Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Time Machine - Backup Runs out of space

Hi Jake

The estimated size of backup is close to the size reported on the SSD. But it gets to that stage of backup and just keeps going…

Really strange.

I’ll have to check the Dropbox sync time.

John

Your Mac's Specs
    MBP 15" Mid 2015, iPhone 11 Pro, an iMac, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMini
    The easy way to test Dropbox and eliminate it from your thinking is to add it to the Exclusion list by clicking on the "+" and adding the folder on your local drive to the list. Then do a backup and that folder will be eliminated from the backup. The backup should be reduced by the size of the folder, but subsequent backups will most likely be about the same 1-1.5GB. TM only backs up files/folders with changes. If all items in a folder are unchanged, the link to the folder is preserved, no new backup is made. If a file in a folder is changed, the file is copied to the backup and the links to the folder and file are moved to the new. It's very complex, and I don't really want or need to get into how it all works, but I really, really would be surprised if DB is the issue at all. But add it to the exclusion list and see what happens. As I said earlier, I use DB, have about 1.7GB in the DB folder and I don't see any issues with it at all. It's just another folder to the system.
    Jake

Thanks Jake - just added it to exclusions... let's see what happens overnight

Your Mac's Specs
    iMac 27 inch Mid 2011 High Sierra & MacBook Pro Retina 15 inch Mid 2015 Majove & various iPhones & i
    Quote Originally Posted by MacInWin View Post

Think you don't use big files? Consider this: if you keep email going back years, that file and the database of attachments associated with it could well be gigabytes of storage, and every new message that comes in changes the file and the entire thing has to be backed up. Ditto for texts if you use Messages. Normally these are not large files, but they CAN get that way.
    Question. Is this really true regarding MacMail? I have about 14GB of mail. But it appears to be saved in many different files, almost all of which do not change.

Hi all - just an update on progress... or lack of... the TM backup with dropbox excluded behaved just as Jake suggested it would. So it seems it's not that. And even with that removed (and the majority of my work involves files saved to and from the dropbox folder) it's been adding 1.5 to 2gb to the time machine backup every day. At this rate it'll take a while to fill, and only then will I discover whether TM starts to manage the oldest backups by itself.

The size of the initial backup remains a mystery... I can find no unusual, unknown or hidden files on the disk - and you'll recall it behaved exactly the same way, with a backup about twice the used drive size, on another, kindly loaned, USB HDD.

I guess this is another of these unsolved mysteries to draw a line under.

I'll post again if/when the drive reaches capacity and TM still refuses to delete old files

Thanks to all for your help
    John

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    I wonder if it has anything to do with "smart" folders or individual apps "smart" features? Moving files and folders, will look like a change to the system.

For myself, in Time Machine, I have my Downloads and Desktop folders excluded from TM, because they are just waypoints, until the files final destination. I also do some moving of files between user accounts, so in the Shared user account, I have an Untitled folder that is also excluded from TM.
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Just 4 days on from my last post saying my backup was going OK so far I've got the "not enough space" message again. 709gb used, 290gb free showing on Disk Utility - should be ALMOST enough space for a whole backup, but a) reporting not enough space and b) TM not managing the old files.

Over the week I've opened, read and/or edited and closed (saving to Drop Box folder for cloud sync) probably getting on for 100 Word, Excel and .pdf files. DB folder has grown by 0.6gb, backup has grown from 692 to 709 gb in the 10 days or so since i did a fresh initial backup of a disk that TM says should be about 360gb.

I'm not convinced it's the disk, as you'll recall I got the same oversize initial backup on a similar borrowed USB HDD

Is it time to accept something strange is happening and draw a line? Anyone any suggestions for an alternative incremental backup program. I already have data backed up via DropBox - but I like having the reassurance of being able to restore the whole drive if the machine goes down or, (in the unlikely event of me striking lucky on the lottery) get a new machine.

John

Your Mac's Specs
    2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, Numerous iPods, Catalina
    Is it time to accept something strange is happening and draw a line? Anyone any suggestions for an alternative incremental backup program. I already have data backed up via DropBox - but I like having the reassurance of being able to restore the whole drive if the machine goes down or, (in the unlikely event of me striking lucky on the lottery) get a new machine.
    Carbon Copy Cloner has a built in option called "Safety Net" where it will store files that have been changed, modified, or deleted when it makes a cloned bootable backup. It will continue to store them as long as there is room on the backup drive. That is similar to Time Machine.

You can also schedule CCC backups to run at a specified time. You can read all about the program on their site. They have 30 day trial period where you can test the program to see if it meets your needs.

Mac Backup Software | Carbon Copy Cloner | Bombich Software

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    that was going to be my suggestion as well. I also recommend that once you make the clone you test to make sure that it is bootable.

You can choose to clone the drive and not make the result bootable but I prefer to have a bootable clone. In the event of a disaster I can boot from the backup and be up and running agin in the time it takes to reboot rather than having to reload everything first. I can save the reload for when I have time.
    I can wire anything directly into anything. Iím the Professor

Prof Hubert Farnsworth

Mac-Forums Facebook page

That’s really helpful, thanks guys

That is similar to Time Machine.

Except for the fact that CCC seems to work a lot better than TM!!!

- Patrick
    ======

Your Mac's Specs
    2.8 GHz 2008 MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone XS, 2015 iMac 16 GB 10.15.5 beta
    Not necessarily. I've been using TM since shortly after it was introduced and haven't had many issues at all. In fact, most of the issues I had centered around backing up to a network drive when that feature was either unsupported or in its infancy.
    I can wire anything directly into anything. Iím the Professor

Prof Hubert Farnsworth

Mac-Forums Facebook page

Your Mac's Specs
    L2014 Mac mini macOS 15, iPhone 11 iOS 13, 1st Gen 12.9" iPad Pro iPadOS 13
    Quote Originally Posted by pm-r View Post
    Except for the fact that CCC seems to work a lot better than TM!!!

- Patrick
    ======
    That's more of a personal preference.

I believe more users have issues with TM, because more users use it.
    Please backup. Everything has a life cycle, unexpected and warning free. Nothing will last as long as you want it to.
    PS: When there is an accident or error, is the tool to blame or is the fool to blame?

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarr View Post
    That's more of a personal preference.

I believe more users have issues with TM, because more users use it.
    Yes, you could well be right - TM has the great attraction (and hence take up) that it's free with the OS, so I guess that's what most of us go for... until we have an issue!

I think I'm going to give CCC a go under the 30 day free trial... I can judge how well it works for me then

John

Thread Information