Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I just changed the Macbook Pro to connect to the router via cable instead of wireless.
    Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
    I just changed the Macbook Pro to connect to the router via cable instead of wireless.
    1) How do I know that it's actually using the ethernet cable and not still going wireless?
    2) When the grandkids come over, their phones will be going wireless to the router. Can I assume that the router will accept both methods simultaneously?

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Turn off Wi-Fi, in System Preferences > Network. N

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    1. It should do it automatically when you attach the ethernet cable, however, you can check by opening System Preferences, Network. You do not want to turn off WiFi if you want your grandkids to be able to use it when they come over.

2. Yes, as long as you keep WiFi on, the system will allow both the ethernet connection and WiFi for the iPhones or iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    You do not want to turn off WiFi if you want your grandkids to be able to use it when they come over.
    Depends where you turn off WiFi.
    If you log into the router and turn off WiFi there, nobody will be able to use it.
    But if you turn off WiFi on your Mac only (not the router), then others can use Wifi and you will use ethernet (with a cable connected of course).
    I turn WiFi on my Mac off and on simply by going to the WiFi icon in the main (top) toolbar

Your Mac's Specs
    But if you turn off WiFi on your Mac only (not the router), then others can use Wifi and you will use ethernet (with a cable connected of course).
    That is correct. I should have mentioned it but thinking that you may not be familiar with how it all works...

Anyway, follow the advice by member "krs" and you should be okay for when the grandkids come over.

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    And if not, the grands will be able to fix it for you...
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post
    And if not, the grands will be able to fix it for you...
    LOL.

Reminds me of that old joke: "So easy, that a child could do it". (Disclaimer: Child not included.)

Your Mac's Specs
    Late 2015 iMac 21.5; 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5; 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, Mojave.
    OMG, you are so-o-o right about the grandkids knowing how to fix it. I'm supposed to be the IT guru for the family, after 50+ years as a programmer; but with all the new-fangled stuff, I'm worthless. That's not just computers, by the way. The iPhone was a challenge, too; and I just bought a 2010 Buick Enclave with more buttons, knobs, displays, etc. along with its inch-thick user manual. My 14-year-old granddaughter has no problem answering all of my questions.

Macwin: Thanks for explaining things. That flight deck looks awfully small from the air.

Your Mac's Specs
    Bud, that flight deck IS awfully small from the air, particularly at night...
    Jake

Bud, that flight deck IS awfully small from the air, particularly at night...

I cannot imagine how you guys did it... Night or day!!!

I take my hat off to all of you...

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Nothing to it, Patrick!
    carrier landing.jpg
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    I cannot imagine how you guys did it... Night or day!!!

I take my hat off to all of you...

- Patrick
    ======
    Ditto what he said.

I can't believe I've looked at the pic who knows how many times and didn't realize it was a flight deck.

Which carrier? Or will knowing the answer lead to my demise under mysterious circumstances?
    I can wire anything directly into anything. Iím the Professor

Prof Hubert Farnsworth

Mac-Forums Facebook page

Nothing to it, Patrick!
    carrier landing.jpg

Yeah right...!!! And you are coming in and approaching at how many miles an hour... Or do you use nautical miles per hour???

Still bloody fast, and then the G forces (arresting cable) must be something else!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    Sly, no secret. My avatar is the USS America, CVA-66 (You can see the number on the deck at the of the ship. It's also usually painted on the island.)

Patrick, the A-6 landing speed was, as I recall, about 132 knots (about 152 MPH). The ship tried to get 20 knots of wind over the deck to lower the closing speed, so if it was 20 knots WOD, then the difference between ship and aircraft was about 112 knots, about 129 MPH. Once the hook engaged a wire across the deck, you slowed to a stop in about 300 feet or so. A few G, nothing brutal. (You did have to remember to lock the harness assembly or your face met the dashboard abruptly. Usually that happened once to each crew member, then you remembered that sort-of key step.

I was a bombardier/navigator, sat to the right of the pilot. The picture was, I think from another B/N who just stuck the camera on the dashboard as they got close in. Based on the picture, I'd say they are about 5 seconds from landing, slightly high and to the left of the centerline. (You can see the high from the green and amber lights to the left of the landing area. The amber light should be exactly on a line with the green bars to be exactly on glideslope. You can see the slightly left of center from the centerline of the deck and the line going down the stern. It makes a very slight arrow pointing to the right. When exactly on centerline, the line is absolutely straight. The ship is, of course moving slightly to the right because the deck is angled and you approach from an angle, so the current setup is going to end up with a landing slightly to the left of centerline. Fortunately, nothing is parked on that side. The A-6 just fits between the two lines on either side of the landing area, with the hatched area as a bit of buffer for off center landings.

And now you know a lot more about carrier landings than you ever need! I have 650 of them, 350 at night. But I was young and stupid at the time and somehow it just seemed "normal."
    Jake

Your Mac's Specs
    Here is the full picture that I used part of for my avatar. You can see my pilot, callsign Piglet, in the picture.

Carrier over PigletSmall.jpg

But we've hijacked this thread, so I'll stop posting ancient history for now.
    Jake

Thread Information