Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    macOS Catalina 10.15.5 released
    Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina

What timing, just bought a new MBA for my daughter that came in this afternoon. Checked for updates and got this 10.15.5, but was confused since my Mac Mini is running 10.15.4, now I know why.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    I installed it, but I don't see the Battery Health function. I went to Sys Prefs/Power Saver, no new button at the bottom as I have seen posted elsewhere. Is there a place to turn it on (the button, I mean, the button is supposed to turn on/off the function).
    Jake

Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
    Your Mac's Specs
    2015 MacBook Pro Retina 13" macOSX 10.15.1
    Interesting the this comes hot on the heels of my recent post in iOS and Apps called "Optimised Battery Charging" an optional setting for the iPhone.
    The post lists a number of do's and don'ts, mostly thanks to Randy, for maximising the health of Li-Ion (Lithium) batteries.
    I just checked for the update which was not there this afternoon but it is now.
    I'll get back when an if I find the button.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums
    Don't be an April Fool: WORLD BACKUP DAY MARCH 31st

Your Mac's Specs
    Aha, I just read the linked article and then went to the linked article in that and there I read that the feature for battery management is only for Mac Books with Thunderbolt 3 ports. See

macOS Catalina 10.15.5 Beta Includes Battery Health Management Feature for Macs - MacRumors

Your Mac's Specs
    I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 13" (2013); 8 GB RAM; SSD 256 GB; OS 10.15.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    Aha, I just read the linked article and then went to the linked article in that and there I read that the feature for battery management is only for Mac Books with Thunderbolt 3 ports. See

macOS Catalina 10.15.5 Beta Includes Battery Health Management Feature for Macs - MacRumors
    Nice find Rod - just updated my early 2015 MBAir and according to this Apple Support Article, going to System Preferences > Energy Saver is suppose to show the screenshot below - well, mine looks the same as in previous macOS versions - of course, I've got an older laptop w/ TB 2 ports - assume the explanation? Not sure what these new TB 3 ports have to do w/ what is describe in the link given? Dave
    Screen Shot 2020-05-27 at 5.10.48 PM.png
    If you are helped, increase the reputation of the poster -

Your Mac's Specs
    AND; like Sidecar is only available for 2016 models onwards, sigh....

Here is the article I found this morning on the topic. See the fourth paragraph down.

macOS Catalina 10.15.5 Update Debuts With Battery Health Management Feature for MacBooks | Technology News

And a better explanation; How to Turn Off Battery Health Management on Mac – AUS-IT
    Last edited by Rod; 05-27-2020 at 08:45 PM.

Your Mac's Specs
    I have 4 Macs, most recent 2020, 13.3 MacBook Air running on osMac 10.15.3
    Quote Originally Posted by jga40 View Post
    Not available in the UK yet ?
    No sooner had I posted, osMac 10.15.5 appeared. I don't have automatically download checked, I prefer to do it manually, like to see what's happening. Perfect upgrade, no problems whatsoever.

Your Mac's Specs
    It is definitely a function on my wife's 2018 MBP just updated today. I'll check I over the next few days just to see if I can notice any changes.

Your Mac's Specs
    MacBook Pro 13", MacBook 12", iMac 21.5", 2x MacMini, iPhone Xs Max
    Just read an article in "9to5Mac" about backups made from Catalina 10.15.5 using CCC won't boot the Mac. I don't use CCC, I use SuperDuper so I tried it and the result is the same. During the copy process it shows the clone being made bootable, but booting from it fails.

This wasn't a Mac with T2 chip where you need to set permissions to allow booting from an external drive. It seems Apple may have added a nasty security "feature".

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 21.5" 3.1GHz Core i7 16GB RAM Catalina. iPad Air. iPhone 6S. iPod nano.
    Just read an article in "9to5Mac" about backups made from Catalina 10.15.5 using CCC won't boot the Mac.

I have 10.15.5 installed and use CCC.

Just tried to boot from CCC and it worked ok. In fact it's a while since I tried booting from CCC but, if anything, it actually seemed to boot quicker.

Just read 9 to 5 Mac and the following is important:-

existing backups are unaffected, and this has no effect on CCC’s ability to preserve your data, nor any effect on the integrity of the filesystems on your startup disk or your backup disk. The impact of this bug is limited to the initial creation of a bootable backup

This link explains all:-

A bug in macOS 10.15.5 impacts bootable backups, but we've got you covered | Carbon Copy Cloner | Bombich Software
    Last edited by pine man; 05-28-2020 at 10:47 AM.
    Peter - I used to be paranoid but now I just worry all the time

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    If you create a brand new CCC backup on a new drive, it won't boot, according to CCC. However, continuing to use a previous CCC backup will boot. And even if you do create a new CCC clone, it can be made bootable.

From the blog at Bombich:
    Early last week we discovered an APFS filesystem bug in a beta of macOS 10.15.5. The technical details of the bug are laid out below, but the short version is that we're no longer able to use our own file copier to establish an initial bootable backup of a macOS Catalina System volume. To be very clear – existing backups are unaffected, and this has no effect on CCC's ability to preserve your data, nor any effect on the integrity of the filesystems on your startup disk or your backup disk. The impact of this bug is limited to the initial creation of a bootable backup.
    He then lays out the process to "fix" this issue:
    If you're running 10.15.5 and you're backing up a Catalina system volume to an empty disk, then you should replace your copy of CCC with the CCC 5.1.18 beta. After you open CCC 5.1.18:

Click the X button in the Destination selector box to clear the destination selection
    Click on the Destination selector and reselect your destination volume
    CCC will then present new UI that will guide you through the procedure of creating a bootable backup, or if you choose, a Data-only backup instead.
    He also sort-of admits the problem with CCC is his own fault for not following Apple's suggestions:

Last year at Apple's Developer Conference, Apple suggested that backup software should use Apple's "Apple Software Restore" (ASR) for cloning APFS volume groups. Initially I dismissed this – I shouldn't have to use Apple's black-box utility to do my job, I prefer to take full responsibility for my backups.
    By not following Apple's guidance, he ended up with a broken product. We've heard that story before...
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Good information Jake. I beta test for CCC so I do in fact have their latest version 5.1.18 beta 1. I did notice that after the installation of 10.15.5, that the CCC backup took twice as long as usual probably because it created a new recovery partition.

It also appears that the no bootable problem was not limited to CCC but also to SuperDuper. Mike Bombich is a very diligent and knowledgeable developer and I trust that he will correct things with a future release.

I actually didn't like Catalina and downgraded back to Mojave. Catalina wouldn't run some of the programs I had installed. It also seemed to slow down my iMac. Wasn't easy but everything is fine now. Sometimes I think Apple is starting to act like Microsoft too much with all these upgrades.

Thread Information