Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bootable macOS Catalina
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I realize the OP would prefer to use the terminal to create a bootable USB flash drive, but if one of the readily available and free software options had been used, that drive could have been created many times over in the time spent so far trying to get the terminal approach to work.

Just saying......
    Perhaps, and then again the Terminal method doesn't require installing a separate single-use application that needs to be removed later on.
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Bootable macOS Catalina
    The DiskMaker application is only 7.5MB, so I just left that in my App folder.

But my situation is different anyway since I had to make several different USB Flash Drive installers for all the Macs in the Family.
    I try to get everyone on the same macOS since it makes trouble shooting easier, but unfortunately that doesn't always work out.

Bootable macOS Catalina
    Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    The suggestion to use DiskmakerX assumes that the OP wants to bootable installer. But post #1 doesn't say that, just that what is wanted is a bootable USB drive.

So, for kribnensis12, what is it you are trying to create?
    Jake

Bootable macOS Catalina
    I assumed bootable installer because of the terminal command that was trying to be used:
    sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Catalina.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia -- volume/Volumes/MacOS\ Catalina
    But I could be off in left field.

Bootable macOS Catalina
    Your Mac's Specs
    Yep, but the OP didn't SAY it clearly. I think you are correct, in which case DiskmakerX is definitely the way to go. I have not managed to get the createinstallmedia command to work, with the same kind of syntax errors the OP has. DiskmakerX works, works well.
    Jake

Bootable macOS Catalina
    Your Mac's Specs
    -->
    Quote Originally Posted by krs View Post
    I realize the OP would prefer to use the terminal to create a bootable USB flash drive, but if one of the readily available and free software options had been used, that drive could have been created many times over in the time spent so far trying to get the terminal approach to work.

Just saying......
    True, but 3rd party apps are never needed for this. Using the correct syntax in terminal and an understanding of the volume names this would have been running long before getting to the web to download 3rd party apps.
    2017 15" MacBook Pro 1tb | 2017 27" 5k iMac | 2016 12" MacBook | 2015 21.5" 4k iMac | AirPods | iPhone 11 Pro | Series 4 Nike Watch w/Cellular | 11Ē iPad Pro | HomePod | Gen 7 Nano | Gen 4 iPod Touch | TV1 | TV3 | TV4 | TV4K

Bootable macOS Catalina
    Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnCL View Post
    True, but 3rd party apps are never needed for this. Using the correct syntax in terminal and an understanding of the volume names this would have been running long before getting to the web to download 3rd party apps.
    The original post was put up about 4.5 hours ago. Downloading DiskmakeX takes 3-4 minutes. Reading the directions, 2 minutes. Executing the command 1 minute. Total of a max of 7 minutes to be running.

Or you can try the Terminal command, run into syntax errors, try to fix, try again, then come here for answers and wait 4.5 hours.

I do use Terminal sometimes, but in this case, if kribnensis12 wants a bootable USB installer, DiskmakerX would have solved the problem over 4 hours earlier.

As I said, I found that createinstallmedia threw up errors every time I tried it. And I very carefully checked the syntax. It just could not find the external drive, despite it being mounted and visible on the Desktop. I tried both the syntax kribnensis12 used and the double quotes method. No difference. createinstallmedia simply would NOT run for me.

DiskmakerX sorted it out.
    Jake

Bootable macOS Catalina
    Enough. The OP has the info they need to get this resolved. If their intention was to do this purely on the command line (while it might scare the most of you), that's what they want. If you can help with them that, great. If not, apps were suggested, no need to debate what the mindset of the OP is.

Thread closed!
    --
    Regards
    ...Ashwin

Thread Information