Help!  Photos.app is corrupt.

Help! Photos.app is corrupt.
    Hi everyone.

I have went through this forum and may others to try and fix this myself and have not found any answers. I hope someone can help.
    I was having issues with my photos. I could see the thumbnails but when I tried to open the photo there would be a big exclamation point. Not all of them, just some. I read in forums to use the restore photos tool. After i did that, I opened photos and now it says my photo library is has become unavailable or its data is corrupt.
    I've tried Disk Repair, I've tried reading all the crash logs. Its all pretty much a foreign language to me.
    Operating system:
    iMac OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
    I have reports and logs but they are HUGE.
    Hope someone can help me. I have so many photos I can no longer access.

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Do you have any type of a backup system to an external drive, in use? Time Machine, clone, or even drag and drop?

Is this the tool you're referring to, How to use the Photos library repair tool - Apple Support
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Hi ferrarr. Thank you for responding to my post.
    I live in Fargo, ND and the closest Apple store is 4 hours away. I looked into Time Capsule and it is too expensive for me right now. I'm pretty new to using Mac's and have just been learning as I go.
    The Photos library repair tool is what i used that messed everything up. I can still preview my actual photos from the photo library. Just one at a time. Is there a alternative application that is like the photos.app that will work on Mac? I went through each photo (thousands) one folder at a time and copied them to a different folder and none were corrupt. I don't know if its the actual app that is not working or my library. Is there a way to tell?
    Is there a online back up service?

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    You can use just about any external drive for backups. You just want to make sure you get one with enough storage space (~ 1-2 times the size of your startup drive).
    -- Bob --
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    trixey29, I am confused. How did you import the pictures into Photos? There are two ways to do that, and you can pick which one to use in the Preferences for Photos. One is to "Copy items to the Photos Library." When you pick that option, the pictures are copied into a database in Photos and stored there. The other way is to leave the pictures in their image files where they are on the drive and only use Photos as an editor for those files. In the first option, when you look at a picture in Photos what you are seeing is what is stored in the database. In the second, what you see as a thumbnail is just that, a thumbnail of the actual picture that is stored on the drive. Then when you open the picture, in that second case, Photos goes to the place where the file for that picture is supposed to be and opens it. If it cannot find it there, you get the "!" because the file is missing. From your description it seems you did, in fact, use option two. While that is totally acceptable, it then becomes your responsibility to leave the image files in exactly the same place as they were when you imported them.

Given you are new to Mac and Photos, you can see what is set in Photos by opening Photos, then click on "Photos" on the top bar next to the  symbol and then Preferences. On the General tab is an option for "Importing" that has a check box. If checked, the items are copied into the Photos database, if un-checked, the items are NOT copied.

As I said, your description of what you see is confusing to me, but it sounds like the files were not copied into the Photos database, and now that you have moved them all, the Photos database will be totally out of sync. At this point, if I have guessed correctly, your best bet may be to create a new Photos database and start over, either copying the files into the database or not, your choice. Personally, I copy my images into the database so that I don't have to worry about leaving them untouched. But it's your call, either way works.
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Following on from Jake, I suggest you create another Photos Library and drag the contents of your new folder into it.

Quit Photos and reopen it this way to get the Library options.

Hold down the Option key on your keyboard.
    Double-click on Photos on your Mac.
    Click on the Create New button in the Choose Library window.
    Name your Library (eg Photos 2).
    Click OK.

You now have a new library into which you can drag your rescued images.

This is the database which will open every time you click on the Photos icon in your dock.
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Thank you badshoehabit. I appreciate your help. I'm sure you are going to laugh but.... Is there supposed to be a Photos.app shortcut in the Pictures folder?

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    There could be an alias for Photos in that folder, but normally Photos app is found in your home folder/Applications. If you created an alias to that application in the Photos folder, it could be there too, with no issues.

Are you saying there IS one there, or are you asking if there SHOULD be one there?
    Jake

Another quick question Sue..... In the photos preference/General tab, Should I click Use as System Photo Library? Because when I click the iCloud tab it tells me "iCloud features for Photos are only available in the System Photo Library"
    I don't want to screw things up more.
    Thank you so much

- - - Updated - - -

There was a shortcut in the pictures folder but I moved it to the desktop. Thanks Jake

It worked!!! Thank you all so much for your help. I could of never done it without you!!
    Do I just click on that little thumbs up to let everyone know that you'll are reputable?
    Last edited by trixey29; 05-21-2020 at 05:55 PM. Reason: wanted to give them q thumbs up.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP Retina mid 2015 15.4" 16GB 2.5 GHz OS Catalina; iPhone 7 128gb; iPad Mini 2, 32gb
    Glad you got it sorted. Bad timing for me in the UK - I was in bed!
    Sue

If the shoe fits, buy it in every colour.

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac, i7 4GHz, 32GB memory, 1TB blade drive, OS X.15.5.
    With her shoes on!

Just click then little thumbs bup trixey29 and add to their reputation.
    Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!

Thread Information