This may be of use to those reinstalling macOS Mojave
    Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    I was having some issues with my late 2019 iMac (specs under my avatar).

After exhausting the usual tricks & tests, I decided to reinstall macOS Mojave.

The Process is easy - Reboot holding down Command + R to enter Recovery Mode. Then select "reinstall OS". That went fine.

Given that macOS Mojave has been out a long time and is succeeded by macOS Catalina, I assumed that the new OS would be 10.14.6. But I didn't check. All was well till I tried to open Photos app. Failed.

Then I discovered that my reinstall was 10.14.4.

You cannot use System Preferences > Software Update because it will not install 10.14.6 on top of 10.14.4. I knew that but tried anyway. Not allowed. Even in Safe Mode, it was disallowed.

The correct way is to use macOS Mojave Combo update for 10.14.6. I did this and it failed. Then I found that this is not uncommon: 10.14.6 Combo Update - Apple Community

From that Link, I found an alternative Apple site that does work: Download macOS Mojave 10.14.6 Combo Update

All is now well.

For the veterans and other experienced users, none of the above may be news; but for others, including me, this was a learning experience.

I hope my comments may help others?

Ian
    Ian

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Thanks of the heads up. It would have been news to me as well. I'd have expected the Recovery step to have installed 10.14.6.

“Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.”
    Kevin Durant

It's a shame they've made it so complicated. System Preferences ought to be "smart" enough to download what you need from the server without you having to jump through hoops. Glad you got it working, though, and thanks for posting this good reference material!
    Jonathan
    2019 iMac (27"/i9/64GB) | 2012 iMac (27"/i5/16GB) | 2013 MacBook Air (13"/i5/4GB) | iPhone SE (2020) | Apple Watch Series 4

Quote Originally Posted by usagora View Post
    It's a shame they've made it so complicated. System Preferences ought to be "smart" enough to download what you need from the server without you having to jump through hoops. Glad you got it working, though, and thanks for posting this good reference material!

+1!!! I'd agree completely.

This is definitely Not The Way Apple used to have the reputation of doing things properly. It would sure be nice if they would get their more recent stuff together and working as it should, or at least as the user would expect and think things should work.

BTW Ian, did your reinstall of macOS Mojave fix your Computer issues and problems I hope.

- Patrick
    ======
    Last edited by pm-r; 05-21-2020 at 04:36 PM.

Born in Scotland, Worked in Scotland then England, Now live in Wales
    Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
    BTW Ian, did your reinstall of macOS Mojave fix your Computer issues and problems I hope.
    Thank you so much for asking - Yes, Patrick. Am I being too pessimistic in adding "for the moment"?

All well for now. That is me, my wife and the computer - but not necessarily in that order

Ian
    Ian

Thank you so much for asking - Yes, Patrick. Am I being too pessimistic in adding "for the moment"?

I'd say No, especially the way many recent Mac OS things seem to be working these days.

But let's hope it actually does fix your Mac OS issue and problem.

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    27" 2019 iMac
    Wow. What the actual what? That definitely isn't how this is supposed to work. Glad you got it sorted, but it just reinforces something I've been saying to myself lately: "Apple? Get your #&%$ together!"

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
    ------
    Links: Onyx | Find Any File | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | DetectX: Malware monitoring and removal | Uninstall MacKeeper
    ------
    Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.

Thread Information