried Disk Inventory X, but that didn't help much.

I wonder if this DirEqual.app could help a bit more...???

DirEqual - quickly compare Mac folders.

- Patrick
    ======

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    It does seem like the biggest discrepancy is in the Users folder.
    Yes, but what does a size of 2,56.7GB on the Mojave drive vs 2,94.6GB on El Capitan even mean?

When I went through the sub-folders of the Users folder, the big discrepancy of about 7GB was the users_library_mail folder.

I have to boot back into El Cap to do a message count of the various mail folders, and I have a lot of them.
    Could be that Apple Mail in Mojave has a more efficient way to store messages or their attachments to explain the difference.

Not sure I want to spend too much more time on this - I'll keep the old spinner internal as a back up in case I find out later that some data is missing, but right now everything looks fine.

Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I wonder if this DirEqual.app could help a bit more...???

DirEqual - quickly compare Mac folders.

- Patrick
    ======
    I tried running that last night.
    This app I think is good to compare maybe a folder, but not two 500GB drives - it seems to go through the data bit by bit, just takes forever and with me it never finished.

And, say Mojave uses a better compression algorithem than El Capitan for some files, I assume DirEqual would flag that as being different even though in practice the data is still retained properly.
    I think the app is great to check and validate a back-up but not to compare the data after migrating to a new macOS.

On the weekend, I'll try to find some time to compare the Mail message and folder counts between Mojave and El Capitan - if those are not wildly different I'll just forget about the discrepancies.
    Just strange that I couldn't find anything related to this on google - people are always asking "Where did my hard drive space go?", not "Where did 25GB of free hard drive space come from?"

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    Give DaisyDisk a try. Nice graphical display to help you find big hitters.
    Jake

I haven't done any more investigation on this 25GB disappearing, but based on the recent threads, discussions and articles on the pros and cons of HFS+ and APFS, I think the 25GB disappearing might be perfectly normal since APFS is more efficient in the way it stores and handles some data.
    25GB sounded a lot to me initially, but it's only about 5 1/2% of the 450GB total space used.

Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I haven't done any more investigation on this 25GB disappearing, but based on the recent threads, discussions and articles on the pros and cons of HFS+ and APFS, I think the 25GB disappearing might be perfectly normal since APFS is more efficient in the way it stores and handles some data.
    25GB sounded a lot to me initially, but it's only about 5 1/2% of the 450GB total space used.
    Actually, if you go back to post #17, where you show the results of using Disk Inventory X...you say that it wasn't much help, but if you look at the results, there is something that jumps right out.

Just about everything on the chart on the left, over a certain size, is a tiny bit smaller in the chart on the right. Now, if you don't see any apps or documents that are missing, and your Mac is running just fine, that would seem to indicate to me that, indeed, APFS is a bit more efficient in how it stores things.

And when I think about it, it makes perfect sense. HFS+ was optimized for RDHD's. And so it left room on the physical platter between things for them to grow as you added new data to them, so they would still be contiguous for optimal read performance.

But APFS is optimized for SSD's. SSD's don't need to leave any room between things, as they don't read things based on physical heads moving to different places on a platter. Nothing needs to be contiguous because an SSD can access bits of data strewn across a bunch of registers all at the same time. So there is a lot less wasted space.
    Randy B. Singer
    Co-author of The Macintosh Bible (4th, 5th, and 6th editions)
    Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html

Thread Information